Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 23198 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:22 am »
I just got home from work, powered up the Dremel and went to town.

I'll let you know how it is, I too have risers.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:47:09 am »
Nice job sas.  I think you will notice a big difference. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:25 pm »
Nice job sas.  I think you will notice a big difference. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure

Thanks snarf,  what size are theo holes?
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 05:28:11 am »
Thanks snarf,  what size are theo holes?
They are either 1.75 or 2".  I am quite sure I used a 2" hole saw.
Have you had your bike out on the road?  What are your first impressions the shield cut down?
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure

I've not cut holes in my screen. I've not noticed any back pressure with the short screen. They may help in some ways but I've never felt the need.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline elvin315

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:40 pm »
Always check the FAQs. Your answers are there.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=966.0

Offline yoman

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:54:32 pm »
Okay, I did it. 13 inches seems to be the magic number. Cut it out of Lexan on the bandsaw, cleaned it up on the spindle sander and 600 grit to finish. The edges are not polished but have a smooth and consistent finish.

The buffet factor is minimumal and in fact seems to be less when riding in the "dirty air" behind large vehicles. Obviously there is quite a bit more wind noise but that is to be expected and possibly a benefit since I don't hear every little noise from the engine.

All in all I like it. Pics coming soon.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:52 pm »
Well I've gone on about a 90 mile cruise and all I can say is "...Why the hell didn't I do this sooner?..." I absolutely love it, no buffeting and no adverse affects either. I don't see the need as of yet to drill holes, everything feels fine for me.  Today I went to cycle gear to get some windshield trim to finish off the edges to tie it all to the bikes edging.

and while I had the dremel out I bobbed my tail.

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »
ummmm !!! I just might slice that peak down a tad.  I'm thinking about it.
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »
It is entirely possible that I put in the vent holes after I cut the lip off and before I cut it down to 13".   :loco: :loco: :loco:
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »
It is entirely possible that I put in the vent holes after I cut the lip off and before I cut it down to 13".   :loco: :loco: :loco:

I think my peak is at 15 inches.
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »
ummmm !!! I just might slice that peak down a tad.  I'm thinking about it.
Do you like the trim on your shield?  That was one on the very first thing I took off of my 02.

Gotta love the bobbed tail.  Mmmmm makes her sexy
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »
Do you like the trim on your shield? 
Yes I do I think it ties it all together.  Now I had clear trim on my GIVI screen and yanked that off, but I think the black look better on my bike, JMHO.

Cheers
Ron

Yeah I'm going to chop the peak, too.
09 Connie

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »
This weekend I think I am going to pull it off and rattle can it gloss black.

Have you thought about VHT spray window tint?  http://www.vhtpaint.com/windowtint.html
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:25 pm »
Have you thought about VHT spray window tint?  http://www.vhtpaint.com/windowtint.html
Now there is an interesting idea. Im going to contact them tomorrow and find out how/if it works on polycarbonates.
Thanks for the link
2002 Conc