Author Topic: ROD KNOCKING  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Kelly E

Re: ROD KNOCKING
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:29 pm »
Yep, a clacking noise that sounded like a rod knock.
Never Give Up  Never Surrender

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:13 am »
You found it!  Put it back together and enjoy it!  Thanks again to advice and discussion from SISF!

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to which position they are in when they wear because the part simply wasn't manufactured correctly (tempered).  The peps assembling them just grab a random set from a container and install them wherever they wind up.  Most of time 8 good ones were used during assembly.

P.S. - I know you said you bought a set, but I would just replace the bad one since you know the rest are unworn and still good.  Keep them in the exact same place also.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
    • Things that keep me busy
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 08:36:02 am »
Good Idea. 7 of the followers have proven good for thousands of miles. Why take a chance on replacing them. I'll just change the bad one and have 7 spares.
Darn, its only Wednesday and the parts wont arrive until Friday. 
Today is supposed to be near 60 degrees outside. Maybe I will take one of the bikes for a spin.
1 Connie, 2 Magnas, 1 Yamaha Vstar 950 Touring.
https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:40 pm »
Pulled the intake followers today. The oil feeder tube is filthy. no wonder that follower failed. I am surprised that none of the others have not failed as well. Most of the feeder holes are so dirty you can see the sludge caked up inside the tube. I pushed a cotton swab through it and it came out black.

I need to know is there an engine flush for motorcycles that everyone trusts as safe?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:59 am »
All my opinions and probably what I would do:

The oil tube, unless it was blocked, was probably not the real problem unless they're all bad.  It was still bad manufacturing.  I would just put fresh oil in it.  The C-10 has a wet clutch so anything you add will ruin the disks.  If you are that concerned you could remove a few of the supply lines and flush them out, but probably a waste of time.  I would just consider a little more frequent oil changes with a fresh filter each time for now.  If it was me (IMHO) I would use synthetic (and I do, Rotella-T6).  You can pick up the Walmart house brand or the better Rotella-T6 for a good price, especially since you might be changing it more frequently now (for a while).  Also, just a reminder, the C-10 has TWO drain plugs - not including the filter itself.

Since you are in there already, you may want to consider changing the thermo to make sure it is keeping the engine as hot as possible.  You can actually use one from a car.  Tell them you want one from a 1983 Honda Accord.  The model doesn't matter.  Get the 192 degree I think it is.  Order the O-rings from the local dealer or online (2 if I remember, a big one and a smaller one) for the housing before you start though as they usually dissolve into black bubble gum over time and you won't be able to seal it back once opened.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 07:58:28 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the advice and good suggestions.

Just buttoned it up. (except for the tank and seat.  Bad lifter did the trick. Sounds like a new bike. !!!

I just changed the one bad follower and left the others alone. So I have 7 back ups.

Decided against the flush. I am just going to change the oil with some really cheap  stuff and run it for a while then change it again.

This $300 parts bike just turned into a $2k Connie.

Thanks again guys.

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 06:48:02 pm »

Offline Rubber_Snake

• 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »
Very nice work!  Sounds great.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 42k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Symtec heat demon grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash.