Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 107924 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2015, 04:36:54 am »
Already have the seat off....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2015, 05:10:32 am »
You're halfway there ...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2015, 05:54:48 am »
You're halfway there ...

No kidding, this kind of tuning is the easiest way to improve engine operation I've ever seen. 5 minutes removing and reinstalling the ECU, and 300.00. compare that to jetting with carbs... wow this is easy.  :thumbs: :thumbs:  Steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2015, 12:57:00 pm »
I have not even looked under the seat yet but does the battery need to be disconnected before removal?
Wayne

No kidding, this kind of tuning is the easiest way to improve engine operation I've ever seen. 5 minutes removing and reinstalling the ECU, and 300.00. compare that to jetting with carbs... wow this is easy.  :thumbs: :thumbs:  Steve
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2015, 01:29:44 pm »
I think it would be wise to do so...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2015, 01:44:24 pm »
I think it would be wise to do so...

I agree.  I am pretty sure I did when I removed mine to send to Ghul.  Better safe than sorry- the ECU is expensive!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2015, 02:47:04 pm »
I haven't pulled the battery, nobody yet has pulled the battery, no issues. Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »
I personally don't muck around with electronics on a vehicle/bike without disconnecting the battery.  Considering the cost of an ECU, it's cheap insurance.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2015, 05:19:08 pm »
I was at the dealership today to price out a Kawasaki Touring seat. While I was there I asked the sevice manager about their position if a customer "hypothetically" had an ecu flash done to his/her bike as far as warranty. He gave me a wink and said that they don't check for that, and that if he figured it could become a warranty sticky point with Kawasaki; a stock flash could be put back in. I am just waiting for Steve's dyno results with the Area P slip on and I think I will pull the trigger. (In January after all the Christmas parcels have cleared the system.) :chugbeer:
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline bob h

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »
In designing the ECU, it should have been very easy to protect the internal circuitry from trannsients on the leads. ;D

I'm guessing they did.  :thumbs:

(But just remember, this is the same organization that brought us the C10 junction box!) :loco: :rotflmao:

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:05 am »
I personally don't muck around with electronics on a vehicle/bike without disconnecting the battery.  Considering the cost of an ECU, it's cheap insurance.

That's like completely removing your pants to take a leak  :rotflmao:...probably the "safest" way to do it but we don't :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:57 am »
That's like completely removing your pants to take a leak  :rotflmao:...probably the "safest" way to do it but we don't :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

If the pants cost $700 and would be completely unusable with just a drop of urine on them and I only had to take a leak once in 5 years, yes I'd completely remove the pants before taking a leak.  ;)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:07 am »
If the pants cost $700 and would be completely unusable with just a drop of urine on them and I only had to take a leak once in 5 years, yes I'd completely remove the pants before taking a leak.  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 12:20:56 pm »
If the pants cost $700.......

Perhaps this could be discussed more.....(The lost ECU potential costs, not the wet pants.)

How much are you folks insuring your ECU for when you send it off?  Are you using those special anti-static discharge bags or just packing peanuts?

So lets pretend that the ECU is lost in shipment on the way to Steve. To recover, you'd need to get a matched pair of ECU and KIPASS boxes...right? ....or just an ECU?  Then the dealer would have to get all the additional on hand passive FOBs programmed and the TPMS sensors would need to be accessed (tires opened up to get the numbers for registration if you haven't got them on record) If we are talking new discounted prices and reasonable dealer service charges it's at least $900.00 right? (Ron Ayers wants $888.35 just for the ECU) Then if it was lost on the return from Steve it would be around a $1200 loss.

Are my number$ right?

I think I insured mine for $900.00 when I sent it to Guhl, but I have no idea how much insurance they purchased for the return trip.

Chances are extremely slim for a loss with all the bar coding and scanners, but accidents happen.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:34 pm »
Perhaps this could be discussed more.....(The lost ECU potential costs, not the wet pants.)

How much are you folks insuring your ECU for when you send it off?  Are you using those special anti-static discharge bags or just packing peanuts?

So lets pretend that the ECU is lost in shipment on the way to Steve. To recover, you'd need to get a matched pair of ECU and KIPASS boxes...right? ....or just an ECU?  Then the dealer would have to get all the additional on hand passive FOBs programmed and the TPMS sensors would need to be accessed (tires opened up to get the numbers for registration if you haven't got them on record) If we are talking new discounted prices and reasonable dealer service charges it's at least $900.00 right? (Ron Ayers wants $888.35 just for the ECU) Then if it was lost on the return from Steve it would be around a $1200 loss.

Are my number$ right?

I think I insured mine for $900.00 when I sent it to Guhl, but I have no idea how much insurance they purchased for the return trip.

Chances are extremely slim for a loss with all the bar coding and scanners, but accidents happen.

I want to say I insured mine for $1200.
Mike
Ojai, CA