Author Topic: seat recomendation please  (Read 6933 times)

Offline demon

seat recomendation please
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:13 AM »
Hello guys/gals

I have a 2008 C14 with a Corbin seat...  The seat is too hard for my liking,  I have a vtx1800 that has a mustang seat and I love it.  Does anyone have a seat recommendation for me?  the Corbin seat is of very good quality and but the firmness of it has got to go.  Anyone have a soft seat that they really like? 

Offline demon

Re: seat recomendation please
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
Here is a pic of the seat i have...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
You could get the Corbin refurbished.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
How long have you had the Corbin? I love my Corbin but it took some time in the saddle to break it in.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »
Yep, a Corbin is kinda' hard- like concrete only harder. I have heard of some people claiming to have 'broken- in' a Corbin but I really think they just grow calluses and suffer enough nerve damage to their butts to dull the pain....

I tried several saddles on my C-14 and ended up with a Corbin but use Airhawks between me and it. These two things really work well together because the Corbin is a wide, failrly flat platform for the Airhawk and once the Airhawk cushion is in place the saddle might as well be made of granite as you will never actually touch the saddle but rather float on a thin cushion of air. Airhawk used to have and may still have a 30 day no- cost trial period so it might be worth trying one out. I would recommend the original, more expensive type rather than the newer, cheaper models that use a harder and less durable material.

I have no interest in Airhawk or the company, just mentioning the solution that I found worked for me and my wife for long days in the saddle.

Brian

Hello guys/gals

I have a 2008 C14 with a Corbin seat...  The seat is too hard for my liking,  I have a vtx1800 that has a mustang seat and I love it.  Does anyone have a seat recommendation for me?  the Corbin seat is of very good quality and but the firmness of it has got to go.  Anyone have a soft seat that they really like?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
I freely admit that you are a better man than me..... my Corbin reduced me to tears and made me feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants after 30 minutes riding on it. Nice enough product although it does weight a LOT, and the deal- killer was that stuff under the leather they call "foam".

:-)

Seriously, 45 minutes on that thing on the way to work and I could not sit comfortably on a desk chair until after lunch.... And there was the ride home to dread too.

Brian

How long have you had the Corbin? I love my Corbin but it took some time in the saddle to break it in.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
I freely admit that you are a better man than me..... my Corbin reduced me to tears and made me feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants after 30 minutes riding on it. Nice enough product although it does weight a LOT, and the deal- killer was that stuff under the leather they call "foam".

:-)

Seriously, 45 minutes on that thing on the way to work and I could not sit comfortably on a desk chair until after lunch.... And there was the ride home to dread too.

Brian

I haven't done a CC50 on my Corbin (like some people I know  ;D) but have done 1000 miles in 1 day on the Corbin (Austin to Col Springs). I couldn't do that on the stock seat.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
Impressive. I find it amazing that we all find the same saddle to be so different.

I could go about 3 or maybe 4 hours on the stock saddle but by then I was sore enough not to want to sit on anything, especially the bike. A ZX 14 saddle was OK for maybe 2 hours but that was it.

Back to the OP's question, it is not just the saddle that makes for a comfy saddle either; peg height, handlebar height and even windshield size all play into what feels best to your butt. I was amazed to find even 1/2" difference in peg height made a big difference in my comfort on long rides. Unfortunately there is no way, at least no way I had ever found, to have any idea what would work well without trying it for a long ride. Parking lot comfort does not translate to long time in the saddle comfort.

Brian

I haven't done a CC50 on my Corbin (like some people I know  ;D) but have done 1000 miles in 1 day on the Corbin (Austin to Col Springs). I couldn't do that on the stock seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
Impressive. I find it amazing that we all find the same saddle to be so different.[...]Back to the OP's question, it is not just the saddle that makes for a comfy saddle either; peg height, handlebar height and even windshield size all play into what feels best to your butt. [...]Unfortunately there is no way, at least no way I had ever found, to have any idea what would work well without trying it for a long ride. Parking lot comfort does not translate to long time in the saddle comfort.

+1!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 12:26:28 AM »
Hello guys/gals

Take that concrete Corbin to Seth Laam - nuff said. I've had 5 years and 70,000 miles of gluteus max smiles.

sailor_chic

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 05:43:03 AM »
+1 for Seth Laam. He will work his magic on your saddle.
I recently rode my Bun Burner Gold with my Laam saddle, and was on my bike for 23 hrs straight.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:52 AM »
Impressive. I find it amazing that we all find the same saddle to be so different.

I could go about 3 or maybe 4 hours on the stock saddle but by then I was sore enough not to want to sit on anything, especially the bike. A ZX 14 saddle was OK for maybe 2 hours but that was it.

Back to the OP's question, it is not just the saddle that makes for a comfy saddle either; peg height, handlebar height and even windshield size all play into what feels best to your butt. I was amazed to find even 1/2" difference in peg height made a big difference in my comfort on long rides. Unfortunately there is no way, at least no way I had ever found, to have any idea what would work well without trying it for a long ride. Parking lot comfort does not translate to long time in the saddle comfort.

Brian

:goodpost: Amen to that. Horizon ST bars was the single most important long range fix for me. Saddle was second.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »

I had done numerous 300-450 mile days on my Corbin. No issues at all. I had several 200-250 mile days on the stock seat and it nearly killed me.

The Corbin did take some getting used to (or breaking in), but after about 500 or so miles I really liked it.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
I like the Baldwin Seats myself.
Loren built me a heck of a nice/custom seat for my bike.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
Have had Laam and Baldwin. Can't go wrong with either.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »

I agree 100%! I could do about 4 hrs on the stock  seat and I was toast. I bought the Kawasaki Touring Seat, and it was a 100% improvement from stock. I put in a pair of 700 mile days back to back last summer, that I would not have been able to do on the stock seat.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
Here is a new Discussion about a Sergeant seat for sale.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22128.0;topicseen

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Sandeeggoman

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »
Go with Baldwin Saddles or Seth Lamm, you'll be happy and you'll be good for 8-10 hours before you start to start looking to stretch.

sailor_chic

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:21 AM »
Go with Baldwin Saddles or Seth Lamm, you'll be happy and you'll be good for 8-10 hours before you start to start looking to stretch.

This ass (see below)only sits on the best....Laam seats! lol

Rumor is that Baldwin is no longer in business. Send your seat to Laam http://laamseats.com/ you wont be disappointed.