Author Topic: New Connie owner from arkansas  (Read 6867 times)

Offline hulkette

New Connie owner from arkansas
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
Just bought a brand new 2015 Connie (Kawi green) on the 30th october. already put 1400 miles on her and she is a great bike. Those battle axe tires really are crap though. What do you guys suggest? anyway I named the bike "HULKETTE". The 1000 mile ride I took on her taught me that I need 3 major upgrades. 1.Those tires are crap! 2.After 100 miles that seat is like riding on a piece of lumber. 3. Cruise control (or throttlemeister).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New Connie owner from arkansas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:25:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, hulkette! :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »
Welcome Hulkette.
Your gonna like it here!

Lots of opinions on tires out there.
 Mine,,, buy some Michelin Pilot Road 4's, or Pilot Road 4 GT's...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
Welcome.

Tires - PR4
Seat - try an AirHawk R  Cheaper than a new seat. 
Cruise - a McCruise is the best and a throttle lock can't compare.

Just my opinion.

Offline hulkette

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks for your opinions I'm making a 2k run in december and want some cruise

Offline hulkette

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
Ok as far as tires go, I occasionally ride agressively on highway 5 and state 300. I unfortunately spend more time on the intersate. I want tires that are suited for the interstate, but don't make the hulkette feel like a mac truck around the twistys.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
PR3 or PR4..  Good tires all around as far as I've found.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 02:04:44 AM »
PR3 or PR4..  Good tires all around as far as I've found.

+1...and welcome. I love the green colour, pity I can't get that this side! Enjoy mate!!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
Ok as far as tires go, I occasionally ride agressively on highway 5 and state 300. I unfortunately spend more time on the intersate. I want tires that are suited for the interstate, but don't make the hulkette feel like a mac truck around the twistys.

Welcome to the forum! Can't go wrong on PR4's. I've done highway 5 on PR4's and took some interstates to get there.

Offline hulkette

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »
Thank you rhino we will have to do the fun highway 5 route together one day. I may be a bit slower than you because I'm almost always two up. My wife loves to ride (found a good one I did).

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Just bought a brand new 2015 Connie (Kawi green) on the 30th october. already put 1400 miles on her and she is a great bike. Those battle axe tires really are crap though. What do you guys suggest? anyway I named the bike "HULKETTE". The 1000 mile ride I took on her taught me that I need 3 major upgrades. 1.Those tires are crap! 2.After 100 miles that seat is like riding on a piece of lumber. 3. Cruise control (or throttlemeister).

I tell my ridin' buds and anyone else buying a C-14, to get the dealer to swap the 021 Crapstones before taking delivery. That way your first impressions of the bike will be all good, and not ????WTF?????WTF?? when you hit the twisties. PR4's rule, especially 55 series rear.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
I ride my C14 all over the Arkansas twisties a lot, many times per year.
I totally agree with everyone else's advice about PR4 GT's. They rock!
I had been a PR2 user for a long time before they discontinued the 190-55ZR17 rear.
That's another thing you should consider doing- go 55 rear. Read up. Lot's of opinions. For me, it's the only way to go.

I tried 4 different seats before I got my Kawasaki Gel seat. Love it. Bought it used from a member for $275. Now, no problems riding 10 hr. days.

Another cruise option... Rostra. Much cheaper than the McCruise.
The McCruise is pretty much plug and play. Rostra is a universal system.
I've got a Rostra, and mine's worked perfect for 3 1/2 years now. I put it on myself in about 10 hours.
Average time is a weekend.
Read up! Lots of info, and these bikes have a huge aftermarket. Lots of changes available to make it fit YOU.

Congrats on the new bike! You chose a real winner when you chose a C14. I love my 2011. I bought mine new in April 2012. It now has 34,000 miles, and I've had -0- problems. It's never been back to a dealer for any warranty repair or problem.

Whatever tires you choose, living in Arkansas... You better go with the best you can get. Those chip and seal twisties will totally destroy cheap tires in a weekend of hard riding!
And that gets expensive... Quick!

Again... congrats on the new bike. Above all... ride safe!
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »
Lol!
As pricey as they are now, we sure don't want that to happen!

Their price was why I held out for so long to buy them...

Worth it, though.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Lol!
As pricey as they are now, we sure don't want that to happen!

Their price was why I held out for so long to buy them...

Worth it, though.

When you consider the size of the contact patch involved, price should have no consideration- after all, most of us bought this bike for fun and safety, and PR$'s deliver the best of both- safety being a relative term.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
I agree, and disagree a bit.
There are other tires out there that may be equal to the PR and cost less.
I have not used them and can't compare, but others have highly recommended them.
So certain others are certainly worth a try.

This has turned into a tire discussion. Want to get back to our new Connie Owner.
Hulkette, in what part of Arkansas are you located?
I think that COG has 2 rides planned in Arkansas next year.
Come ride with us and get to know the folks.

You'll fit in the group well.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
Hi and welcome. I recommend Michelin PR3/4's for your bike. I have the 3's on now and they are amazing. Am gonna go on 4's next tire change.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline hulkette

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
I do love this bike. I have decided to go with the PR4s. With the stock tires it is a bit hesitant in the twisties which I don't care for. My buddies fjr has prs and it eats the twisties up great. I still like my Connie better than his fjr though. I hope the tires make as much a difference as people say. Thanks for all the advice/opinions. I have been considering making it a custom carbon fiber bike like I did with my m109, but the green is just so beautiful!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Congrats on the new bike and best of luck with three major upgrades :-)  This is a big bike and has lots and lots of room for farkles....

Lot of useful information around about these bikes now so it should be fairly easy to outfit a new C-14.

Quite a few choices on saddle and saddle / cushion combos; mine is a Corbin wearing an Airhawk but it would depend on how long you need to sit on the bike- the Airhawk alone might work well enough on the stock saddle if you are not spending a long time on the bike.

As far as cruise controls go, you really only have two choices: the Rostra, which is about $200 - $250 but takes some light fabricating and hand- wiring, or the McCruise which is either Plug 'n Play or extremely close (some units require a spliced wire or two but no mechanical work beyond installation) and was around $1,100 last time I looked. Then there are about a gazillion varieties of throttle locks ranging from a $1 rubber band to some pretty sophisticated mechanical contraptions. But do bear in mind that none of this last group is a true, speed regulating, cruise control.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com