Author Topic: 2014 C14 replacing clutch  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Cigars

• 2011 C14 P, 97 C10 original owner, 80 XS1100,
2014 C14 replacing clutch
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
I will probably be replacing the clutch this summer or fall. Anyone done one? Just curious as to how long it takes with all the blasted body work.
I'll be using all stock OEM parts.
Cheers.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: 2014 C14 replacing clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
why replace the clutch? is it slipping? Mine was still good at 170,000 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:23 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because it was a police unit and I'll bet the clutch took a beating in the city traffic. Also from what I've seen in the police bike rodeos or whatever those are called, those guys are always revving and slipping the clutch during slow speed maneuvers.

Am I close?

Regardless Cigars, if you get the photo size reduction and posting figured out, I would like to see photos of your work and perhaps some new clutch plate/old clutch plate comparison photos.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
The stack height is critical  due to the reverse torque limiter and with out having a mock up crank case it can be a little tricky getting it correct.   
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I remember seeing a single posting about replacing a clutch on a C14 due to wear.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »
I really thought mine was slipping once. It turned out that my heated gear remote that was velcroed on top of the clutch reservoir had a small lanyard that I had inadequately wrapped around the reservoir, and was in the gap between the lever and the perch/mount preventing full engagement of the clutch. It did a pretty good job of testing my clutch hydraulics for a half mile or so. It slipped just as much when I pulled over as when I first noticed it.  ::) 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
Now, if that is not proof of the awesomeness of KiPass, I do not know what is. Clearly, Marty mechanically (as opposed to emotionally) abused his clutch to the point that would have caused glazed clutch plates on ANY OTHER bike not protected by KiPass.

Brian

I really thought mine was slipping once. It turned out that my heated gear remote that was velcroed on top of the clutch reservoir had a small lanyard that I had inadequately wrapped around the reservoir, and was in the gap between the lever and the perch/mount preventing full engagement of the clutch. It did a pretty good job of testing my clutch hydraulics for a half mile or so. It slipped just as much when I pulled over as when I first noticed it.  ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
Mine sure lets out a moan sometimes. Always has I suppose.
Sometimes I launch that bike as hard as I can. Probably more often than you think.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
Sometimes I launch that bike as hard as I can. Probably more often than you think.

Are we still talking bikes here?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 04:31:16 AM »

Mine has done that a few times as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
The stack height is critical  due to the reverse torque limiter and with out having a mock up crank case it can be a little tricky getting it correct.

I'm pretty sure the friction plates (as are the ones from the C10's I've done) are extremely consistent in their thickness'
with that said, unless you find severely warped steel plates (which would have been very evident by now), simply disassembling, noting the plate locations in the stack (the steel "off size one's locations"), while soaking the frictions in an oil bath for an overnight pre soak, and reassemble all per FSM, will safely refresh the system to it's as delivered state, without requiring the tedious messing around explained in setting stack height. I cannot think there would be any issue whatsoever, when using OEM frictions only... even if you "buff" the steels lightly with a Scotchbrite' or even 400 grit wet-or-dry paper, I do stress lightly tho...

my clutch has 'groaned' when abused, since day one... It hasn't effected its job tho, I liken it to it is talking to me, saying "ohhh nooooo, not AGAIN...."  :o ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cigars

• 2011 C14 P, 97 C10 original owner, 80 XS1100,
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
I do occasionally get the groan when coming out of first gear. It's only under certain conditions like throttle and clutch release occur a bit too close. Nothing fatal yet but I just want to stay ahead of the game. Looking at the other posts here though I don't think I've got much to worry about.   Maybe I'll think about it some more in about 20k miles.  :D

I did figure out about resizing the pics for posting. I tried to couple of apps but they were a pain in the butt. Gmail let's you choose what size you want to send pics so now I just email them to myself and choose the small size. Problem solved. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
download the free version of IrfanView..
been using it since '02, and it lets you resize, and resample in "image mode", shrinking the file size substantially without any loss of quality or picture dimension.

here

https://www.irfanview.com/

it's advanced quite a bit, I'm still running verson 4.20 on my XP machines.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
And if you are running Linux, then just make sure Imagemagick is installed, go to the appropriate pictures directory and:

mogrify -scale 1280x1280  *jpg

(or whatever maximum X and Y res you want) and you are done.  :)

(Please note, that is destructive, only do that to COPIES of the originals, if you want to retain the higher res.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc