Author Topic: Got snow!  (Read 7752 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Got snow!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:32:30 am »
15F last night.  10F tonight.  Car still stuck in garage.  Still stranded at home, now until Tuesday :(
They plowed all the main roads, and even the secondaries, but not my neighborhood- none of which matters anyway, because my driveway is hopeless.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:53 am »
15F last night.  10F tonight.  Car still stuck in garage.  Still stranded at home, now until Tuesday :(
They plowed all the main roads, and even the secondaries, but not my neighborhood- none of which matters anyway, because my driveway is hopeless.

Shoveling snow is a good aerobic workout.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 09:42:49 am »
Shoveling snow is a good aerobic workout.

When it originally fell, it was a mix, so it froze solid on the bottom.  I simply don't have the energy (or correct tools) to remove it.  My driveway is short but steep and has a particularly difficult connection to the road, which is also not clear, and there is also a buried park car on the opposite side of the street.   G37S is rear-wheel drive with little ground clearance.   I have been stuck trying to get out of the driveway in the past in similar conditions.

So I am just not desperate enough to expend the energy or take the risk.  So, stuck I am!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 10:25:11 am »
When it originally fell, it was a mix, so it froze solid on the bottom.  I simply don't have the energy (or correct tools) to remove it.  My driveway is short but steep and has a particularly difficult connection to the road, which is also not clear, and there is also a buried park car on the opposite side of the street.   G37S is rear-wheel drive with little ground clearance.   I have been stuck trying to get out of the driveway in the past in similar conditions.

So I am just not desperate enough to expend the energy or take the risk.  So, stuck I am!

It is unfortunate that kids these days are not willing to seize the opportunity to make money. When I was a kid... (wait, I must be getting old. I'm telling "when I was a kid" stories!)

Anyway, I made a killing going door to door shoveling snow. How else was a poor farm kid going to make money to pay for dirt bikes and parts?!?!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:15 am »
FIFY  Conrad.  :rotflmao:

Moving snow out of the way is one of life's most useless tasks IMO. By June, all of it is gone anyway and so the entire process is pointless. A nature- provided, make- work project.

I now have two snowblowers and am not done yet 'cause both of them are horrible to use. The first was a 29" Craftsman (made by AYP) and I 'stepped in it' pretty badly when I bought it because I did not realize it has a locked axle. So maneuvering the thing is a true horror show and exhausting. Then I bought a tracked Honda, going to the very epitome of snowblowers to ease that problem and that one is nearly as hard to maneuver but worse, very difficult to set up and use on a crushed stone driveway because the cutting edge, and auger depth is adjustable and can be set to be too high or too low.  ::)  So now I am eye-balling another, and hopefully final, solution. I am going to try a set of polymer shoes, much longer than the stock setup and hopefully that may allow the Honda to be set to dig in but prevent it from actually digging into the stone. Honda has corrected all of these errors and situations but a new blower is close to $3K. Ariens has some that also seem like they would work very well but frankly I am not confident that a middle- of- the- line model will be the solution and their top- of- the- line models are MORE than $3K. I would love to lease one for a season and 'test blow' (Easy Boys!) with it before actually buying one but that is not possible. And used Hondas are much less common than chicken's teeth, and the Ariens newer units are too new to be showing up used yet.

Brian

Shoveling snow is a good aerobic workout..... that is enjoyable to watch others perform from the comfort of one's living room, preferably with the wood stove loaded and humming along.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:10:03 am »
This is where / when 4WD, especially with a low- range transfer case, comes in handy. My wife's car will not move but mine will.

Normally I blow the snow out of the driveway but between the low temps. and extreme wind, I am ignoring it for a couple of days. It <might> be sufficiently calm tomorrow to clean things up. Nothing worse than blowing powdery snow on a windy day 'cause about a third of everything that goes through the blower goes down the user's neck, or so it seems.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 11:22:55 am »
I made a killing going door to door shoveling snow. How else was a poor farm kid going to make money to pay for dirt bikes and parts?!?!

Farms must have been different then? I recall them being far apart, and the door to door thing would have been a 20 mile hike for maybe 10 doors.

Now in the urban areas, we* (*poor urban kids needing alley minibike money) already had a job delivering newspapers door to door in the snow that wasn't shoveled yet. We had big carts with 36" wheels and when those wouldn't go (they went pretty well as they had skinny wheels and high clearance {similar to, but much better than, these}), we had some sleds. I only had to use a sled on one day. I hated the sled because it would only hold about one fifth of my route before it would sink too far in the snow, so it required 4 extra trips back to the "barn" (a big city commercial garage really) to reload. The next time a sled day occurred I took half a load out in the cart then came back and reloaded just once. I finished before all the others(all using sleds) by 90 minutes and I was the only one from our "barn" to get to school on time that day. To the best of my knowledge they stacked up the sleds and didn't use them again after that.
 Now I think the papers there are all* (*probably not that many, as newspapers seem to be dying out as it seems only old people read them) delivered by adults in SUVs.

When I was a kid... (wait, I must be getting old. I'm telling "when I was a kid" stories!)
Welcome to the club, you young whippersnapper!  :chugbeer:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 12:20:16 pm »
Farms must have been different then? I recall them being far apart, and the door to door thing would have been a 20 mile hike for maybe 10 doors.

Now in the urban areas, we* (*poor urban kids needing alley minibike money) already had a job delivering newspapers door to door in the snow that wasn't shoveled yet. We had big carts with 36" wheels and when those wouldn't go (they went pretty well as they had skinny wheels and high clearance {similar to, but much better than, these}), we had some sleds. I only had to use a sled on one day. I hated the sled because it would only hold about one fifth of my route before it would sink too far in the snow, so it required 4 extra trips back to the "barn" (a big city commercial garage really) to reload. The next time a sled day occurred I took half a load out in the cart then came back and reloaded just once. I finished before all the others(all using sleds) by 90 minutes and I was the only one from our "barn" to get to school on time that day. To the best of my knowledge they stacked up the sleds and didn't use them again after that.
 Now I think the papers there are all* (*probably not that many, as newspapers seem to be dying out as it seems only old people read them) delivered by adults in SUVs.
Welcome to the club, you young whippersnapper!  :chugbeer:

Farm was just out side the "city limits" of a small farm town (population 2700). My family didn't own the farm, but I worked on it growing up before we moved into the small farm town. Still did some occasional work there after we moved into town when I wasn't mowing lawns, detasselling corn, and other side jobs.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 12:42:16 pm »
Detasseling corn?  You sound like a central ILL-inois boy.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 12:57:56 pm »
Detasseling corn?  You sound like a central ILL-inois boy.

Exactly!

I grew up between the corn field and the soybean field.  :rotflmao:  I was only a stones throw from the geographical center of Illinois. Left as soon as I finished high school. I go back occasionally to visit family that still live there.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »
McLean and Woodford for me. Further south now...don't get back much.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 01:34:13 pm »
McLean and Woodford for me. Further south now...don't get back much.

Mason County here.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:15 pm »
bought the el cheapo Troy blower in 2011 when we moved back to the land of "lake effect" snows, and never had an issue with it...   so other than fuel, I have about $90 per year invested in my machine, which starts first time everytime...
love the fact it's a "plug in" starter, simply plug the end of my extension cord directly into a shielded set of blades, push the throttle lever, pump the bulb 5 times, and hit the button... vrooooooom...
love it.
we got blasted a couple times last year, and since christmas this year i think we had an accumulation of about 18"... childs play for the machine....
I even cut pathways thru the yard, so the dog can get out and poop away from the house... she is getting old.. and can't get thru the snow....

last years snow...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »
this year is much colder... we just got above 0*, and will have a heat wave this week, getting into 20* zone tomorrow... after single digits or negative ones, for the last week and a half...

new years eve picture of snow...wasn't too bad...

SO much for my "pepper garden"..hehehehehh

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:13 pm »
What is this snow stuff you fellas keep mentioning?

Signed, I rode every day this week.  8)

PS - danged glad we're not retired and living in SW Va yet.
IBA #18591