Author Topic: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue  (Read 52440 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2017, 05:17:24 AM »
Your brakes are one of the most important components on the bike, so if one doesn't feel comfortable doing that sort of thing there's nothing wrong with that.  You and I have done this since we were teenagers (I'm now in my 20s) and it's second nature.  Getting a professional or at least someone who's familiar with the bike and its components to work on the brakes may be a wise idea.  We've seen plenty of 'incidents' here where members worked on something and got into severe  :censored: .   Even I, who could probably do this in my sleep have been known to do stupid things with my brakes....not removing fluid from the master cylinder when installing new brakes, putting a pad in the wrong way, bending a rotor, I could go on and on.  If Max isn't comfortable doing it then get a professional or someone that's done this before (many times), to help.

But this maintenance needs to be done by someone, if you've had the bike more than two years!

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2017, 05:44:54 AM »
I'm just giving Max a rash of crap, all in good fun. He knows this.

In your 20's eh Jim? Are you counting backwards again?

! No longer available
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2017, 05:56:01 AM »
Yes, I started doing that 20 years ago.. :rotflmao:   There's a reason I wear a helmet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
I wasn't aware of the importance of flushing brakes/clutch until the discussions here started about such things last year.  It is currently on the top of my list of important things to do.  But you are right that I am not comfortable doing it myself because it has the potential to be extremely dangerous.  If it was something I had done before, then I probably would.  I have just been waiting for my mechanic friend to finish moving and decent weather to return.  I don't want the dealer touching my bike if it can be avoided.... although since I have to get new tires mounted soon, and that is something I pretty much have to get the dealer to do, I might go ahead and throw in the flushing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
I wasn't aware of the importance of flushing brakes/clutch until the discussions here started about such things last year.  It is currently on the top of my list of important things to do.  But you are right that I am not comfortable doing it myself because it has the potential to be extremely dangerous.  If it was something I had done before, then I probably would.  I have just been waiting for my mechanic friend to finish moving and decent weather to return.  I don't want the dealer touching my bike if it can be avoided.... although since I have to get new tires mounted soon, and that is something I pretty much have to get the dealer to do, I might go ahead and throw in the flushing.

It's really hard to screw up a brake flush/fill. For the most part the only thing that you have to watch out for is spilling brake fluid on your paint. Other than that, it's air in the lines. If that happens the air can be purged.

If you never dive in and do it you'll never learn how.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
Oh, I forgot one....spilled brake fluid on bike.  Been there, done that, looking for the t-shirt.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2017, 08:12:21 AM »
So I am guessing you just keep adding fluid and pumping fluid out through one bleeder ( with hose in fluid so no air backs up into system) and when that is clear you move to the other bleeder which should not take much more.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »
Oh, I forgot one....spilled brake fluid on bike.  Been there, done that, looking for the t-shirt.
used the t shirt to wipe up the brake fluid

Offline Conrad

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
So I am guessing you just keep adding fluid and pumping fluid out through one bleeder ( with hose in fluid so no air backs up into system) and when that is clear you move to the other bleeder which should not take much more.
Wayne

Suck as much of the old fluid out as you can without allowing air to reach the port. Try to get any crap out of the bottom of the reservoir while you're at it but be sure not to let air near the port. Now fill with fresh fluid and flush with your preferred method. Try to keep the reservoir covered while you're flushing if you can and be sure to add fluid as needed.

I like using this for flushing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0143-Hydraulic-Bleeder/dp/B000MXW2EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489760795&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+pro+brake+bleeder

doing the clutch

[smg id=658]

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
It's really hard to screw up a brake flush/fill. For the most part the only thing that you have to watch out for is spilling brake fluid on your paint. Other than that, it's air in the lines. If that happens the air can be purged.

I would never spill the fluid on my paint, since I would absolutely cover all possible areas with plastic and towels.  But other threads talk about how much of a nightmare air in the lines is, how bad accidentally getting contaminates in the fluid is, and somehow water getting into the fluid.  I suppose it isn't that scary, except I wanted to take the calipers apart at that time to clean and inspect.  I am still on the first/original brake pads and also have a slight pulsating, which might be stuck bobbins, or contamination on the rotors.  In my mind I lumped it all into the dangerous category of "brakes" that needs to be done.  Maybe I should ignore the calipers?  Not worry about water (choose a non-rain/humid day, keep it quick as possible)?  Think of the rotor maintenance as separate?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
Suck as much of the old fluid out as you can

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: can't stop   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
Suck as much of the old fluid out as you can without allowing air to reach the port. Try to get any crap out of the bottom of the reservoir while you're at it but be sure not to let air near the port. Now fill with fresh fluid and flush with your preferred method. Try to keep the reservoir covered while you're flushing if you can and be sure to add fluid as needed.

I like using this for flushing.: Motion-Pro-Hydraulic-Bleeder

I bought a Motion Pro (and two 12oz bottles of DOT4) specifically for doing this job.  Here is the shocker- I didn't think it was that long ago; I checked my Amazon history, it was May 8, 2016!  It has been almost a year?????!!!???  WTF??

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks, I have and also like the motion pro tool. I have had a little trouble with air getting by the loosened bleeder though.

I like using this for flushing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0143-Hydraulic-Bleeder/dp/B000MXW2EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489760795&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+pro+brake+bleeder

doing the clutch

[smg id=658]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: can't stop   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

>:(    ;)  I guess that needed an easy boys or two eh?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »
used the t shirt to wipe up the brake fluid

Good idea, I have some old t-shirts.   However, typically use old towels to protect the paint now.

The point of this is....if there is a mistake to be made, I've probably done it, but usually no more than once.  If one has never done this before you can watch the 'Tube videos and that will help greatly, but nothing beats having a buddy with experience to help with the bleeding procedure. 

If one is 'handy' with mechanical stuff and has never done this before then the odds are good it will be successful.  However no 'handy' skills, I wouldn't recommend it at all.  I'm pretty good with this stuff and I screw up all the time (makes you feel good, doesn't it Max?).

You don't want your minor brake experience to turn into a Haroldo.... ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
>:(    ;)  I guess that needed an easy boys or two eh?

You're killing me, you know.... :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
Slowly I hope?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Motion Pro is ok- nice but  better spent on a Mity Vac-  Well worth the money and it makes this job far far easier than the motion pro. Harbor Freight sells a MityVac clone for less money if you prefer. If you happen to get air in the system the MityVac is what you need.
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV8000-Automotive-Test-Bleeding/dp/B00265M9SS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489763849&sr=1-1&keywords=mityvac

Brake fluid is very caustic (except for the silicon version which you should not be using) . Lots of plastic or towels to cover paint. When I am done wash or hose down the area. Water and car soap  removes brake fluid. Just dont get any on paint. It will remove paint. It wont or should not hurt powder coated  parts.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »
Traced a hard brake pedal to the ABS pump on My 08 today. Guess I'll tear it out and work on it a little tomorrow. Ugh.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2017, 03:59:45 AM »
No doubt you've read this thread from the start - a couple more for your info.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21794.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21700.0;topicseen

The best substitute for brains is .............what?