Author Topic: I will miss the 5 spd....  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
Re: I will miss the 5 spd....
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
Having just bought a 2004 ST1300 and coming from two C10s, I see no real need for a six speed in the ST. With the C10 I was always thinking there should be a "seventh" gear by the sound/feel of things (yes, well aware of SISF mod). Gear ratios were/are too close together and more suited for a rocket type sport bike, from which it evolved from.
The ST is geared very well with "just" five speeds for its (or at least for my) use. Being used to the feel/sound of the C10 at cruising speeds, with the ST I found myself often in forth gear instead of fifth on the drive home and going faster than what I'm known for. First gear is actually useabe and you don't have to shift immediately. Never thought just five gears would be enough or that hard to keep track of.
Only a 100 miles on it so far by me, so maybe/probably change my viewpoint eventually, but pretty happy for now.

I don't think the ST needs a six speed either, I was commenting on the need for updating (throttle-by-wire, integrated electronic cruise control, ES, TC, etc.).

Dan

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »
I don't think the ST needs a six speed either, I was commenting on the need for updating (throttle-by-wire, integrated electronic cruise control, ES, TC, etc.).

Dan

Ahh, sure, my mistake. Carry on....
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 09:29:21 am »
Come on, I can't believe no one has rode the new 6 speed FJR yet.  This bike is on my radar screen for sure, but I would love to hear first hand comments on how it compares to the older version.  Anyone???

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »
We're Kawi knuts around here, Homeboy. 8)
2010 Connie. No ABS, no TC, no linked brakes. A real bike.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp236/Jimmymac25/twokillboy003.jpg

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »
Come on, I can't believe no one has rode the new 6 speed FJR yet.  This bike is on my radar screen for sure, but I would love to hear first hand comments on how it compares to the older version.  Anyone???

Absolutely no need to, my 2014 5 speed does everything that I want it to do (and more).

Dan

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

Why?  The bike is fugly.  I don't care how many speeds it has.  It's still an ugly bike.
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 05:51:47 am »
...and in the morning I'll be sober and it'll still be ugly.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.