Author Topic: It's that time of the year.... What tire are you sporting??  (Read 14870 times)

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: It's that time of the year.... What tire are you sporting??
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2019, 07:19:37 am »
Martin, what do you use to cut up your tires? I have tried that before and it was a real chore and made a big mess with the side grinder I was using.

Sort of a follow up to my earlier post, or rather a continuation on the same theme but different tire.

Cross section of my front tire, an Avon Storm 3D XM after 10,594 miles. There is cupping and a strange asymmetrical wear pattern with more wear on the left side but since
 I have a warped rotor on the right side it could be caused from that during heavy front braking.
At slow speed in traffic just trying to stay vertical was a tiring tedious process with the strange wear pattern effecting slow speed steering. I probably went 1000 miles too far on this tire.*
At least this time as per max's suggestion I cut the tire at the wear bar. when you click to get the large photo size, you can see a definite line between rubber types. It's
my guess that when you hit the lighter colored carcass rubber that's around the cords (second photo) you'll be down into the cords pretty quickly.

*edit: I just noticed that I actually wore through to the lighter carcass rubber in one spot...eeek!

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2019, 11:09:15 am »
Martin, what do you use to cut up your tires? I have tried that before and it was a real chore and made a big mess with the side grinder I was using.

It is a chore. So far the best way I've found is to squeeze the tire in a vise and then cut it with a reciprocating saw (I use a Sawzall type, I haven't tried a sabre saw). Without the vise the tire grabs the blade and it becomes a shaking mess. After it is sliced off I use a belt sander to get a clean look at the cords and rubber on one end of the sliced off section. You can still see some of the vise marks on the tire in the top photo. I don't have one (yet) but I think a band saw would be the very best option, should be able to get nice straight cuts with that, might not even need sanding.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2019, 06:01:58 am »
It is a chore. So far the best way I've found is to squeeze the tire in a vise and then cut it with a reciprocating saw (I use a Sawzall type

Cut the big steel cords in the bead 1st with bolt cutters, then the rest cuts fairly easy with a sawzall.
Cliff

2008 C14, 200,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047