Author Topic: Stupid is as stupid does  (Read 10947 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2019, 08:17:07 am »
Ok, based on the statement "In court Monday, Judge Phillip Montgomery ordered that Hoover be held on a $10,000 bond. If he were to come up with the $1,000 needed to get out of jail" I have an (honest) question.  (?)

I've seen this before; a person has to come up with 1/10th of the Bond/Bail to get out of jail.
Why is there a bond set and a person has to come up with only 1/10th of that amount?  :o

To me, the idea definitely qualifies as "Stupid is as stupid does".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2019, 10:15:41 am »
I've seen this before; a person has to come up with 1/10th of the Bond/Bail to get out of jail.
Why is there a bond set and a person has to come up with only 1/10th of that amount?  :o

It usually works out all around. If "dufus" doesn't show he (or usually his bondsman) owe the court $10,000. The 10% usually ends up being the fee that the bondsman gets to keep after dufus is convicted or exonerated. This works out in that the tax payer is relieved of the burden of housing; feeding;and medically attending to the dufus. The state doesn't have to keep tabs on the dufus as usually the bondsman makes the dufus check in weekly or will do the search for dufus when dufus goes missing. This also prevents an undo burden on the poor if they are innocent, in that they can continue to work and not get too much poorer as they would if in jail waiting for trial. It could occasionally leave a bondsman in a bad spot financially but then that applies to almost any business. There may be insurance companies that insure bondsmen for all I know about it.

Apologies to anyone here that might be named "dufus", no insult was intended.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
Yeah, all of that plus it is a Constitutional right to have physical freedom unless convicted of some crime or if one presents a 'immediate and dire' danger to society.

As to the bail bondsman losing that 90% (or whatever it is in each circumstance), remember there are a lot of bounty hunters in the US and they can be outright relentless, and vicious, in the pursuit of those with outstanding warrants. And as they only get paid when they produce these persons, they put a lot of effort into it as well as it being their only job; picking up those with outstanding warrants usually falls pretty low on the 'to do' list of gov't employed law enforcement.

Brian

It usually works out all around. If "dufus" doesn't show he (or usually his bondsman) owe the court $10,000. The 10% usually ends up being the fee that the bondsman gets to keep after dufus is convicted or exonerated. This works out in that the tax payer is relieved of the burden of housing; feeding;and medically attending to the dufus. The state doesn't have to keep tabs on the dufus as usually the bondsman makes the dufus check in weekly or will do the search for dufus when dufus goes missing. This also prevents an undo burden on the poor if they are innocent, in that they can continue to work and not get too much poorer as they would if in jail waiting for trial. It could occasionally leave a bondsman in a bad spot financially but then that applies to almost any business. There may be insurance companies that insure bondsmen for all I know about it.

Apologies to anyone here that might be named "dufus", no insult was intended.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2019, 04:53:52 pm »
Yeah, all of that plus it is a Constitutional right to have physical freedom unless convicted of some crime or if one presents a 'immediate and dire' danger to society.

^^^^^^this
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2019, 08:54:06 am »
Still seems like a stupid system to me.

More sense; Set the Bond for a reasonable number that some can post Bond for, not an unreal number that can't be met and let them pay 10%.

Reason I ask; We have had a "Dufus" in our area that Bonded out 3 times in a row for snatching purses and beating up old ladies.   After he got out the 3rd time, he tried again, shot a cop and the cop shot/killed him. (Good riddance)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2019, 03:03:54 pm »
Still seems like a stupid system to me.[...]Reason I ask; We have had a "Dufus" in our area that Bonded out 3 times in a row for snatching purses and beating up old ladies.   After he got out the 3rd time, he tried again, shot a cop and the cop shot/killed him. (Good riddance)

I don't think the bond system was the fault there.  If there was a repeat pattern, it seems odd the judge would set a reachable bond or even allow it at that point.  I believe they do have discretion for such situations (although I really don't know for sure).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc