Author Topic: Lubing cables  (Read 5266 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: Lubing cables
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 09:37:00 am »
I’d run alcohol or something through that cable to get rid of the crap that is affecting your cable.
I recently installed a mcruise and they state in instructions that properly lubed throttle cables are crucial for the system to work properly. They even supplied a small bottle of oil . I don’t remember the viscosity but do recall reading that if you used motor oil, it’d mess it up ( too high viscosity).
I’d use either a commercial plain oil ( no dry additives added) or sewing machine oil.
Btw, after lubing the cables and the bar end, throttle feels great .
I think I’ll do this everytime I change oil.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:52 am »
This is the best stuff I've found for lubricating control and throttle cables on either motorcycles or bicycles.  It's graphite based with a very thin carrier that gets it all the way down a cable if you squirt it in the high end of the cable.  The carrier evaporates and leaves the slick graphite behind to provide the lubrication.  The graphite doesn't collect crud the way petroleum-based lubes can:

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Aid-Bike-Dri-Slide-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G

But if the cable is gummed up with something else, it may not work well.  So you may need to clean the cable first.  Remember that not all cables can be saved, so if yours is too far gone you may need to replace it.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:53:34 pm »
I use Motion Pro cable lube on my BMW with cable operated clutch and it works great.  Motion Pro is a well respected company that also makes cables, so they should know a thing or two about cables.  Plus, they make it with Red Line oil which is also a well regarded.  Before they came out with this, they recommended silicone spray to lube cables.       

https://www.ebay.com/p/Motion-Pro-15-0002-Cable-Lube/171242556?iid=312134773321&chn=ps
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS