Author Topic: MRA X-Creen Touring OR MRA VarioTouring  (Read 7635 times)

Offline kzz1king

MRA X-Creen Touring OR MRA VarioTouring
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Ok, I have been reading a lot about one of these windshields unfortunately I did notknow  there were 2 different styles. :o  I think the one that a lot of us are using and like is the Vario Touring ($209) which is 19 inches compared to the X-creen ($260)which is 24 inches tall. Has anyone seen or used both? I am almost happy with my stock shield (2010) if it were 3 inches taller and didn't exhibit so much back pressure under certain conditions. Links to both
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-tour-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08-14

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

Re: MRA X-Creen Touring OR MRA VarioTouring
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline smokin

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
I have the MRA X-creen Touring Windshield for 2014 Kawasaki GTR1400 .I am 187cm tall, I find there is no back pressure with this screen, I wear a Shoei neotech helmet and I do like some air going over my head and the slots in the lower section of the MRA screen allow some air flow , balance of pressure in front and behind the screen for cooling purposes which this screen does perfectly.
I have tried a Projekt D screen with adjustable panel of the MRA X screen but there was no air flow and a vacuum behind the screen when it was right up, hence it go very hot with no air flow.
So I only use the MRA X SCREEN NOW.
Well made, fit is perfect, highly recommend this product.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:48 AM »
I have the MRA X-creen Touring Windshield for 2014 Kawasaki GTR1400 .I am 187cm tall, I find there is no back pressure with this screen, I wear a Shoei neotech helmet and I do like some air going over my head and the slots in the lower section of the MRA screen allow some air flow , balance of pressure in front and behind the screen for cooling purposes which this screen does perfectly.
I have tried a Projekt D screen with adjustable panel of the MRA X screen but there was no air flow and a vacuum behind the screen when it was right up, hence it go very hot with no air flow.
So I only use the MRA X SCREEN NOW.
Well made, fit is perfect, highly recommend this product.

I don't know about the shorter one, but I'm enjoying this one. ^^

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
Can you tell me how tall the windscreen itself is?I know it says 24" but how does it relate to stock screen height? Being I use the stock shield all the way up most of the time I am thinking the taller one is the way to go. Thanks for the info.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline smokin

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:26:53 AM »
The stock screen on my 2014 GTR1400 was approx. 23.5 inches from the v section at the bottom to the the.The MRA X-Creen Touring screen is 24 inches . But there is no buffeting from the MRA X SCREEN, very little flex when fully raised unlike the original screen especially when going past trucks going in the opposite direction or cross winds/headwinds.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Thanks, that pics clears up a lot for me. I wonder if the actual shield itself is the same on both models. It appears to be. Just different spoilers I think. How high do you have it raised at highway cruising?
Wayne

The stock screen on my 2014 GTR1400 was approx. 23.5 inches from the v section at the bottom to the the.The MRA X-Creen Touring screen is 24 inches . But there is no buffeting from the MRA X SCREEN, very little flex when fully raised unlike the original screen especially when going past trucks going in the opposite direction or cross winds/headwinds.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline smokin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
Yes I believe the actual shield is the same, as you said the spoiler is different. As for how high I raise the screen, its either all the way up, half way or down depending on the conditions in terms of ambient temperature, weather/rain. I like some air flowing to cool as in QLD, AUSTRALIA in summer its usually 30c to 40 c temperatures and in the winter months usually 20c to 27c .
With the screen right up the air flow basically hits the to of my helmet, if I duck down a few inches there is no noise or air flow to the helmet, I am 6ft 2 inches tall, so if you are shorter than that I would suggest that with the screen right up you will have very little noise or air flow to the top of your helmet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:00:56 PM by smokin »

Offline dude412

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 05:57:30 AM »
Yes I believe the actual shield is the same, as you said the spoiler is different. As for how high I raise the screen, its either all the way up, half way or down depending on the conditions in terms of ambient temperature, weather/rain. I like some air flowing to cool as in QLD, AUSTRALIA in summer its usually 30c to 40 c temperatures and in the winter months usually 20c to 27c .
With the screen right up the air flow basically hits the to of my helmet, if I duck down a few inches there is no noise or air flow to the helmet, I am 6ft 2 inches tall, so if you are shorter than that I would suggest that with the screen right up you will have very little noise or air flow to the top of your helmet.
I have been interested in this windscreen for a while. I see you mentioned rain. I have heard negative comments about this shield in the rain. Could I please hear your version.

Offline smokin

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
I have ridden in rain on several occasions, not torrential rain. Whilst moving  there is good protection, very little water enters the slots at the lower section of the shield. Basically the same protection as the standard screen I had fitted with a laminar lip. I would say no better or no worse than the standard screen.

Offline dude412

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
I have ridden in rain on several occasions, not torrential rain. Whilst moving  there is good protection, very little water enters the slots at the lower section of the shield. Basically the same protection as the standard screen I had fitted with a laminar lip. I would say no better or no worse than the standard screen.
I thank you Mr. Smoke

Offline smokin

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »
Now running a project D GTR1400 / Concours 14 '08-'14 Windshield - Flip-Up Touring with the MRA spoiler fitted. As I am 6ft 2in the screen is perfect for protection against rain and completely shields when in the right up position when travelling with no buffeting. The price is right, went for the tinted version to match the MRA spoiler. Offers better protection than the MRA screen and the OEM screen.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
Per your review and others I bought the MRA x Creen and am very happy with it. Seldom have itall the way up and am surprised how often I ride with the shield all the way lowered or close to it. $$ well spent.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline smokin

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 08:06:37 AM »
I change back to the MRA screen set up in the summer months. Have a long ride coming up down to a colder climate hence the change of screen.

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Commuting in Florida the MRA stays on the bike all year...not sure about the colder climates
Safety is no accident