Author Topic: This is a proverbial bridge too far......  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Conniesaki

Re: This is a proverbial bridge too far......
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:15 am »
This particular young lady sounds like a big positive vote for democracy and the system  in the USA.

Not to me. She's here illegally. She's a trespasser. If a group of 20 people break into your home and live there while you're on vacation, but they do a good job of keeping your house clean while you're away, is that OK? Can they keep living there when you get home?

On a different but similar note: So I'm sitting in a bar across from two very large women and I say, "Cool accents. Are you two from Scotland?" One yells back, "It's WALES YOU IDIOT!" I say, "OK so you are two whales from Scotland?"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:38 am »
The U.S. contributes to our own problems with conflicting laws and regulations.  Since non-citizens can serve in the military, it gives people room to argue that, if someone can fight and die for the U.S., then they should be able to do all other things that citizens can do.  That's a question I don't have an answer for, but it does contribute to a "gray area" in immigrants' status.

https://www.thebalance.com/can-a-non-u-s-citizen-join-the-united-states-military-3354092
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:35 am »
The U.S. contributes to our own problems with conflicting laws and regulations.  Since non-citizens can serve in the military, it gives people room to argue that, if someone can fight and die for the U.S., then they should be able to do all other things that citizens can do.  That's a question I don't have an answer for, but it does contribute to a "gray area" in immigrants' status.

https://www.thebalance.com/can-a-non-u-s-citizen-join-the-united-states-military-3354092

Just to clarify, that's legal Immigrants on non Citizen status that can serve in some capacities.

Illegal immigrants ae still excluded (unless part of DACA which this young lady has had rejected initially)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »
Again, not ILLEGAL aliens. Illegal aliens should not be doing anything here except looking for the nearest exit.

You are talking about legal aliens of one type or another, and that is fine with me, and I think, most Americans. A 'green' card, a visa, permanent resident status, diplomatic posting, a work visa.... there are many ways to be in the US legally while NOT being a citizen and no one I know is opposed to that.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 01:00:26 pm »

"Can" fight and die. Don't have to.

I don't actually know why our military would let non-citizens fight. How do we even know which side they're really on? (not that becoming a citizen guarantees a person is on our side, but it sure seems like a better indicator than somebody who isn't a citizen)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 04:02:30 pm »
I don't actually know why our military would let non-citizens fight.

It does seem rather bizarre to me, and I certainly don't support it, myself.  Are they THAT desperate to have people enlist??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »
It does seem rather bizarre to me, and I certainly don't support it, myself.  Are they THAT desperate to have people enlist??
of the 195  countries in the world there's olya relatively small number that allow foreigners to serve in their Military

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_militaries_that_recruit_foreigners#Z
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 04:47:41 pm »
I do not know why either but they do. In fact, military service as a LEGAL alien is a pathway to citizenship. My F-I-L gained US citizenship by serving 2 yrs. in the US Army and a non- US citizen (but legal resident!).

Brian

"Can" fight and die. Don't have to.

I don't actually know why our military would let non-citizens fight. How do we even know which side they're really on? (not that becoming a citizen guarantees a person is on our side, but it sure seems like a better indicator than somebody who isn't a citizen)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »
but you have due process that allows varying methods of allowing illegal immigrants to legalise their status.

Whilst they are following those due processes they are allowed to stay and if State law allows even hold official positions.

All done by the Great American Rule Book ;)

Only once they have exhausted the relevant d process are they liable to deportation.

Similar sort of thing happens in a lot of countries

Side note:

The USA is more like the EU now that I think about it.

A ragtag collection of countries/states with their own legislations which may/may not be at odds with the higher level legislations.

Califormia (as I understand it) deliberately changed their laws to **** off Trump

Again, not ILLEGAL aliens. Illegal aliens should not be doing anything here except looking for the nearest exit.

You are talking about legal aliens of one type or another, and that is fine with me, and I think, most Americans. A 'green' card, a visa, permanent resident status, diplomatic posting, a work visa.... there are many ways to be in the US legally while NOT being a citizen and no one I know is opposed to that.

Brian
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:28 pm »
but you have due process that allows varying methods of allowing illegal immigrants to legalise their status.
Whilst they are following those due processes they are allowed to stay and if State law allows even hold official positions.
All done by the Great American Rule Book ;)
Only once they have exhausted the relevant d process are they liable to deportation.
Similar sort of thing happens in a lot of countries

Side note:

The USA is more like the EU now that I think about it.
A ragtag collection of countries/states with their own legislations which may/may not be at odds with the higher level legislations.

Califormia (as I understand it) deliberately changed their laws to **** off Trump

Their laws are unconstitutional as immigration and border security are within the purview of the Fedgov.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 08:50:12 pm »
Their laws are unconstitutional as immigration and border security are within the purview of the Fedgov.

One of the few things that actually *is* supposed to be done by the Fed....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 10:52:19 pm »
Oddly enough it was CBP that stopped and initially detained her & 8 others when they rentered the USA in 2013 via Nogales which I believe is in Arizona.

Due process was then followed and she moved back to California.

All sounds pretty kosher & by the book to me by all concerned  ;)
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 01:56:43 am »

On a different but similar note: So I'm sitting in a bar across from two very large women and I say, "Cool accents. Are you two from Scotland?" One yells back, "It's WALES YOU IDIOT!" I say, "OK so you are two whales from Scotland?"

lololol
--

Offline sanmo

• Arena
Re: This is a proverbial tempest in a teapot......
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:34 am »
So she gets appointed as member in an advisory panel, probably non-paying job for which she is eminently qualified. You all are behaving as if she was appointed California AG. Without knowing her parent's background I would label her an American success story. I fully believe in US sovereignty and the need for border and immigration control, but you are not going to deport some 12 million illegal immigrants without some serious disruption to the economy and society. Sure, get rid of the felons and MS-13 gang members, but you cannot abandon compassion and humanity.
Unless you are 100% Native American, we are all frickin' immigrants or descended from immigrants. The display of xenophobia, islamophobia, allegations of voter fraud and irrelevant father-in-law stories makes me wonder if I stumbled into an alt-right convention.
This chick could very well become the Rosa Parks of immigration reform, unless Sessions finds a way to deport her ass back to Mexico as some of you wish. :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2018, 08:11:52 am »
So what part of illegal don't you understand?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.