Author Topic: JC Whitney trunk  (Read 9841 times)

Offline ruffride

JC Whitney trunk
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
I installed a JC Whitney trunk on a Givi rack. I recommend using a Givi rack or making a custom rack yourself. The provided mounting hardware is the weakest component of this trunk. It is possible to mount the provided trunk plate on the OEM rack but I highly discourage that approach. It fits just fine on the Givi. The trunk functions the same as a Givi and is quite a bit less expensive.

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: JC Whitney trunk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »
Nice! I have a very similar one that I paid something like 80 bucks when I got it, the Givi was 220.
What's the price of the Givi trunk and how much this one costs?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
Did the trunk fit exactly on the Givi mounting points & latch?? Or did you have to do some modification to get it to fit?  It seems the fit depends on who makes the trunks for JCW & Sometimes they fit and other times not.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »
Did the trunk fit exactly on the Givi mounting points & latch?? Or did you have to do some modification to get it to fit? It seems the fit depends on who makes the trunks for JCW & Sometimes they fit and other times not.
If you're wearing Depends, you may want to leave the trunks at home. :o
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
I got lucky on mine, found it on Ebay along with the new aftermarket metal luggage rack the same color as my bike for something like $125 shipped...
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline ruffride

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
My trunk was @ $70.00 from JC Whitney. The trunk fits fine and latches to the Givi rack no problem. The only issue that you may have is a bit of play vertically at the back while latched. The remedy is to build up the rubber bumpers or spacers under the backside of the trunk. There is a bit more play at the rear of the top box than that of a stock Givi top box on a Givi mount. I first mounted it with a rack I made with Givi mounting hardware and an aluminum plate. It had the same spacer issue. I saw a Givi rack at a great price so I purchased it and replaced my “custom” job. I have had no issue with the trunk or stability at speed. It has been up to 125mph with no problems.

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
The trunk fits fine and latches to the Givi rack no problem. The only issue that you may have is a bit of play vertically at the back while latched. The remedy is to build up the rubber bumpers or spacers under the backside of the trunk.

my experience exactly.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
Does it come with the stuffed <whatever that is>? ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
I had one on my KLR 650. 

I recommend putting a gasket in the lid.  It will make it waterproof when closed. 

Personally, I don't think the JCWhitney trunk goes with the look of the Concours.  I think it was fine for the KLR, but think it cheapens the look of the Concours.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline ruffride

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »
Rhino,

Lol that is my pig. He rides with me. One day I fear he will decide to bail and I will be left alone.

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Rhino,

Lol that is my pig. He rides with me. One day I fear he will decide to bail and I will be left alone.

Best,

Jon

When pigs fly!  ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
Cheapens the look of the Concours, maybe ... but increases the value of one's wallet.
Then just stick a free milk crate on there.  A second milk crate, some zip ties and a lock and you have a free top box.  ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
Will a gasket make it waterproof?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »
Will a gasket make it waterproof?
It will only make the seam between the crates waterproof. For complete coverage you will need a large tough yard bag. These can be obtained at any local garbage dump and repaired with duct tape if needed (it will be needed). For details and assistance contact your local KLR rider.

Now if you've got money to burn you can go all crazy and get an Igloo like I did on my Trail 90.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »
Now if you've got money to burn you can go all crazy and get an Igloo like I did on my Trail 90.

I had to click on that link...  :banghead:

;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
Thanks.  Now I won't.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
I had to click on that link...  :banghead:

;D
Thanks.  Now I won't.

Sorry guys, I didn't think using a cooler for a top case was going to so offend your sensibilities. I'm glad I didn't use a milk crate.  ::)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
There's no telling what sets these guys off.  ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Sorry guys, I didn't think using a cooler for a top case was going to so offend your sensibilities. I'm glad I didn't use a milk crate.  ::)

We have certain standards you know.... :o ::) :rotflmao:   Loosely interpreted but standards never the less.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.