Author Topic: Paid $750 for service, now my C14 is the freakin Exxon Valdez  (Read 12067 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Paid $750 for service, now my C14 is the freakin Exxon Valdez
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
2012, 36k, got the valves checked, plugs and coolant replaced.  The valves were not adjusted as they were fine.   Now my bike is blowing oil out the side, not to the point where the oil is low but it's not something I am comfortable with.

I have done some searching on here and lord there are a lot of threads on valve cover leaks and cam sensor leaks but out of all of them, I can't tell where MY leak might be coming from.

My goal in posting is to try and use the collective wisdom here to see if, given the info in the picture, can it be determined if it's the valve cover or the cam sensor, or something else.

I'm also trying to figure out if I should take this back to the dealer.   It's an hour drive to take it, then go get it later.   I have to yank the tank anyway to replace the internal filter in the fuel pump.  Normally, it's bad work and I would just take it back.  I actually really like the mechanic, I know him personally, I raced hare scrambles with him for several years, he's good, in my opinion.  BUT i have smelled oil since right after I got it back.  It was 62 around here yesterday and I took it out and flogged with the a buddy, he just bought a Mulitstrada and we drag raced multiple times.

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Landon

Re: Paid $750 for service, now my C14 is the freakin Exxon Valdez
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »
Are you positive its oil and not coolant?

I would take it back and make them address it.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
It's hard to tell for sure from that pic but are you SURE your front fork seals aren't blown? I say that because the oil appears to from in front of the Tupperware.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »
That's a lot of freakin oil!  What did he do, pour it over the bike?  :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I actually didn't touch it or even look at it, I'm ashamed to say. I know what burning oil and coolant smell like and it smelled like oil and looked like oil also.

So let's assume it's oil, is that from the cam sensor location?

If you look at the exhaust stud bolt, it appears to be covered in oil.  I will chase it down more tonight.  I have bore scope like device that hooks to my cell phone and will take pictures.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline Landon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »
It's hard to tell for sure from that pic but are you SURE your front fork seals aren't blown? I say that because the oil appears to from in front of the Tupperware.

That's why I asked about coolant, it appears to far forward and low to be oil from the engine. I know when I had my valves adjusted recently the mechanic removed the radiator, so maybe a coolant hose is loose or leaking.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »
My valve cover gasket and cam seal were leaking pretty badly when I got my C14 and nothing was on the outside of the plastic bodywork. And being a lifelong Harley owner, I have a firm grasp on oil leaks.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »
I actually didn't touch it or even look at it, I'm ashamed to say. I know what burning oil and coolant smell like and it smelled like oil and looked like oil also.

So let's assume it's oil, is that from the cam sensor location?

If you look at the exhaust stud bolt, it appears to be covered in oil.  I will chase it down more tonight.  I have bore scope like device that hooks to my cell phone and will take pictures.

cam sensor o ring is on the opposite side of the engine, and drips on pipe #2
that looks like valve cover gasket not sealing, oil on that exhaust header clamp is pretty visible and wet.
thats a lot of oil.

$750 for that service ain't acceptable... take it back right now. make sure they don't charge you for the gasket either, and they completly clean and degrease everything.... what a pain.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline leisyman

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
could it be something as simple as the  oil filter not sealing?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
could it be something as simple as the  oil filter not sealing?

opposite side and low also... do you guys have any idea of these locations before posting this stuff??
just asking.. ::)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
The dealership is open tomorrow, I will call them up to give them the great news. 

I wonder if perhaps the collective wisdom on this here is greater than what my friend the mechanic possesses? There are SO many exhaust leak threads, would someone please do me a large favor and summarize the method for properly sealing this?

I wonder if I should have him do the cam sensor while he is in there? Would that be wise?  From what I understand, it's not if it leaks but WHEN.

I do appreciate all the help!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 01:13:11 PM »
As bad as that looks, it could be that they forgot to tighten a bolt somewhere on the valve cover or even left it off.  The only way to tell is to take the plastic off on that side and have a thorough look.  I'd be scared to ride the bike if it was leaking that bad. 

You know, coolant and oil smell differently.  I'm pretty sure PiP knows the difference.

Exhaust leak? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
The dealership is open tomorrow, I will call them up to give them the great news. 

I wonder if perhaps the collective wisdom on this here is greater than what my friend the mechanic possesses? There are SO many exhaust leak threads, would someone please do me a large favor and summarize the method for properly sealing this?

I wonder if I should have him do the cam sensor while he is in there? Would that be wise?  From what I understand, it's not if it leaks but WHEN.

I do appreciate all the help!!

the cam sensor o ring is on the farside of the engine from your photo, I have sent out hundreds of these O rings. If it is a Kaw certified repair facility, it is unlikely they will install the o-rings I sell now. They must use OEM stock, for certified service, unfortunately those rings are undersized, and will leak just like the one that came from the factory... no joy on your part when paying them.. Contact me and I can send you 2 rings for $1.

as for how the repair to seal the major leak you are seeing, It may be a combination of a few things, maybe they neglected to add the correct sealant to the sections as noted when reassembling the cover, maybe it was not tightened down correctly, maybe the existing rubber gasket was never cleaned, or mating surfaces cleaned, or the gasket itself was damaged or compromised, or the seal rings on the bolts holding the cover were compromised and or damaged/compressed beyond their ability to reseal. Or, all of the above. Bare minimum would have been to remove the existing cover gasket, completely seal the head mating surface to remove all oil from seal surface, remove the gasket seal from the cover, and clean it completely with a solvent, and also the groove in the cover where it gets re-installed using a minimal amount of flexible proper sealant to adhere and help seal this gasket to the cover at installation. Many of us here versed in these services have re installed the same gasket that came on the bike from factory, one or more times, with no issues when proper service procedures were followed as outlined.

so, yes, there are a few of us here that do have higher skill levels than your tech has exhibited.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
oh, in addition... you not 36k on the bike, where the valve adjusted or inspected prior to this?
I say this because if not, and you were told no adjustment was needed, welll. Im calling your tech a hack.

I simply cannot believe you were "fine" with respect to service limits.

NOW, when you return this bike for service, demand a shim clearance map based on an inspection when he removes the valve cover for gasket repair, don't ask for a map, demand it.
You need a map showing exactly what every clearance on each valve is currently. without it, everytime you have valves inspected, they will have to repeat this procedure, and remove the cams, and record every shim, to ascertain the correct shims for future services on any gap out of spec.

we see this all the time, simply because they dont want to take the time to really inspect the clearances... how long did they have the bike? How many hours billed for that service?

heres a link to a fellow COG members him map... Download it...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34643.0;attach=5952

note; it an excell spreadsheet, you can replace values to make it work, or simply make everything blanks, and calculate manually and fill in the measurements and data for simple recording.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »
Exhaust leak?

Yeah, as in valve cover leak? You don't own the PiP English to idiocy dictionary?

Offline Landon

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
oh, in addition... you not 36k on the bike, where the valve adjusted or inspected prior to this?
I say this because if not, and you were told no adjustment was needed, welll. Im calling your tech a hack.

I agree. I just had mine done at 23K and all of my intakes were tight and 3 exhaust were tight and needed adjusted. Hard to believe nothing needed adjusted.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

NOW, when you return this bike for service, demand a shim clearance map based on an inspection when he removes the valve cover for gasket repair, don't ask for a map, demand it.
You need a map showing exactly what every clearance on each valve is currently. without it, everytime you have valves inspected, they will have to repeat this procedure, and remove the cams, and record every shim, to ascertain the correct shims for future services on any gap out of spec.

we see this all the time, simply because they dont want to take the time to really inspect the clearances... how long did they have the bike? How many hours billed for that service?

heres a link to a fellow COG members him map... Download it...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34643.0;attach=5952

note; it an excell spreadsheet, you can replace values to make it work, or simply make everything blanks, and calculate manually and fill in the measurements and data for simple recording.

I asked for that map and was told it was already done and buttoned back up.  So yeah, that sucked. 

I can ask them to eat the oil leak and I suspect they will have to remove the gasket to do it but checking all the valves and making a map, well, that I may have to pay for.  So now I'm in a tough spot in that I have to potentially call a guy I consider a friend (or a buddy, anyway) a liar.  I am not arguing with what you are saying. 

FYI, about $750 and all I got were new plugs, coolant and a valve check.  So I wasn't super happy to pay that much and get that little.  I would think that some of the valves would need adjusted as I have owned it since day 1 and I redline it all the time.  Understand, I am not arguing with what you are saying, I came here to get advice, knowing full well some might not be pleasant.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
I asked for that map and was told it was already done and buttoned back up.  So yeah, that sucked. 

I can ask them to eat the oil leak and I suspect they will have to remove the gasket to do it but checking all the valves and making a map, well, that I may have to pay for.  So now I'm in a tough spot in that I have to potentially call a guy I consider a friend (or a buddy, anyway) a liar.  I am not arguing with what you are saying. 

FYI, about $750 and all I got were new plugs, coolant and a valve check.  So I wasn't super happy to pay that much and get that little.  I would think that some of the valves would need adjusted as I have owned it since day 1 and I redline it all the time.  Understand, I am not arguing with what you are saying, I came here to get advice, knowing full well some might not be pleasant.

bummer, but you forgot one other thing you got for that money... a severe oil leak, that if unchecked could have lit your bike up and burned it to the ground, maybe even in your garage, and ....welll you get the picture...?

you are in a tight place, and I feel for ya, but then again, have to ask...
Is this guy realllly a friend or just some fellow you associate with?
Does he OWN the facility you went to? Is it a Certified Kaw Service facility?

I have lots of "pals", that do favours, but getting b/plugged for $750, on that service, ain't a friend.

I've spoken with about 20+ different CERTIFIED Kaw service facilities, about process of valve inspection, roughly 50% actually told me that during the INSPECTION they are required to record the clearances they find, to document the decisions on adjustment to Kaw.
The rest said "Oh, we shove the feeler in there, if it fits its good, why should we record WHAT didn't fit,"?

yeah, they were actually violating Kaw policy on service by that. But then again, by the time your bike sucks a burnt valve thru, and you try to collect it's repair on your extended service contract, that dealer will have shut down, and the building demolished.
I know its tough to face someone off that you seem to trust, but by your tone, you really don't trust them, and your conscious should guide you... face them off, tell them why... if they are your friend, they will understand, if they give you lip, and lollygag about it, while looking at the floor, make them stand up and do the job...

I just keeps pizzing me off seeing this service thing year after year. Too bad you don't live near me, I have your bike on my lift, stripped down, and clearances written in blood to prove they hosed you all for free.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »
It's a dealership for all 4 major brands.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »
It's a dealership for all 4 major brands.

if so, they have to run the standards of the associated manufacturers directives on related services, which in this case warrant them to record the actual clearances found during inspection, and forward same to Kaw as proof of service, and to backup future warranty claims service was completed within the outlined liabilities of Kawasaki.. I don't care what the tech says, that's the procedure.

hope this helps.

Semper Fi