Author Topic: Congrats to SpaceX!  (Read 5213 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Congrats to SpaceX!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:14 am »
And on that positive note, the launch took me back to 4th grade where we took time out of the school day to watch the launch activities.   Good to see a rocket (US) of size take off from Kennedy again. 

What's also interesting to me is the naming of the Falcon 9 using the word 'heavy'.   Back in the 50's the AF used that term on the big boy recon and bomber wings.   For instance, my dad was a crew chief at Ellsworth AFB on the RB-36.   28th SRW, Heavy.  SRW for you youngsters is Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.

I really don't care where Elon gets his money from.  I'm glad my taxes helped support his efforts in space, cars, and solar technology.   At least he's got something to show for it, unlike NASA at the moment who's still piddling with the Mars effort.  I do agree that we should start using the Moon for bases, industrial mining and cheese (not necessarily in that order).

I'm also wondering why we haven't developed the technology to build the rockets in space or the moon where they don't require as much fuel to head to their destinations.

you still need to get all the components (including the fuel) up there so that in itself requires fuel.....
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:29 am »
The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour about 300 feet from the drone ship. As a result, two engines on the drone ship were taken out when it crashed, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press call after the rocket launch. “[It] was enough to take out two thrusters and shower the deck with shrapnel,” he said.

:'( unfortunate

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:54 am »
you still need to get all the components (including the fuel) up there so that in itself requires fuel.....

I'll leave the details up to you  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology (sold).  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:45 am »
And screw Mars...we should be industrializing the moon. Supposedly has ice/water which means O2. It's out of the Earths gravity strongest well. yada yada yada

gPink, Could you retype the highlighted part in english better word choices?

Overall I agree with most of you, send only unmanned probes to Mars, and let's develop the moon.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:28:38 am »
watch/listen to this, make sure you use headphones!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y&feature=em-subs_digest
--

Offline O.C.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 01:30:28 am »
And on that positive note, the launch took me back to 4th grade where we took time out of the school day to watch the launch activities.   Good to see a rocket (US) of size take off from Kennedy again. 

What's also interesting to me is the naming of the Falcon 9 using the word 'heavy'.   Back in the 50's the AF used that term on the big boy recon and bomber wings.   For instance, my dad was a crew chief at Ellsworth AFB on the RB-36.   28th SRW, Heavy.  SRW for you youngsters is Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.

I really don't care where Elon gets his money from.  I'm glad my taxes helped support his efforts in space, cars, and solar technology.   At least he's got something to show for it, unlike NASA at the moment who's still piddling with the Mars effort.  I do agree that we should start using the Moon for bases, industrial mining and cheese (not necessarily in that order).

I'm also wondering why we haven't developed the technology to build the rockets in space or the moon where they don't require as much fuel to head to their destinations.

Gotcha Jim  :)      

http://zemonster.tripod.com/cheesy.html 
CARPE DIEM

KLZ 1000 BH ..GREEN

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 04:27:09 am »
Damn Gary, you're just a fucking ray of sunshine ain't ya?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:13 am »
Sorry, bad day.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 05:07:40 am »
And for those extra special months where we get two full moons, blue cheese is served.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology (sold).  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 06:04:23 am »
And for those extra special months where we get two full moons, blue cheese is served.

But what if it's also a blood moon? Is the blue cheese served with side of blood pudding?  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 06:05:43 am »
We'll hold off on the pudding..

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 07:32:08 am »
We'll hold off on the pudding..

idf it's a blood moon than black pudding would be appropriate :)
--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 05:53:22 am »
Tesla in space!

Here's the latest pic of the world's fastest car (8,300mph).

click to zoom

At the time, the car was 493,000 km (306,000) away, not far beyond the orbit of the Moon, receding from Earth about 3.7 km/s (8,300 mph). Reflecting sunlight, it shone about as brightly as a 16th magnitude star.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 05:57:11 am »
Interesting. Which telescope was used to take that pic?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:34 am »
Interesting. Which telescope was used to take that pic?

Sorry, here's the info.

http://spaceweather.com/

AMATEUR ASTRONOMERS PHOTOGRAPH ROADSTER IN SPACE: It's official. Elon Musk's cherry red Tesla Roadster is a spacecraft. NASA is now listing the electric car in its database of celestial objects with an ephemeris for tracking it available on JPL's Horizons web site.

Using that ephemeris, along with a remote-controlled telescope in Siding Spring, Australia, amateur astronomer Adriano Valvasori photographed the Roadster on Feb. 8th. It is the faint speck circled in red:

Details:

FSQ106 f/5
Sbig SLT-11000M
L5x60s