Author Topic: Brakes- rear caliper  (Read 2266 times)

Offline roadcouch98

Brakes- rear caliper
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
I wasn't paying attention when doing a brake pad replacement, and loosened (NOT REMOVED) the wrong fasteners on the rear caliper. A small amount of brake fluid leaked out, before I realized. I retightened them
Now, I have VERY LITTLE rear brake pedal travel(standing literally on the pedal), and as such, very little rear brake.
Not leaking.
How do you bleed the caliper ?

Offline roadcouch98

Re: Brakes- rear caliper
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:22 AM »
OR, is there something else that might have happened, possibly concerning ABS, and how to correct the problem ?
It's quite nice to have brakes.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
There are two bleeders on the rear caliper, one on either side of the rotor. You have to bleed both of them.

These systems bleed exactly like everything else on all vehicles, and all the usual methods work although I find power bleeding to work much better and easier.

Brian

I wasn't paying attention when doing a brake pad replacement, and loosened (NOT REMOVED) the wrong fasteners on the rear caliper. A small amount of brake fluid leaked out, before I realized. I retightened them
Now, I have VERY LITTLE rear brake pedal travel(standing literally on the pedal), and as such, very little rear brake.
Not leaking.
How do you bleed the caliper ?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
Worse comes to worse you may want to remove the caliper from the mounts (leave the brake tubing intact) to get it to a higher position and then bleeding it while knocking on it with small hammer (Maxwell comes to mind) to move the air bubbles out.  Air is bound to be in the caliper itself.  I find the rear caliper is as finicky as the clutch system.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadcouch98

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
I know about the caliper having two bleeders and did try to bleed them both.
I'll try removing the caliper(without loosening the wrong fasteners AGAIN) to 'knock' the air bubbles out of the system.
Thank you both for the replies.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »
I did something similar when replacing pads.  I had the pads off and the caliper pulled so I could get to the pistons and scrub off the grime.  I wanted to have as much of the piston exposed as I could so I squeezed the brake lever a little, just a little squeeze...  and one of the pistons popped out!!!  Brake fluid pouring out.  I managed to work the piston back into the caliper body and proceeded to bleed the brakes.  It worked out fine but I was concerned that I may have completely emptied the caliper body and had to remove a huge bubble of air.

I bleed the brake fluid every time I replace pads now.  It is crazy easy since I installed Speed Bleeders.  I put Speed Bleeders on my truck too.  I will have less worry about old, crappy brake fluid gumming up the works.  Check them out, you just might love them as much as I do.

Offline roadcouch98

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:29:22 PM »
Tree -
Do you know the size of the Speed Bleeder ?
I will try them.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
I don't remember the size.  For the work that they save the cost is crazy good.  I had to call them: Toll Free Number  1 888 879 7016

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Tree -
Do you know the size of the Speed Bleeder ?
I will try them.

Offline roadcouch98

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »

SB8125#    M8 X 1.25    1.10, (27.99)
^
I looked them up. Supposed to be these.
Spring is near. Gotta move on it.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
SB8125#    M8 X 1.25    1.10, (27.99)
^
I looked them up. Supposed to be these.
Spring is near. Gotta move on it.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

don't forget the ones on the clutch, and brake master cylinders, and clutch slave cylinder...
do them all at once, as you will be buying a quart of brake fluid and flushing everything anyway...

here
one stop shopping for the complete set...
fast shipping, fastest you will ever find for parts on your bike...
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_157&products_id=419

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline roadcouch98

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Man of Blues,
My order is on its way.
Thanks again.