Author Topic: We're doomed!  (Read 13622 times)

Offline Icefever

Re: We're doomed!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:14 am »
http://globalnews.ca/news/3535819/chocolate-milk-brown-cows-survey/

Many Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows: study

Seven per cent of American adults think chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a survey conducted by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.
Over 1,000 respondents aged 18 and over were interviewed for the survey, which sought to examine people’s views on the role dairy products play in their diet and daily lives.
Extrapolated to the U.S. population, the findings suggest that over 22 million Americans link the milky brown beverage’s source to chocolate-coloured bovines.

The study also found that nearly half of Americans have no idea where chocolate milk comes from.
   :o

Chocolate milk is in fact white cow’s milk mixed with flavouring and sweeteners, the website of the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy reveals.

In less chuckle-inducing findings, the website also says chocolate milk is not linked to weight gain or hyperactivity in children, contrary to common belief.

The survey was conducted as part of the “Undeniably Dairy” project, “which showcases the joy of dairy in everyday life.”

Respondents were not asked where they thought strawberry milk comes from.

We have the same in the UK,  a survey by Asda (Walmart) found the following .........

"The survey commissioned by Asda has revealed that today’s kids lack basic knowledge of where their food comes from.
A whopping 41 per cent didn’t know eggs come from chickens while a quarter thought chicken could only be cooked on a barbecue.
Other shocking statistics included one in ten mistaking leafy kale for a boy’s name, while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.
Some children in the survey, which quizzed 1,000 under the age eight, believed that carrots can take up to TEN YEARS to grow.

Meanwhile 15 per cent of children believed chocolate and cucumbers are grown on trees.
One in 20 even falsely believed that avocados are laid by animals.
Proving that society is failing to lay down the foundations for basic food knowledge, almost a quarter also thought turkey, CHICKEN WINGS and sirloin steak come from a pig.
At a time of convenience, these findings expose how little children understand the food that’s on the plate."

Another study came up with this....

"There is a similar ignorance about fruit and veg. Five per cent believe strawberries grow inside the fridge, while six per cent think they grow on trees.
Over a quarter, 28 per cent, have no idea that carrots grow underground, with 9 per cent, believing they grow on a bush.
And six in ten admitted they didn't know lettuce grew on the ground while a massive 78 per cent didn't know broccoli grew on a plant.

Sustainable food and farming organisation Linking Environment and Farming (Leaf), which surveyed 1,000 children, is calling on parents and their children to attend their local farm this Sunday (June 7) as part of the organisation's Open Farm Sunday event."

We're on thin ice here guys,  but what's the answer???? ::)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:06:46 am »
we also have politicians who think money grows on trees ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:17:43 am »
News Flash: everyone has politicians who think money grows on trees. Just the way it is.

Brian

we also have politicians who think money grows on trees ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 02:23:03 am »
I do not know- maybe most of us do not need to know a lot of this stuff anyway? It is not like we are going to be avocado farmers (or is that avocado livestock raisers?) anytime soon anyway.

Besides I think I am in that group: I had children who knew where raisins come from before I knew. I thought they grew on raisin bushes or something. Seriously, absolutely clueless that raisins used to be grapes, or are still grapes gone terribly, terribly wrong.

And now, I am re- thinking that whole chocolate milk thing.....

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 03:50:55 am »
We have the same in the UK,  a survey by Asda (Walmart) found the following .........

"The survey commissioned by Asda has revealed that today’s kids lack basic knowledge of where their food comes from.
A whopping 41 per cent didn’t know eggs come from chickens while a quarter thought chicken could only be cooked on a barbecue.
Other shocking statistics included one in ten mistaking leafy kale for a boy’s name, while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.
Some children in the survey, which quizzed 1,000 under the age eight, believed that carrots can take up to TEN YEARS to grow.

Meanwhile 15 per cent of children believed chocolate and cucumbers are grown on trees.
One in 20 even falsely believed that avocados are laid by animals.
Proving that society is failing to lay down the foundations for basic food knowledge, almost a quarter also thought turkey, CHICKEN WINGS and sirloin steak come from a pig.
At a time of convenience, these findings expose how little children understand the food that’s on the plate."

Another study came up with this....

"There is a similar ignorance about fruit and veg. Five per cent believe strawberries grow inside the fridge, while six per cent think they grow on trees.
Over a quarter, 28 per cent, have no idea that carrots grow underground, with 9 per cent, believing they grow on a bush.
And six in ten admitted they didn't know lettuce grew on the ground while a massive 78 per cent didn't know broccoli grew on a plant.

Sustainable food and farming organisation Linking Environment and Farming (Leaf), which surveyed 1,000 children, is calling on parents and their children to attend their local farm this Sunday (June 7) as part of the organisation's Open Farm Sunday event."

Thin ice indeed! And with climate change it's getting thinner by the day.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:12 am »
 :deadhorse: :banghead:
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 04:36:48 am »
Ha! I knew that my comment would get someone riled up.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 05:21:21 am »
 8)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:42 am »
while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.

Wait, they expect non-farmers would know how long?  That is a bit unrealistic.  We all know it takes between a couple and several months, but I doubt I know anyone who knows exactly how long.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:36 am »
Wait, they expect non-farmers would know how long?  That is a bit unrealistic.  We all know it takes between a couple and several months, but I doubt I know anyone who knows exactly how long.
depends on whether you want a long or a short carrot ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 07:49:05 am »

I suppose that might depend on who's doing the 'picking'.    :P

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:52 am »
...(or is that avocado livestock raisers?)...
Brian

Ooohhhhhh, give me a home
Where the 'cado's do roam,
And we eat guacamole all day
OK - I got no more... 

I had a weird image of little green skinned cowboys with a lumpy skin condition, riding little ponies herding bunches of...
Wow - psychedelic, man... (and I was too young in the 60's to have really experienced the whole "tripping" thing...)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:11:41 am »
Yeah, too wide an input on that. Let's narrow it down.... to you. What do you like in carrots, Mike?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I remember, not so long ago, when we did not have to resort to things like this to ruin a thread, we did it the old- fashioned way, by mentioning KiPass. :-)

Brian

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:50 am »
Years ago a coworker looked out the window and saw the farmer plowing the field and asked what the farmer grew. i told her pork and beans. She didnt believe me but another guy said we would prove it come harvest time.
So about a month before harvest we buried a can of p and b.
 When the farmer started his harvest we took her out and dug up the can and showed her. She swallowed it like a bluegill swallows a worm.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:13 pm »
I remember seeing this video as a kid and having an argument with another kid. He thought it was absolutely true. I couldn't convince him it was a joke.