Author Topic: The Future of th C14  (Read 15339 times)

Offline texasdw

Re: The Future of th C14
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:48 am »
This is an interesting discussion.  I've been struck by what the manufacturers are now calling "sport tourer."  It seems Kawasaki wants to convince people that the Versys.  I don't see the Versys as anything remotely like a "sport" tourer.

The sport bike segment doesn't seem to be losing any popularity.  I'm befuddled that as those riders age they don't move toward something like the FJ, Connie, or even the RT.  I'm not sure what they're moving to really.  It does seem that the folks who tend to ride the Concours are indeed an older segment.  As much as I resist, I do fall into that demographic.  Nevertheless...my other bike is a Road King, and I can tell you that my three daughters - all in their 20s approve of my C14 as a "cool" bike.  Not so much the RK.  Of course, they don't ride.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2019, 03:46:43 am »
Until recently I rode to and from work every day. For that I needed a comfy quiet fast bike, like the C10/C14, and they shared the duties.
Now that I no longer commute by bike, my needs are different, so the C10 is now my tourer thanks to it's Russell Daylong, bar risers, Rifle screen, etc.
The C14 is now my sportsbike as I simply don't fit on smaller bikes (and even the C14 is not as comfy as I'd like).
I've tried the H2 SX (torture rack), the Versys 1000 (better but not suited to my build), and a couple of other Kawis.
The best fit ergonomically are the K1600GT and the Wing, but I'm not yet ready to give up the sound and excitement for a Grandpa bike.  :popcorn:
The R1250RT or R1250GS are possibles, but even with more power than the 1150/1200, that engine is just too bland.

Of course the other option is to buy a used bike that is what you want.
There are plenty of used C10s & C14 out there.  :thumbs:

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2019, 04:49:05 am »
Grandpa bike???  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:06 am »
Of course the other option is to buy a used bike that is what you want. There are plenty of used C10s & C14 out there.  :thumbs:

It is discontinued there (well, everywhere except here and Canada).  But I have still not heard any "official" word there won't be a 2020.  Has anyone heard/seen otherwise yet?  I was very surprised last year when there was a 2019...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:10 am »
Don’t discount the 2019 Versys as a sport tourer now that Kawasaki made it into strictly a road bike.  Many reviews call it a sport tourer.  Owning this one and the C-14, I can say that the Versys is sportier through the turns, but the C-14 has more power hands down.  If I were touring, the Versys is just as capable (smaller saddle bags at 28 L) as the C-14, and with the cruise control, perhaps even the better option for long overnight trips.  On the Versus you sit more upright and the handlebars are wider.  I believe for very long rides the Versys is more comfortable, and the wind protection is adequate.   But dang, I still like the C-14 and will be keeping it.  It's hard to explain, but the C-14 is obviously faster, but the Versys seems like it has more torque and and is quicker off the throttle.  The up and down quick shifter may be part of that. 
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2019-Versys-1000-SE-LT-Plus?cm_re=CATEGORYLANDING-_-PRODUCTTHUMBNAIL-_-PRODUCTDETAILS

Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2019, 07:31:40 am »
The ZX14 is being discontinued so the 2020 model will be the last one. I would imagine the Connie will also be discontinued, unless they sell a shed load of them this year, but I could be wrong. The C14 was discontinued in 2017 over here.

I'm discounting the Versys 1000 because it is physically too small for me (6'4", 400lbs). The motor and handling is good, most of the rest is adequate, the side-bags, weather protection and comfort are poor (for me) and it failed to excite me. If I were in the market for that kind of bike it might be an R1250GS but more likely a KTM 1290 SuperAdventure S as it has the C14's power, torque and gas mileage in a lighter taller package.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:51 am »
Boomer, I can see why your requirements force you to a larger bike.  When you park the Versys 1000 next to the C-14, the Versus appears to be larger.  The seat height is a bit higher, they are the same length, and the Versys overall is taller.  If I recall, the Versys is 130 pounds lighter. 

Offline dvitous

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:09 am »
Unfortunately, the "future of motorcycles" requires me to grow about 4".  The C14 feels like a stretch over my C10, and I'd need 3" platform shoes to touch the ground on a Versys  :P   Not just with Kaw.. but a lot of the bike mfgrs out there.
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2019, 11:57:27 am »
The Versys does "squish" down when you sit on it due to the longer travel compared to the C-14.  Once you get on it, you might find yourself flat footing?   I'm 6' 1" so not an issue for me, but I totally get what you are saying. 

Offline olie

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2019, 12:07:27 pm »
I have both.... I will give YTD numbers... rode the C14 over 10k miles, rode the V1k less than 2k miles. Planing a ride newt week of about 2k miles.... you guessed right, C14 all the way.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »
Funny you say that because I recently was leaving for a 1000 mile plus trip to northern NY and Canada and choose the C-14.  It was a COG event however, which may have tipped the scales. 

Kawasaki does indeed list a 2020 C-14 on their Website, so there is life for one more year at least.  No changes that I can spot... 

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2020-Concours-14-ABS?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2019, 03:37:09 pm »
Don’t discount the 2019 Versys as a sport tourer

It is not shaft drive, small fairings, non-electric windscreen, smaller bags, 309cc smaller engine (30+hp less, but weighs only 2 pounds less), no TPS, 1/3 less warranty.  Also no analog speedo (blech) and a 1" HIGHER seat AND costs thousands more (???!)  At least it is the same wheelbase as the C14 and has updated stuff.  Sure, you could tour on it, but it is still not the same class.

[updated with a few corrections]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:32:29 pm by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2019, 03:59:06 pm »
To clarify, the windscreen is adjustable, just not electric. The warranty is 2 years, not 3 like the C-14. Owning both, the four things I miss most on the V1k in order are KIPASS (hate dealing with an ignition key), the electric Windscreen, the shaft drive, and the larger better shaped saddle bags.  So you pretty much called out what I experience. I made up for the other thing I liked by getting a TPMS system which is arguably better since the batteries are easily changed and also shows tire temp.

Things I won’t need to do or change are the seat, install LED lights, add cruise control, and a slip on exhaust. I’m finding myself riding the smaller tighter less travelled country roads because the electronic controlled suspension, suspension travel and the quick shifter make it more fun to travel those roads compared to the C-14 which is better suited to eat miles on longer smoother roads. Kawasaki calls the C-14 a super sport tourer, so perhaps the Verses gets the sport tourer badge.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2019, 04:41:49 pm »
All of the 2020 models were just released. They are continuing the Concours14 for 2020, but it is identical to the 2019. Not even a color change. Still the parts bin bike. Gloss black, mat black, and silver.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24290.0
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2019, 05:31:15 pm »
To clarify, the windscreen is adjustable, just not electric.

I suppose that helps a little

The warranty is 2 years, not 3 like the C-14.

Sorry, I thought it said 36 months an hour ago when I checked the 2020 Versys 1000LT.  Will correct other posting.