Author Topic: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine  (Read 15327 times)

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
2010 C14, 31,000 miles, completely stock ( except for Rostra CC)and under GTPP until 2019. Bike was and is running fine but when I started it up the other day (after backing out of garage), these errors popped. I rode it a few hundred miles and dropped it at the local Kaw dealer.

They called back and said the Rostra CC was causing ECU errors and they did not like the way it was wired. Said the Rostra may have ruined the ECU and these codes were "bad wiring" codes.

PO did the Rostra and it has worked great for the last 5000 miles I have owned it.

What do you think?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »
I would disconnect the Rostra, clear the ecu codes and see what happens. Not sure I like the dealers response. How are your battery connections? A lot of ghosts caused by a weak battery/corroded connections.

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »
I would disconnect the Rostra, clear the ecu codes and see what happens. Not sure I like the dealers response. How are your battery connections? A lot of ghosts caused by a weak battery/corroded connections.

I had the battery out recently, all connections looked good and I was sure to tighten the connections sufficiently.

The dealer wants to "fix" the Rostra wiring and will call back with quote.

Does the Rostra connect to the ECU?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:45:40 PM »
Don't know about the rostra. Someone here should be able to answer that. You might reach out to Brian (BDF) for a definitive answer. This bike is finicky about connections. Not just tight but abrasively cleaned especially the battery to frame ground. How many Rostras has the dealer installed on connies?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »
I had the battery out recently, all connections looked good and I was sure to tighten the connections sufficiently.

Including the frame connections?

Hmm.....  that should be interesting.  Will they tell you exactly how they are "fixing" it in the quote?

Yes, I am sure it is connected to things that also go to the computer.  It seems unlikely a Rostra install would "damage" the ECU, but it is not beyond possibility.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:52:21 PM »
Yes on the frame connection. At this point I probably don't owe anything but if I ask them to disconnect the Rostra and see if that clears the ECU codes and it does, I will owe them $170 diagnostic fee plus an hour or three of shop labor. (So they tell me).

I want to see the exact explanation of these codes.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
Are the codes listed in the fsm?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
The only place a Rosta can cause K-ACT and KTRC errors  is where  the  wheel encoder signal connects to the Rostra. Maybe there is an issue there.
So you say it started after you backed out of the garage but the bike was not running at that point.
Next thing you did was start the bike up and that is when you got these errors? Without  riding yet? Or did you start moving after starting the bike up and then you got these errors?
One more question. Does the Rostra work ok?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »

Only in the sense that it taps into the speed sensor line. I don't see any way for the Rostra to ruin the ECU.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
This is typical dealer "bravo sierra".  They point the finger at anything other than the real problem.  Is it possible your Rostra is causing this problem?  Yes.  It is LIKELY?  No!  Unless you made a gross error in installation this seems ridiculous.  Could the Rostra trash your ECU?  Again, this is possible the extraordinarily unlikely.  If so, why would the bike run at all?

This dealer sounds like a crook to me.  I'd take the bike elsewhere before they mess up your bike but good.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
Only in the sense that it taps into the speed sensor line. I don't see any way for the Rostra to ruin the ECU.
Agreed, however this assumes that the P.O. installed it correctly. Still, it's hard to determine how it could have been hooked up wrong and still work. 

1A is a communication problem between the Meter and the ABS Hydraulic unit.
1B is a communication error of the ABS Hydraulic unit (it doesn't say exactly to where but I'm assuming with the ECU)
I'm fairly certain that the communication between the three (ECU, ABS Hydraulic unit, Meter) is all CAN bus stuff which is way over my head.
I couldn't find any "28" code.

I agree with jwh20, "bravo sierra". I think a mouse chewing on the wiring might have more validity than the Rostra as the culprit.

I know if you put the front wheel back on with the ABS sensor perf plate on the wrong side that you'll get a code, but I think it's only one code not three. You would have told us if you just had the front wheel off, right?

I want to see the exact explanation of these codes.

Quote from:  2010 C14 Service Manual pages 17-12 & 17-13
1A       KTRC                      Meter unit and K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit communication error (K-ACT ABS Equipped Models)

1B      KTRC/K-ACT ABS      K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit communication error (K-ACT ABS Equipped Models)

Couldn't find a 28..here is 27:
Quote from:  2010 C14 Service Manual pages 17-15
27          Front and/or Rear Wheel Rotation Sensor Signal (K-ACT ABS Equipped Models)        Front and/or rear wheel rotation sensor must sends 48 signals (front) and 45
signals (rear) to the ECU at the 1 rotation of the wheels. If the front and/or rear wheel rotation sensor system fails (the signal is missing, wiring open), the ECU stops the KTRC control.

For 1A
17-84 SELF-DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM
Meter Unit and K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit Communication Error (Service Code
1A, K-ACT ABS Equipped Models)
Meter Unit and K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit
Communication Line Inspection
○When the data (for KTRC control) is not sent from the
meter unit and K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit to the ECU, the
service code 1A is displayed.
○The data is sent through the CAN communication line.
○The service code 1A is detected with the ECU.
○When the service code 1A was detected, the warning indicator
light (LED)  and KTRC indicator light (LED)
go on, and KTRC warning message is displayed on the
LCD.
•Inspect the CAN communication line (see CAN Communication
Line Resistance Inspection in the Fuel System
(DFI) chapter).
If the CAN communication line is normal, check the following
parts.
Meter Unit (see Meter Unit Inspection in the Electrical
System chapter)
K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit (see K-ACT ABS Hydraulic
Unit Inspection in the Brakes chapter)
If the above parts are normal, check the ECU for its
ground and power supply (see ECU Power Supply Inspection
in the Fuel System (DFI) chapter).
If the ground and power supply are good, replace the ECU
(see ECU Removal/Installation in the Fuel System (DFI)

For 1B
K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit Communication Error (Service Code 1B, K-ACT ABS
Equipped Models)
K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit Communication Line
Inspection
○When the data (for status of K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit) is
not sent from the K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit to the meter
unit and ECU, the service code 1B is displayed.
○The data is sent through the CAN communication line
○The service code 1B is detected with the meter unit.
○When the service code 1B was detected, the warning indicator
light (LED) , KTRC indicator light (LED) and
K-ACT ABS indicator light (LED)  go on, and KTRC
warning message and K-ACT ABS warning message are
alternately displayed on the LCD.
•Inspect the CAN communication line (see CAN Communication
Line Resistance Inspection in the Fuel System
(DFI) chapter).
If the CAN communication line is normal, check the K
-ACT ABS hydraulic unit (see K-ACT ABS Hydraulic Unit
Inspection in the Brakes chapter).
If the K-ACT ABS hydraulic unit is normal, check the meter
unit(see Meter Unit Inspection in the Electrical System
chapter).
If the meter unit is normal, but the problem still exists, replace
the meter unit (see Meter Unit Removal/Installation
in the Electrical System chapter).

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
Yes, the Rostra worked after the errors which came on the moment I turned the switch on and before starting.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »
Based on the error codes, it preliminarily looks like one or more loose connectors or something.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
Dealer verdict: ABS pump failure, $1300. Will be covered by the GTPP (that I just extended!).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
That's out of left field. What was the diagnostic procedure that came to that conclusion? Is this the same dealer that said the Rostra fried the ecu?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
Dealer verdict: ABS pump failure, $1300. Will be covered by the GTPP (that I just extended!).

WOW.  Well, it is rare, but we have seen a few of those happen.  Aren't you glad you renewed your GTPP?!!

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »
Dunno what led them to that...is same team that started to blame the Rostra.

And yes, that GTPP was money well spent.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
Interesting. Please keep us informed.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:23 AM »
Even though I joined  jwh20 in calling bravo sierra, I'm now going to give the service folks a break. You have to imagine that they get to see a lot of hack job installs and botched up wiring, especially on the smaller bikes (younger owners with less money and less experience who know a lot more about phone apps than electrons) which is probably the most of what they service. The service folks most likely wouldn't suspect the ABS unit failing as their first thought, and seeing a cruise control installed when half of their customers have trouble adding simple extra lights and power ports, they probably jumped to the initial diagnosis a bit early. Yes, they perhaps should have kept their initial thoughts to themselves until they did a complete diagnosis but it seems they may have recovered well, so I'll give 'em some respect for now pending the final outcome. The GTPP is a great deal and these bikes are not all as bulletproof as some say and others wish.

Good Luck with this Dolomoto! Keep us informed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »
 :goodpost:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.