Author Topic: Headed to Dillon Colorado  (Read 3519 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Headed to Dillon Colorado
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
I'm loading up the Connie and heading West! There's a Rally out there with the ZZRBikes guys, and I've got to meet some of the Left Coasters. I've had big long days on my bikes before, but I'm out of shape and haven't put many miles on my bikes the last couple of years. I guess I know most of the stuff like pack water, snacks and tire repair, it's going to be the physical part of it I'm worried about... I guess I can pull over and nap under a tree if I have to... I would like to hear any ideas or thoughts, if you've got anything...
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Headed to Dillon Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Take the Harley.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
The riding part is not all that bad but I think you are travelling far enough south to possibly be riding in some pretty high temperatues. I overheat badly sitting in the shade, with a breeze, when it hits 84F (well, not that bad but close) and so my biggest risk would be anything related to heat 'overdose'.

Have a great trip!

Brian

I'm loading up the Connie and heading West! There's a Rally out there with the ZZRBikes guys, and I've got to meet some of the Left Coasters. I've had big long days on my bikes before, but I'm out of shape and haven't put many miles on my bikes the last couple of years. I guess I know most of the stuff like pack water, snacks and tire repair, it's going to be the physical part of it I'm worried about... I guess I can pull over and nap under a tree if I have to... I would like to hear any ideas or thoughts, if you've got anything...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Leave a day early and take your time.
I agree with BDF.   {Don't tell him I said that}
 Heat will be your biggest concern..
   Maybe try cool water on your T-shirt and re-do it when the water evaporates.
     (That will also assure a regularly scheduled stop)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
I suppose I do have one of those cooling vests that you soak...  Thanks!
gPink, not so much... 8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »
The riding part is not all that bad but I think you are travelling far enough south to possibly be riding in some pretty high temperatues. I overheat badly sitting in the shade, with a breeze, when it hits 84F (well, not that bad but close) and so my biggest risk would be anything related to heat 'overdose'.

Have a great trip!

Brian

I commute every day on a bike in triple digits. You wouldn't like it here... for that matter neither do I.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
I could not do it. Literally. I take an auto whenever the temps. reach into the high 80's, use plenty of A/C, and cannot imagine riding a motorcycle in triple digit temps. no matter what.

A friend of mine is somewhere down there where you are and as a Chicago transplant, he cannot tolerate the high summer temps. either. He uses a cooling vest and a container of ice / water to ride. He says it is good for about 3- 4 hours, then he restocks on ice and keeps going. Says it does not make him comfortable but it does make riding tolerable.

I am sitting in an A/C'd room right now, cooling off, because it is 79 outside.

And I never bought in to that 'it is a dry heat' either; my oven is a dry heat and yet the turkey carcasses do not thrive in there. But seriously, I simply cannot imagine doing physical labor, even light labor, when it is hot outside and hot to me is 80F. I even mow the lawn late in the day (often finishing with headlights on and needed) to avoid the higher temps. of the daytime.

On the other side of the coin, cold temps. are no problem. Dressed reasonably well, I can and have ridden a motorcycle down to 11F and had a good time doing it.

Brian

I commute every day on a bike in triple digits. You wouldn't like it here... for that matter neither do I.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »

I am close to Dillon. When and where is the rally? I would like the attend.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
I am close to Dillon. When and where is the rally? I would like the attend.

I'm homesick. Lived in the Springs for 26 years and spent a lot of time in Summit County and the rest of the Colorado Rockies. I really miss places like Dillon in July when I'm riding home from work and the temp on the bike says 104. Not so much in January and the ride home says 64.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Its at the Dillon Inn, and is from the 30th of this month, for as long as you can stay. I'll be there a few days...