Author Topic: I rode in 114 degree heat  (Read 9236 times)

Offline katata1100

I rode in 114 degree heat
« on: July 30, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
Drove 8 hours to Vegas. It was 100 by lunch, was around around 109 for  last four hours of trip. I was getting woozy, had ice chest in trunk with cold water and would stop every hour. I wanted to go to the Pinball Hall of Fame, but doing that would mean spending 30 min in stop and go traffic in rush time on freeway- no way!
Left the next morning for Phoenix. Was pretty good until I got near phoenix. My iPhone overheated and wouldn't work so I had to rely on directions written on my arm.
My temp display wavered between 111 and 114. I picked up wife at airport, went to motel. Too $*$*$ hot!
Next we went to zoo, temp hit 106- yeah, it's cooled down!
Went to see Dodgers play D backs following day.
The next day, was on way to airport when tire pressure light came on near my motel. There was one shop open that Monday and they had my tire (in a non GT version though), 40 miles away. Geico towed but the driver refused to tow on flat bed unless I removed fairing plastic. Ugh!
That night, went to a restaurant and was stranded there , they had no power too.
A microburst struck. This is a shot of it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/07/19/watch-this-incredible-microburst-come-crashing-down-over-phoenix/
No way I was going to ride in high winds, heavy rain and flooded road!
Next day, went to Truth or Consequences for the hot springs.
Made it back last sat.
I drove about 2800 miles on this trip and most of it was with temp gauge pegged two bars from overheat level, doing 80-90.
Despite that and a total of 5000 miles on this oil,, the level of oil in the bike is the same as it was when I filled it.
I now have a PR4 GT front and PR4 regular back tire and can say that the regular tire has a smoother ride.
I set up my bike for a softer ride and before anyone says I'm a wimp, try riding in triple digits for hours like I did!
I noticed that when it was above 110, my right leg got real hot from the exhaust (I have a '11 C14). Also, the handle bar levers would get real hot too.
On the way back passing through Flagstaff, the temp dropped from 103 to 49 when I drove through horrible rain storm and saws hail on the ground.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: I rode in 114 degree heat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
Every ride is an adventure.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
Drove 8 hours to Vegas. It was 100 by lunch, was around around 109 for  last four hours of trip. I was getting woozy, had ice chest in trunk with cold water and would stop every hour. I wanted to go to the Pinball Hall of Fame, but doing that would mean spending 30 min in stop and go traffic in rush time on freeway- no way!
Left the next morning for Phoenix. Was pretty good until I got near phoenix. My iPhone overheated and wouldn't work so I had to rely on directions written on my arm.
My temp display wavered between 111 and 114. I picked up wife at airport, went to motel. Too $*$*$ hot!
Next we went to zoo, temp hit 106- yeah, it's cooled down!
Went to see Dodgers play D backs following day.
The next day, was on way to airport when tire pressure light came on near my motel. There was one shop open that Monday and they had my tire (in a non GT version though), 40 miles away. Geico towed but the driver refused to tow on flat bed unless I removed fairing plastic. Ugh!
That night, went to a restaurant and was stranded there , they had no power too.
A microburst struck. This is a shot of it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/07/19/watch-this-incredible-microburst-come-crashing-down-over-phoenix/
No way I was going to ride in high winds, heavy rain and flooded road!
Next day, went to Truth or Consequences for the hot springs.
Made it back last sat.
I drove about 2800 miles on this trip and most of it was with temp gauge pegged two bars from overheat level, doing 80-90.
Despite that and a total of 5000 miles on this oil,, the level of oil in the bike is the same as it was when I filled it.
I now have a PR4 GT front and PR4 regular back tire and can say that the regular tire has a smoother ride.
I set up my bike for a softer ride and before anyone says I'm a wimp, try riding in triple digits for hours like I did!
I noticed that when it was above 110, my right leg got real hot from the exhaust (I have a '11 C14). Also, the handle bar levers would get real hot too.
On the way back passing through Flagstaff, the temp dropped from 103 to 49 when I drove through horrible rain storm and saws hail on the ground.

I have had both the PR4GT and non-GT now. IMHO the PR4 (nonGT) is my favorite all time tire with the 55 aspect rear.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:15:31 AM »

What caused the rear tire failure?  A nail?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
Holy **** that's an awesome picture! Looks like the end of the world. Thanks for posting.

Do you not travel with sticky rope tire plugs and a small compressor for emergencies?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:50:07 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Just got back from a weekend trip to Vegas myself. Was about 112 when I left on Thursday afternoon. Nice ride except for the microburst I had to ride through South and West of Kingman. Lightning so close to the road that there was virtually zero time between the flash and the thunder. Bodacious wind too.

The ride between Vegas and Phoenix is one of my favorites. Enough 2 lane areas to really get after it in the passing areas and also areas with nearly unlimited visibility so you can ride as fast you have the stones to ride.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
I had a tire repair kit but couldn't find it! I didn't find it until after taking the seat off to get my tool bag.
As it is, I don't think it would help. I put some seal and air in it to help get it back to my motel from the ghetto. The stuff leaked out of what looked like a inch wide cut. i think someone at the motel cut it, it was on the center stand, light flashed as soon as the the tps kicked in. It was right in the middle of the tread going across and with traveling to NM, wouldn't trust a plug in that large cut. From the time I left to the flat, don't recall running over anything that would cause it.
I had good time, those high temps really sap me though.
Vegas... I hate vegas! In traffic, temp can be 115. People are loaded, they have bike deaths on a daily basis (I live in N.NV).  Local shop manager was a wrench for suzuki in Vegas in the '90's and said the heat would kill the oil cooled zukes and those HD police bikes don't make it past 50k miles without needing new rings.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:20:23 AM »
So, what kind of gear are you wearing in that kind of heat?

I have a mesh jacket which all the experts say is the wrong thing to wear when it gets over 93-95 degrees so I'm keeping an eye out for something else. Not sure what to get though, pretty sure I want sleeve vents and back vents but other than that I need some advice about what to look for in a 95-105 degree jacket. Plenty of advice around, you know the kind "I've only owned one jacket in my life here in (insert somewhere up north here) but brand X is the best one!" OH really?!.....But I wouldn't mind hearing some advice from those that actually ride in the real heat in other than mesh jackets. Anybody?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
I've done a lot of hot riding here in TX but I don't think I've seen 114 while moving on the bike. For about a week my 18 mile ride home from work was in triple digits every day and the high was 106. It only really sucks when stopped at a light and zero air is coming through my mesh jacket and Shoei GT Air helmet. Like GP said, every ride is an adventure.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:21:47 AM by Rhino »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »
I ride in temps over 100 all the time. I wear a Heat Out shirt and a mash jacket with armor.

I think dealing with really high temps is more about acclimation and hydration than anything else. For me, the acclimation comes with the mortgage payments. It gets gradually warmer here until we reach what I refer to as "Stupid Hot". (Anything over 115°). Hydration is the REAL key.

If I am going to be riding more than about 100 miles, I start hydrating at least 24 hours ahead of my departure time. I will drink a bottle of Pedialite with as much water as I can possibly consume. I add a couple of ounces of Pedialite to a bottle of water to make it easier to down and drink a LOT. Did I mention consuming  a LOT of water? At speed, in high temps, you don't notice how much you are sweating because it evaporates so quickly. At least here in the desert you don't notice the sweat.

I also have a 2 liter water bladder in my tank bag that I keep filled with ice and water. I drink about a liter of water every 100 miles while riding. I stop for fuel about every 200 miles and drink at least a liter of water before I get back on the road after fueling. If you don't have to pee when you stop for fuel, you are DEHYDRATING! DRINK MORE WATER!

Seriously, it can be the difference between safe travels and a trip to the ER.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
must replenish electrolytes as well as water

Offline katata1100

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
I had a soft cooler full of ice and little water bottles, gatorade and 20 year old ginseng extract (for endurance). Yeah, my arms were dry but when I was in line at the hotel desk they were dripping.
FWIW, each time you see the overheat sign on your phone, your battery is permanently partially damaged. My battery on my iphone 5s was crap before the trip, but now only takes 20 minutes to go from 100% charged to 60%.
I initially thought that my nine hour trip from Kingman AZ to Carson City, NV would be crazy, what with Vegas expecting 114 degrees. I did, by leaving early, 7:00. Passed through Vegas at 8:30am when it was still a cool 95 degrees, made it home ok.
I traveled with shorts/t-shirt squid style in the heat, would it be better to travel as I usually do- cordura riding pants, cordura touring coat?Maybe toss in some thin bamboo fabric pants?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »
"20 year old ginseng extract"?

Couldn't find any fresh stuff?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:42:36 PM »
I  saw 120 for several days of   riding out west a few years ago  on my way to a COG national rally.  Do not wear mesh. That is the worst thing you can wear. You have to keep the hot air away and off your skin.
 Go buy an  LD long sleeve T- shirt - not the short sleeve (call them and ask for advice on how to ride in hot weather- see post below )
stop every 200 miles to re-soak the shirt. It will take 4 bottles of water to soak the shirt (yes it can hold that much water) and make sure you have a jacket with very little venting (not mesh) so you can keep that cool air (created from evaporation) next your body. The shirt will be dry by 200 miles. Stop and re- soak the shirt (4 more bottles).    Always wear a hydropack (3 liter preferably)   

http://ldcomfort.com/dryline-long-sleeve-turtleneck-top.html

Read:  http://ldcomfort.com/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

I have no affiliation other than using their advice.
Having good gear means using the same jacket/pants from 120 degrees to 20 degrees (just add or subtract layers underneath your good gear).
This same gear is also your  rain gear so your always ready  for that surprise rain burst- no stopping to put on rain gear and then stopping again to take it off.     

There is no such thing as bad weather-- just bad gear.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 06:05:16 AM »
^^^ What jacket are you using with the LD base layer?

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 06:44:34 AM »
114Deg F = 45Deg C...... sounds like an average Summers day around the Karoo Area of the RSA. I did a 553 mile trip in the same heat last December through the Karoo. Feeling your pain Bud....

It can get just as cold there as well in the winter. -10Deg C = 14Deg F. Fortunately we are far away enough from the poles, with an altitude low enough, not to have the snowfalls, etc. you guys have in the States. We do get some snow, but merely a few inches each year.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »

Go buy an  LD long sleeve T- shirt - not the short sleeve ...........and make sure you have a jacket with very little venting (not mesh) so you can keep that cool air (created from evaporation) next your body.
http://ldcomfort.com/dryline-long-sleeve-turtleneck-top.html

Read:  http://ldcomfort.com/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

I have no affiliation other than using their advice.
Having good gear means using the same jacket/pants from 120 degrees to 20 degrees (just add or subtract layers underneath your good gear).
This same gear is also your  rain gear so your always ready  for that surprise rain burst- no stopping to put on rain gear and then stopping again to take it off.     

There is no such thing as bad weather-- just bad gear.

OK.....

^^^ What jacket are you using with the LD base layer?

Yeah, so Mike, what is the good gear that you wear with your LD undergarment soaked with water and works from 20 -120 degrees?

I read the links you provided, and it seems the key element is to get some venting at the sleeve cuffs, first off I'd have to get rid of my mesh gauntlet gloves and replace them with short gloves but then what?..... just leave the cuffs open as much as possible and hope a bee doesn't go up in there? I've seen the scoop things that are relatively new (to me anyway), but the LD document/cooling process seems like it's been around awhile and doesn't seem dependent on those.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
I used to have quite a bit of different gear but tossed it all out when I bought  AD1 Motorcycle Pants by   AeroStich . I got them for $187 new  (COG gift cards help)  and they are worn on every ride/trip. If it is very hot I only wear light shorts or just LD gear riding shorts underneath and even though AD1 pants  are  completely waterproof they are much cooler to wear than mesh  or jeans because of the ability to control venting and the built in armor keeps the material away and  off your skin.
My jacket is a Darien  Areostich I bought off Fleabay used .  After many years and many long trips it is showing its age ( but still wearable for many more years)
so I just recently bought a KLIM BADLANDS PRO jacket off ebay for a  great price. (they dont make that model anymore)  http://tinyurl.com/jxodk7w

All of the above are 'shells' and are designed to go over clothing (or when it is hot- self wicking - Long distance riding gear like LD gear)

I used to have all kinds of gear- Mesh gear  and rain gear- one piece rain gear and two piece rain gear - I had two  Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets Version one and two ( you needed a lot of patience to learn how to zip and unzip  all those parts - very complicated stuff)  and several versions of pants- mesh- winter....
ALL of that crap  went in the garbage- a waste of money. 
Dont do what I did. Learn from my mistakes and  in the long run you will save money and get rid of all that aggravation and time spent packing and carrying all the crap i used to bring with me, . I swore never to never stop on the side of the road to change  into rain gear again. I hated that.
Just buy one pair of good pants and one good jacket and that is it!  It will last most if not all of your life!  All your rain gear and armor and winter / summer  jackets and pants  in just  two garments. That is the goal.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:37:40 PM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
I ride in vehicles with AC when it gets that hot, heck 90+ is enough for me not to ride, especially if it may involve stop and go.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:41:39 AM »
I ride in vehicles with AC when it gets that hot, heck 90+ is enough for me not to ride, especially if it may involve stop and go.

If I did that, I wouldn't be riding much here in Texas.