Author Topic: Tell me about your experience with using a "smart" power distribution unit  (Read 6090 times)

Offline lonekazoo

I've recently picked up some used heated gear (jacket liner and gloves) that came without a controller.  I'd like to set my wife up with a set as well.  I've also added to the bike carbon-fiber heated seat pads, a GPS, cell phone charger, XM radio, etc.  Obviously I'm to the point of needing to add a fuseblock of some kind to handle the extra power requirements.

In the process of looking for a decent heat controller for my new gear, and a fuseblock, I stumbled upon a couple of bluetooth controlled power distribution units that have built in PWM capability on the outputs for heated gear and dimming external lighting.  One of them even has a temp probe that allows you to program settings so that your heated gear will automatically turn on to a certain setting at a certain ambient outside temperature.  It can also turn on/off lighting according to sunrise and sunset, and several other features.  Does anyone have any experience with these things?

The two PDU's I've found (and there may be other ones out there) are the "Motobrain" and the "Neutrino Black Box".

In theory it sounds really cool to have a phone or tablet set up to control the outputs, but in reality it might not be practical (gloves, rain, etc).  Both of them, however, appear to work fine without the phone nearby.  The appeal for me right now is that the cost I would save at this point from not having to buy a set of dual controllers would almost pay for one of thesePDU's.

I like the Motobrain for it's method of attaching outputs, but check out this cool promo video on the Neutrino:

http://www.arborealsystems.com/Arboreal_Systems/Video_Intro.html

Anyone using one of these smart PDUs (and specifically one with PWM capability) on their C14 and care to share their experiences?  Should I stick with a standard fuseblock and conventional controllers? 

I've read a bit about them on advrider, but nothing specific to the C14.

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:06:25 PM by lonekazoo »

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Tell me about your experience with using a "smart" power distribution unit
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
I've recently picked up some used heated gear (jacket liner and gloves) that came without a controller.  I'd like to set my wife up with a set as well.  I've also added to the bike carbon-fiber heated seat pads, a GPS, cell phone charger, XM radio, etc.  Obviously I'm to the point of needing to add a fuseblock of some kind to handle the extra power requirements.

In the process of looking for a decent heat controller for my new gear, and a fuseblock, I stumbled upon a couple of bluetooth controlled power distribution units that have built in PWM capability on the outputs for heated gear and dimming external lighting.  One of them even has a temp probe that allows you to program settings so that your heated gear will automatically turn on to a certain setting at a certain ambient outside temperature.  It can also turn on/off lighting according to sunrise and sunset, and several other features.  Does anyone have any experience with these things?

The two PDU's I've found (and there may be other ones out there) are the "Motobrain" and the "Neutrino Black Box".

In theory it sounds really cool to have a phone or tablet set up to control the outputs, but in reality it might not be practical (gloves, rain, etc).  Both of them, however, appear to work fine without the phone nearby.  The appeal for me right now is that the cost I would save at this point from not having to buy a set of dual controllers would almost pay for one of thesePDU's.

I like the Motobrain for it's method of attaching outputs, but check out this cool promo video on the Neutrino:

http://www.arborealsystems.com/Arboreal_Systems/Video_Intro.html

Anyone using one of these smart PDUs (and specifically one with PWM capability) on their C14 and care to share their experiences?  Should I stick with a standard fuseblock and conventional controllers? 

I've read a bit about them on advrider, but nothing specific to the C14.

Thanks,

George

I just put this on my bike this weekend. Install took a while because I rerouted wires and soldered all connections. Finding a spot uner the seat was difficult too but figured it our eventually. I also added a Terminal Block for all my grounds. The PDM is solid state so ne fuses, more like a breaker box. The unit is programmable and allows you to increase/decrease the Amp rating for each circuit. Everything was nice and clean after the install. All wires that were on my battery are gone and under my seat now. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
... and the "Neutrino Black Box".

Just found this write-up on the Neutrino you listed... might be worth a read: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/neutrino-black-box-v2-review/
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »

Just found this write-up on the Neutrino you listed... might be worth a read: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/neutrino-black-box-v2-review/

I read it buyt couldn't pay the $300. I had a hard enough time forking out the $200 for the PDM. I will do something like the Neutrino for my next bike and I will definitely be doing that because it makes wiring up accessories so much nicer!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
I read it buyt couldn't pay the $300. I had a hard enough time forking out the $200 for the PDM. ...
'

Yeah... I just use a Fuzeblock. I don't need anything smarter than me on my bike (and a Fuzeblock is even close to being smarter than me).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Wandrng

• Wandering the back roads of the USA & life
    • Wandering Back Roads
Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 --  2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: