Author Topic: A little work around the house..... basically building a new house.  (Read 10891 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A little work around the house..... basically building a new house.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 11:51:30 am »
4 July: installed 2nd floor A/C wiring (power to the compressors) from 2nd floor panel to outside at ground level and that went far better than expected. Now moving onto the 'linesets' (two copper tubes, one armored electrical cable and one condensate drain) from each mini- split (three total) to the same area outside, basically to ground level. That will not all happen today though, lots of cuts / flares to make on the tubing.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 07:41:15 pm »
All three mini- splits started. power cables and condensate line lying on the bottom of the trusses where they will be corralled and anchored. Warm day, tempers flared, Andrea is going off on a business trip / vacation tagged onto the end. There was no vacation more needed by one party of a couple  ::)   Maybe she comes back, maybe she does not...... Kidding. :-) She is off to Las Vegas on business and will meet up with her brother (who lives one state over) and our sons, one in Las Vegas (just moved there from NC) and one from VA. Not sure but this is the first time the kids have been together with any  other family member (other than parents) in many years. It will prove interesting and hopefully fun for all.

I have to get some quotes on wall insulation and <perhaps> commissioning the mini- splits. Not sure about that one though, a couple of vendors have either refused or given me the 'I do not want to do that price'. So I may be in the market for some new tools I never expected to purchase; looks like one thousand dollars will do it and that is still a buy compared with having it done so no foul there. Plus I have the equipment and storage vessels to fully dischage the system shouit evey need attention, to be moved, etc.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
My wife is on a business trip / vacation..... she is 'vacating' I guess. This triggered the idea that I, too, could take a vacation..... from my house! Got the idea from Bob Wiley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDKiMYgdxSs

8 July: vacating.

9 July: sitting in stunned amazement. I have been waiting for the local elect. co. (National Grid) to stop by and run new taps from the street to my house. I have power but am using the old, 'too small' lines, and they still go to the electrical TeePee in the front yard. New service is in, town inspection is done, power co. engineer approved Service Request (and tried to torture me a bit) and so now waiting for the lineman and boom truck to appear, hopefully this next week. Knock on door this AM, yep, a Sunday, and there is Mr. Lineman in the flesh! Talk to the guy a bit and he is a great guy, strings the new taps and then, during the review of the previous convoluted journey to get to this point, he gives me his cell phone number and suggests to call him directly and maybe he can help me out when it is time to side the house and <maybe> adjust the service! Absolutely amazing. I had no idea that the power co. would do a routine service call such as this one on a weekend. Funny thing is that just after Brian (the lineman Brian, not the forum annoy-er Brian) cut the taps to my house, he got a call from down the road for a 'power out' service call. I said I was surprised that he did not stop working here and go to that call because it was more important, until he pointed out to me that I was now a 'power out' service call too so I had as much prioity as that other customer..... oh yeah, I did not think of it that way (house was w/out power for a couple of hours between removing the old taps and putting in the new one).

Still vacating but now doing so with lots' o' electrons at the ready, lots more there were available yesterday. It all kinda' makes me want to want to break off 20, or 30, or 150 amps and make sparks or something.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:55 pm »
Stringing A/C lines (six sets second floor, six sets first floor), A/C power and control cables today, along with condensate discharge lines. I will try and snap a couple of photos once the lines are corralled a bit and close to 'in place'. It is going far better than my fondest hopes and much better than I actually expected. Lots of flares but they are coming out so nice I now have some conficende the systems will actually pressure- test positively. Going to pressure test wit compressed air after passing it through a desiccation line to dry the air. Nitrogen is recommended but I would have to buy a tank and gauges for that and I believe dry, compressed air will serve just as well. Especially since a LOT of A/C installers apparently skip the pressure test, go right to a vacuum test (which is less than 15 PSI) and find leaks the old- fashioned way.... but tracing leaking refrigerant :-(  The project is coming our far neater and cleaner regarding install than I had expected also.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:48 am »
23 July 2017: 1:30 PM Just finished running A/C lines from second floor to outside. What a gigantic pain in my butt. I had to use some of my very best obscene and creative combinations (singular words have long since failed, now it is a matter of seeking just the right person and describing what they may be doing to / with a close relative, or perhaps a barnyard animal) while doing this little gem. The lines are in place but not yet in place and capped for a pressure test; that is going to have to wait a few days to get some small pieces of drywall up to have a place for the A/C lines to terminate.... but the actual plumbing is done..... OK, it still needs the occasional anchor and final insulation around all joints but hey, that has to wait for the pressure test.

Got a price on insulation: $1,350 for the walls, same for the ceiling (attic), both are blown- in cellulose. The walls get a 'netting' material put over them and the insulation is blown in the pockets, not unlike filling, oh, say, pantyhose with cellulose under modest pressure. The attic just gets the stuff blown in and it rests on the ceiling drywall but there is more of it (12" ceiling, just under 6" in the walls) than in the walls. Still waiting for other quotes and I would kinda' like to try out that spray in (on?) cellulose that sticks to the bays and then they abrade off the surface down to the studs.

And so it goes.....

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 07:02:10 am »
OK, enough with you people throwing rocks at me for a lack of photos!  ;D  Going to try on an Imgur site and see if this works....

So installed mini- split plumbing, electrical, condensate drain (that sounds like it need an Easy Boys! but it really does not) for all wall units and plumbed them outside. The usual way is to mount the wall unit on an exterior wall, drill a 2" or so hole through the house and push all the connections outside. The all connecting lines are connected to the compressors via duct work that looks like gutter downspoints. It works well but is unsightly plus because I am not done with the outside of the house, I did not want this plumbing / ducts all over the place 'cause some of them would absolutely be in the way. So I plumbed mine inside the house, which is a gigantic pain in the butt. Each mini- split gets two insulated copper tubes, one armored cable (plastic covered BX) and one condensate drain, and they all have to punch up into the attic (or the trusses above for the first floor mini- splits), then across the attic, then down through a wall that leads to the second floor / first floor ceiling, then across the first floor ceiling and finally outside. I choose to make a joint in the copper tubes at each turn because it was about impossible to feed 70' of copper tubing around corners and through access valleys in the house structure. So each direction change gets four flares, and a flare fitting. BTW- these are fairly critical as they use a new, high- pressure refrigerant and are not tolerant of leaks (R410a, reaching pressures of 400 PSI).

At the wall bay, between two bedrooms. There will be a wall unit on each wall, so the plumbing here is for two units:

The the run across the attic to the interior wall where there is enough space to route all of this down to the floor below, this is at the other end of the house, at the point where all connections turn and drop down through the interior wall:

There are six copper tubes, three 1/4" (liquid, feed) and three 3/8" (vapor or return), three wiring cables, and two runs of Romex to power the compressors outside in the attic that feed down through that wall, along with the main plumbing vent pipe for both floors.

The the exit from the wall and into the second floor floor and first floor ceiling:

Then another 90 degree turn in the first floor ceiling to the left in the photos:

Across the first floor ceiling, through the second floor floor trusses:

And outside, where these three units of connections join three other from the first floor:

And before someone asks, no, I have no idea which pipe / cable is attached to which interior unit, all have to be blown out with compressed air to remove any debris anyway so I will find and mark them then. Will also pin- out the cables at the same time.

Sorry, either I cannot figure out how to post thumbnails or Imgur does not offer them. ??

Brian

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:26:58 pm by B.D.F. »

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Photo Sidebar
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:01 pm »
just add .jpg to the existing link plus an i. before imugr

eg

http://imgur.com/P2bLUrH  was your link

http://i.imgur.com/P2bLUrH.jpg is the direct image link to wrap in the IMG tags

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

Re: Photo Sidebar
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »
Excellent- thanks Mike!

And it is all automatic if only one chooses the correct link in the first place; I was using a different one from the list of choices, the one you show is listed as BBCode and pastes directly without modification or the need to add the  separately.

Brian

eg

Offline B.D.F.

Re: Photo Sidebar
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 03:03:59 am »
Any idea why when the photos are clicked they appear huge vertically but narrow horizontally?

It works as it is but it would be great if clicking on the photo just brought them in full-size (and maintained aspect ratio).

Right clicking on the photo and choosing 'view image' does bring one to the imgur site, and clicking on the photo there will bring it up full size, it would just be a bit nicer if the image could be clicked on and the image toggled between large thumbnail and full-size.

Thanks!

Brian

eg

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 06:33:47 am »
I had a Rigid sawzall too. Mine was cordless and the Ni-MH batteries completely died. So now I need a new one. When the time comes that I need one, I'll probably go with a 20v Lithium Ion Dewalt and be able to share the batteries with my drills and angle grinder. Looks like quite a project you got going on there Brian!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 07:24:02 am »
So far, I have not had the urge for cordless tools other than drills and impact drivers. Everything else is line- powered and so far, I have not found it to be a hindrance or inconvenience. Not opposed to them in any way, and absolutely would buy and use other cordless tools, just fine line- powered tools work well, have lots o' power and the cord is not a problem. Then again, I am not a contractor and so my 'job site' is always w/in walking and line- power distance.

One thing I am wary about regarding cordless tools is the batteries and chargers: once you jump 'in bed' with a mfg., you are kinda' stuck going forward with both the brand as well as the battery line. Otherwise it ends up with lots of different batteries, chargers and nothing is shared, and those batteries get pricey fast.

Yep, cutting off the second floor, and building a new one is pretty involved. Especially when the original structure needs a lot of adaptation to make the transition to modern construction methods: the original house is post and beam but the second floor is entirely modern in construction. I put a pair of 20" LVL's between all the posts and hung trusses on them, then used sub- flooring to make a diaphragm (Easy Boys! this kind o' diaphragm requires nails and screws). Everything above is modern construction, all exceeding code.

Working on insulation now, in fact, just had a contractor stop by to give me a quote. Lots of choices there too. This whole thing has been a nightmare of choices.

Brian

I had a Rigid sawzall too. Mine was cordless and the Ni-MH batteries completely died. So now I need a new one. When the time comes that I need one, I'll probably go with a 20v Lithium Ion Dewalt and be able to share the batteries with my drills and angle grinder. Looks like quite a project you got going on there Brian!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
27 July: took time off today to do 2- man work. My wife and I blew out the A/C lines (Easy Boys- this is my wife here!), identified them (which one outside goes where inside) and tracked down the mini- split cables. Took 6 hours (!!!).

Also working on heating system. The houses uses forced hot water fired with #2 fuel oil, so that is what will be used on the second floor. Not really wild about baseboard heating, it is in the way, cheap and shoddy looking but it absolutely works and works well. But I have been eye-ballin' some hydronic units that would mount in a wall stud- bay, use forced hot water to heat but push it through a fan forced heat exchanger to actually transfer heat to the room. I installed one as a toe- kick heater in the kitchen a few years back and everyone loves it but it is a bit loud for bedrooms. so I spec'd a much larger one and ordered it with the understanding I could return it after doing a sound test. Got here yesterday, temp. wired it today and 1) the unit is defective and the fan is hitting something internal- sounds like a bucket of bolts in the bucket of a front- end loader but LOUD. But if turned upside- down, it goes away and we listended to the actual fan running and 2) it is far too loud for bedroom use, even on low fan setting. Still looking for a heating solution other than baseboard but baseboard lurks in the corner, with the promise that it does work, has no moving parts, and everybody in this area uses the stuff (northeast US). Sigh. Considering building a bay in the wall that contains baseboard elements, a fan on the opposite side (in the closet) and a small grate at the bottom of the stud bay.... sort of a built- in hydronic heating system.

Brian

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »
http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/
Take a look at radiant cove heat. Not inexpensive, but awesome heat IMO.
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 01:21:45 am »
It does look slick. Unfortunately I cannot use electric heat here, it is cost prohibitive. I have to use forced hot water.

http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/
Take a look at radiant cove heat. Not inexpensive, but awesome heat IMO.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »

Nice pics in the 7/26 posts.   It helps us see what you're describing.

What have you been up to lately?