Author Topic: Hearing aids  (Read 3749 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Hearing aids
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »
Voices? Nope, never had any voices..... other than Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof of course, and all of you know they are both 100% real.

:o

Brian

But are the voices in your head still coming through loud and clear or is there now electrical interference?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 12:47:05 pm »
Yep, reading better / faster and have a better sense of smell too, although that is not always a positive thing.  ::)

Went to adjust the left one to a higher volume setting only to find out that they do not do that. The volume of both hearing aids changes together and cannot be separately adjusted by the user; to change that, they must be sent back to Colorado. There is no charge but it will take at least a week. So I looked at some of the other models I had previously looked at and it seems that that feature is one lost on all of the "low cost" (if you consider over a grand 'low cost') aids. In fact, it does not look like two grand will do it either, more like $1300 and up per ear for the nicer features. Oh well, at least those who choose the more expensive types did get something for the increase in cost.

Brian

BDF: Glad to hear that the aide's are improving your ability to read..  :P 
          If it helps you, there is hope for all of us.. <grin>

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 07:12:18 pm »
Went to adjust the left one to a higher volume setting only to find out that they do not do that. The volume of both hearing aids changes together and cannot be separately adjusted by the user; to change that, they must be sent back to Colorado. There is no charge but it will take at least a week. So I looked at some of the other models I had previously looked at and it seems that that feature is one lost on all of the "low cost" (if you consider over a grand 'low cost') aids

Did these low-cost ones not apply your custom waveform you got from the audiologist (your hearing test results graph)?   It seems even some of the cheaper ones would do that (you might not be able to do it yourself, but they might).  The custom waveform would already include the volume adjustments per ear, as well as what frequencies need boosting and how much, since each ear has a different graph.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 08:16:49 pm »
How about putting the new battery in the one that needs to be louder and moving that used battery over to the one that needs to be oem muffler loud? :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:50 pm »
Yes. These were programmed for me using my audio test results (audio-graph?). Included in the price of the more expensive types, it was $50 for the aids I have.

And yes, they may well have been programmed to conform to my hearing tests but the left ear 'seems' sluggish compared with the right ear, and the increase in hearing perception after putting them in (Easy Boys, picture a hairy, old- man's ear canal before you go off with those thoughts!) is again less with the left ear. I spoke to a tech. at the company and they can and often do adjust the relative volume of each aid (they can do that but the end- user cannot). These hearing aids also have four different programs, which I can scroll through, and when I asked the tech. which one was the custom program, he said they were all custom programmed for my ears.

Brian

Did these low-cost ones not apply your custom waveform you got from the audiologist (your hearing test results graph)?   It seems even some of the cheaper ones would do that (you might not be able to do it yourself, but they might).  The custom waveform would already include the volume adjustments per ear, as well as what frequencies need boosting and how much, since each ear has a different graph.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:22 pm »
Well, good thought but these are digital devices (DSP) and so either work or do not work with power input; they do not work 'better' or louder with newer batteries as analog types <may> have in the olden' days.

Besides, both batteries are new as of Thursday night and so still 'good'.

Brian

How about putting the new battery in the one that needs to be louder and moving that used battery over to the one that needs to be oem muffler loud? :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »
I responded to this question already but now I have a better answer.  ;) ;D

The hearing aids do NOT 'cure' my tinnitus. What they actually do is distract me from it because there are actual sounds from outside that I 'hear' (read: perceive) and so simply do not 'hear' (read: pay mental attention to) the hiss that is still there.

This is hard to articulate but if it were vision: suppose good hearing is like clear weather and you can see (hear) all the individual things out there in the world. Now tinnitus comes along and it is like the fog rolling in- even when there is nothing to see, you see something (hearing something when there is no real sound). What the hearing aids seem to be doing for me is to amplify the real things IN the fog so that they can be seen and used so you are no longer paying attention to the surrounding for. Does that make any sense at all? If I concentrate, I can still perceive the hiss in my left ear as always but when the hearings aids are in, real sounds that they provide take my attention away from the fog and lack of distinct noises and instead concentrate my conscious attention on those sounds.

To say the identical thing in a different way: with real sounds actually reaching my brain via the hearing aids, they are distracting me away from that constant, background hiss; it is still there but it no longer draws my attention toward it.

Brian

P.S. You cannot believe how loud this keyboard it! My wife has said it is irritating for years and I too have noticed this..... in the last few days. :-)

Brian, what do you mean that the Optican Ones seemed to “cure” your tinnitus?

I have mild tinnitus and it sucks.

When I ride, I wear a pair of Bose bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds.  They are incredible. They help to keep the noise down and protect my ears, albeit to a smaller degree than actual earplugs.  Plus, I can actually hear my music as opposed to my Sena, which only has average sound fidelity and does nothing for noise.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 05:14:59 pm »
The hearing aids do NOT 'cure' my tinnitus. What they actually do is distract me from it because there are actual sounds from outside that I 'hear' (read: perceive) and so simply do not 'hear' (read: pay mental attention to) the hiss that is still there.

Unfortunately for you, me, and millions of people, there is no cure for tinnitus.

The example I like to use to explain what you are saying is imagine trying to sleep in your bedroom and hearing rather loud water dripping in the sink next to your room.  Also imagine there is no way to stop it dripping and you can't do anything about it.  That is tinnitus (in some ways).  If you have some soft music playing or the white noise of fan running, that background noise will help to mask the water dripping so you don't notice it as much, "drowning it out."  But it is still dripping and dripping, forever.

What you describe with the hearing aids makes perfect sense.  You probably have "typical" hearing loss, which is in the higher frequencies.  And that is often where the tinnitus sound is too, in the higher frequencies.  Mine is a constant tone of about 13Khz (although I don't believe I have much, if any, hearing loss).  Although other people have a mix of frequencies which sounds like a hiss.  With hearing loss in the same range, there is no external sounds you hear to help mask it as effectively.  Add hearing aids can help that at lot, because it restores more distracting and masking sounds.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:03 pm »
This is what my hearing curve looks like:

Note that the left ear is considerably worse than the right ear; this is due to shooting rifles right- handed, with my left ear toward the muzzle. Back in the olden' days when I was young, stupid and 'bullet proof' (no pun intended but what 20- 30 year old thinks of old age while doing stupid things?). Oh well, I never wore eye protection either so I guess I am lucky the range damage was only done to my ears.....

13 KHz is pretty high; I doubt I can even hear anything in that freq. range anymore. 8 KHz is the highest the hearing test went and it was more than far enough, unfortunately.

Brian

Unfortunately for you, me, and millions of people, there is no cure for tinnitus.

The example I like to use to explain what you are saying is imagine trying to sleep in your bedroom and hearing rather loud water dripping in the sink next to your room.  Also imagine there is no way to stop it dripping and you can't do anything about it.  That is tinnitus (in some ways).  If you have some soft music playing or the white noise of fan running, that background noise will help to mask the water dripping so you don't notice it as much, "drowning it out."  But it is still dripping and dripping, forever.

What you describe with the hearing aids makes perfect sense.  You probably have "typical" hearing loss, which is in the higher frequencies.  And that is often where the tinnitus sound is too, in the higher frequencies.  Mine is a constant tone of about 13Khz (although I don't believe I have much, if any, hearing loss).  Although other people have a mix of frequencies which sounds like a hiss.  With hearing loss in the same range, there is no external sounds you hear to help mask it as effectively.  Add hearing aids can help that at lot, because it restores more distracting and masking sounds.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 08:45:40 pm »
This is what my hearing curve looks like:[...]13 KHz is pretty high; I doubt I can even hear anything in that freq. range anymore. 8 KHz is the highest the hearing test went and it was more than far enough, unfortunately.

Wow- that was the first thing I noticed, that the chart only goes up to 8Khz.  Seems odd they wouldn't test for a full range, from perhaps 20khz to 15Khz.

You do have a severe hearing loss in quite a wide range of upper frequencies.  I am amazed you could tolerate that for so long, the world would sound like... well, muffled mud.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2018, 09:01:37 pm »
Well, it is actually not 'severe' but moderate, according to all the audiologist data, including the one who gave me the test. There are two stages left- severe and profound.

My hearing curve looked like that almost 30 years ago though not quite so severe; most of the damage was done in my teens and 20's, with later years just being the 'icing on the cake'. By the time I was 35 or so, I was wearing ear protection in all noisy environments but again, it was too late, plus hearing loss is more hereditary than any other single factor. Both my mother and M-I-L suffered severe hearing loss without ever having been exposed to excessively (read: damaging) noisy environments.

The good news is that when people mumble at me, my brain makes up something that sounds similar to what the person said but is in fact much, much funnier. "Darkest Hour" becomes 'Doctor Sour', and "sheet ripper" becomes 'sheep dipper' and so forth. hijinx ensue. :-)

As to the high frequencies, while humans can hear a theoretical 20 KHz, it is of little actual import. Almost all of the intelligence of speech, for example, is carried below 5 KHz, actually well below 4 KHz, making the higher frequencies unimportant. No one tests above ~8 KHz, and no hearing aid devices report on amplification or total harmonic distortion above this level. In fact, the frequencies above 4 KHz are relatively unimportant for any circumstance.

Remember, "we all know" a Stradivarius is the finest, most bestus' violin ever made..... until an actual double- blind study is made, and then "we" (trained musicians) cannot pick out the Stradivarius even 50% of the time. :-)

There is a group who can hear far above the nominal limit of human response of 20 KHz but I think that is better left to the thread about nothing.....

Brian

Wow- that was the first thing I noticed, that the chart only goes up to 8Khz.  Seems odd they wouldn't test for a full range, from perhaps 20khz to 15Khz.

You do have a severe hearing loss in quite a wide range of upper frequencies.  I am amazed you could tolerate that for so long, the world would sound like... well, muffled mud.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »
That was a typo, I meant 20Hz to 15kHz

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 04:34:21 pm »
I finally send my Sonic 20 hearing aids back to the mfg. for a refund. In the end, I found that while they did amplify sound, they did not allow me to hear any better or understand some people any better than I did w/out them. And very loud noises were actually amplified to a painful level. So back they went.

The Opticon One H.A. that I 'test- heard' with for a weekend worked much better for me but again at $6,200, I just do not feel they improved my quality of life enough to justify it.

In the end, I can hear most things pretty well, and the things that I do not hear clearly (some video and my wife, mostly) can be compensated for; I can use closed captioning to read the more subtle words on TV, and what I hear when my wife speaks is hugely more amusing than what she really says anyway ("Let's watch Doctor Sour" is much funnier than "Let's watch Darkest Hour") so I have work- arounds in place.

Maybe at some point in the future, as my hearing deteriorates, the hearing aids will become a viable option but not at the moment.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 07:06:47 pm »
Won't be too long before you can get Medicare to pay for them will it?  ::)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 06:00:12 am »
Medicare won't pay for hearing aids.

Tom Taylor COG#7173