Author Topic: Reflective Trim Night Visibility  (Read 7891 times)

Offline ruffride

Reflective Trim Night Visibility
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
I added a bit of reflective trim to the back of the bike. It lights up quite nicely at night but is goes relatively unnoticed during the day.

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Reflective Trim Night Visibility
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
I added a bit of reflective trim to the back of the bike. It lights up quite nicely at night but is goes relatively unnoticed during the day.

Best,

Jon

Hi Jon, good add-on. I added the same reflective tape when I first bought the bike. That tape (you can barely see the tape on the rear of my bags), along with my rear lights, makes it much easier to see me from behind!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:36:38 AM »
What kind is it and where did you get it and how much was it and it looks like it would really have an impact at night.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
What kind is it and where did you get it and how much was it and it looks like it would really have an impact at night.

They're called "Tailbrights" and you can get them here -> https://www.bucksporttouring.com/
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
Real Time Industries makes some pretty good ones as well.

I thought they made reflectors for the GIVI e55 Maxia top case as well but I don't see it on their website currently. I have some on my top case, pretty sure I got them from Real Time, but sometimes I forget stuff and then my memory makes up stuff to fill the empty space.  :-[

Many top cases have extensive red plastic on them with nothing more than some aluminized paper behind them. I removed mine and back-filled it with silver reflector tape from Walmart. It lights right up now. I'll get an updated photo of mine and put it up in a few.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
Great.  Thanks for the info.  Been thinking about doing this and have been waiting for a post like this to come along so I can get the details.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »
I did this to mine as well. Sure makes you more visible at night.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
Also did it to mine (just the two rectangular pieces on the back of the bags).  It helps make the bike more visible and "larger" so it is a cheap and easy safety enhancement.  In the daytime, you almost can't tell it is there.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AlanS

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
Why would you not want to make the bike more visible during the day by using red reflective material.
The same drivers that would not see you at night, also drive during the day.
Don't Panic!
'08 Suzuki DR650SE Mootzimo
'09 Honda GL1800Navi/XM HAFACAR
'12 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
Why would you not want to make the bike more visible during the day by using red reflective material.

I can't speak for others, but I can for myself :)  Because my bike is nice looking and I don't want tacky red stuff visible in the day ;)  In the day, the bike already is pretty visible... night is always more of a challenge.  Not sure a little passive red in the day would help much.  But I enhanced visibility in both by adding an Admore light bar tail lamp on the rear and turned the front signals into running lights.

Everything is a trade-off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »
You guys seem to be implying that drivers are looking where they're going  :-\

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
You guys seem to be implying that drivers are looking where they're going  :-\
  ;D
Unfortunately you make a very good point.

Regardless, just in case there are one or two out there that do look where they are going....
I'll get an updated photo of mine and put it up in a few.

Here with no flash

Here with flash

Yeah, I know, it's filthy.  ::) I need to was....wa..w......park it in the rain for awhile.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »

For the same reason manufacturers don't sell day glow orange cars and motorcycles, aesthetics. We want to look good when we are riding. This 3M material is almost exactly the same color as the non-painted surface of our side cases. So for nearly zero difference in what the bike looks like when you bought it, you get WAY more visibility at night.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
I have the same kind of reflective stuff, but tape form in different places:

But here are some pics with no flash:

I got mine from http://www.streetglo.net/reflective.tape/

I also have it on my helmet and it blends in nicely (can barely tell it's there until lights hit it).
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline ruffride

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:30:08 AM by ruffride »
Enjoy the ride