Author Topic: Concours 14 Paint Colors  (Read 16183 times)

elp_jc

Re: Concours 14 Paint Colors
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:48:23 pm »
Black is the worse color on a fully-faired bike from a safety standpoint. It's MUCH better to be more visible. In fact, no black bike, jacket or helmet were the 'conditions' my wife gave me to ride. I personally believe we all should ride like if were invisible (I do), meaning color doesn't mean much when you ride defensively. But doesn't hurt to be visible either. So to keep her happy, I comply with her wishes. That meant a freaking frog green bike at my 53, but nobody can see that with a helmet on ;D. And if somebody ever hits me, they won't be able to claim they didn't see me. He he. Bottom line is most mature people I know prefer other than black colors (probably for the reason mentioned above), and Kawasaki should deliver that on a sport-touring bike bought by  mature people IMO. Having said that, the green is not that bad, and visible from space, so all good 8).

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 08:04:14 pm »
That article was probably just wrong.  See:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2010-kawasaki-concours-14-abs-ar80297.html  "The only 2010 color available is Candy Neptune Blue/Flat Super Black."

and

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2010-kawasaki-concours-14-review-88880.html  "If you want the 2010 Concours 14 you can have it any color you want as long as it's Candy Neptune Blue."

and

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_concours_14_2010.php  "Color options:   Candy Neptune Blue"

Every year except 2008 and 2010.  I don't know why either.

Black looks really great, but only when is good condition and when perfectly clean, which is about never.  It shows every speck, every scratch, has poor visibility, is very hot in the sun, and is difficult to clean.  I owned only one black vehicle in my life, and never will again.

For some reason they believe it is what we USA'ians want.  I suppose they have some type of marketing data to back it up.

Well I guess I can't believe everything I read -  THANKS for setting the record straight.   :chugbeer:

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 05:16:44 am »
  I was in Belgium a couple of years ago and as I was passing a Kawasaki dealer, I happened to see the Metallic Green (Forest Green) C-14 sitting out front. Wow! What a gorgeous color! It looked so classy. If they would bring that color here in the US, I might think about trading the old '08.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
Never have figured out why every year they offer black and only one another color.

Updated for 2017.
This is the third time they have NOT offered black.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 07:32:25 pm »
Hmmm, 2010 Neptune Blue was so close to appearing black I'm sure they thought why offer it that year. My '10 is frequently mistaken for black unless
it is sitting in bright sunshine. My favorite color in photos is the European Green from 2011. I've never seen it first hand.  :(

So, no 2017 model for the EU...some new stricter emissions restrictions cause that or...what??
edit: Ok I just read this:http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22019.msg273367#msg273367

Black is the worse color on a fully-faired bike from a safety standpoint. It's MUCH better to be more visible.

Agreed, especially at night. However there are some that have other thoughts on the subject.
 Second/multi-hand story so actual source is in doubt: A truck driver said that "Silver and Gray are the worst colors because blacktop is only black for the first 4 months. Then it becomes gray like concrete roads. The silver and gray bikes disappear into the pavement if their lights are out or misaimed. Black bikes are much easier to see down the road than silver ones are, but nothing "POPS" like those Yellow Goldwings do."

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:33:14 am »
" Second/multi-hand story so actual source is in doubt: A truck driver said that "Silver and Gray are the worst colors because blacktop is only black for the first 4 months. Then it becomes gray like concrete roads. The silver and gray bikes disappear into the pavement if their lights are out or misaimed. Black bikes are much easier to see down the road than silver ones are, but nothing "POPS" like those Yellow Goldwings do."

I discovered long ago when traveling heavy highway miles with a radar detector that asphalt grey cars give you "just a little more chance" to spot speed traps than a bright red or yellow car. They don't show road grime (snow excepted of course) quite so badly either.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:25 pm »
Speaking as someone with a silver car AND bike, I know that they (silver/grey) are not the most visible color.  They are indeed difficult to see in many road conditions.  I love the color, and it really stays pretty and cleaner than any other color.  But visibility is a good reason to have ample lights and reflectors (which is why I added reflectors on bags, extra tail/brake light, and front/side running lights).  So I can have my cake and eat it too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:46 am »
Silver detunes visibility during fog and rain also. 

I have a white helmet and a DayGlo jacket for hot weather, but my serious gear is leather and it's black, grey and white.  I like visibility but it's always a fashion struggle between that and something more stylish.   But fancy helmet paint jobs always cost more, so I rationalize my non-fashion helmet as frugal and visible.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:46 pm »
In 2010 you only list the Candy Neptune Blue.

In the MCN August 2010 magazine it ALSO lists Flat Super Black.

Never have figured out why every year they offer black and only one another color.
I know a lot of you like black - it's just not my choice for any vehicle I would want to own.
Black can look really good when clean and shiny.  Hard to keep it clean though and it gets hot.

So many other colors to choose from, I really don't why they think they have to offer black every year.
Especially since they don't offer it in other countries.

IMHO the Gen 1 black Connie with silver wheels is awesome when clean. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years, and it still looks and runs like new after 78000 miles .

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:34:25 am »
In 2010 you only list the Candy Neptune Blue.

In the MCN August 2010 magazine it ALSO lists Flat Super Black.

I'm fairly certain that they are simply referring to the frame/lower fairing colors. In some photos or poorly lit showrooms the Candy Neptune Blue can look black, so that year they (Mama Kaw) frequently mentioned the secondary color to highlight that there are really two colors there. Just a guess, but then maybe somewhere someone actually wanted a Sport tourer painted flat black? :o  oops..sorry I meant flat SUPER black...I'm sure there's a difference. ::)

IMHO the Gen 1 black Connie with silver wheels is awesome when clean. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years, and it still looks and runs like new after 78000 miles .

I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.  I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:41 pm »
I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.

I don't have personal experience with black wheels, but I can't imagine that glossy black wheels would be any easier to keep clean than the silver ones.

I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

Well, I am not one of them :)  The only real "looks" difference between the gen1/2 is just the side fairings (and perhaps mirror placement).  I prefer the gen2 look.  That is not to say the gen1 isn't nice too, I just think the gen2 looks even nicer.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:27 pm »
I'm fairly certain that they are simply referring to the frame/lower fairing colors. In some photos or poorly lit showrooms the Candy Neptune Blue can look black, so that year they (Mama Kaw) frequently mentioned the secondary color to highlight that there are really two colors there. Just a guess, but then maybe somewhere someone actually wanted a Sport tourer painted flat black? :o  oops..sorry I meant flat SUPER black...I'm sure there's a difference. ::)

I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.  I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

I meant to say that the black Gen 1 without the black bazooka donkey dong  ;D is my favorite color.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »
I meant to say that the black Gen 1 without the black bazooka donkey dong  ;D is my favorite color.

Well, now you're just wrong. I love my big black bazooka donkey don......ah.....wait, what?  :o  :yikes:  :doh:

...er... I like a nice quiet performance neutral muffler like the one that came stock on my C14,
 it just happens to be mostly black and a little larger than it should be.

(There, I think I saved that from where it was headed. ?)

Offline O.C.

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:40:37 am »
I don't have personal experience with black wheels, but I can't imagine that glossy black wheels would be any easier to keep clean than the silver ones.

Correct, I have Black wheels on my current C14 and they aren't easy to keep clean (not that I'm a polisher) I have had Silver wheels on previous C14s and they don't show dirt quite so obviously
CARPE DIEM

KLZ 1000 GT SE ..GREEN

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:04 pm »