Author Topic: Between a rock and a hard place  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: Between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:53 am »
Not just yet. I am definitely getting older but I am fighting it tooth and nail. I plan to do whatever I can to NOT take the leap backwards to a Goldwing. It will probably happen someday but not today.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rubber_Snake

• 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:13:03 am »
Good luck with the bars, Dez.  I’m sure they’ll make a world of difference.  They are a little tough to install, mainly because of the hydraulic line extenders, but worth it. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Symtec heat demon grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »
i have bad arthritis in my right thumb from an old fracture and surgical repair. i use a simple throttle paddle on all four bikes. cramp buster or variation.

I have tried one of those and for some reason it just scares the crap out of me.  I feel out of control.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Gents. I replied to a post yesterday about some Helibars for sale here on the forum, haven't heard back yet.

Horizons?  Helibars is just a company that makes lots of risers and accessories...

I am going to opt for the Rosta cruise control and one way or another

You are braver than I am :)  I would want it, but too chicken to try and install it myself.

I've been running 2 Cramp Busters on my bikes for the last 5 years or so, they helped for a while no longer help enough.

Did you have problems with accidental throttle activation using them?  Especially in a panic?

A lifetime of hardcore, blue collar, 10 hour days has caught up with me in a large way.

For me it is a lifetime of hardcore, white collar (computer/keyboard/mouse/phone/desk) crap.  So it can catch you in many different ways.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 03:33:40 pm »
Take a deep breath, step back and look into the future a bit. Then go buy the Goldwing and be happy and comfortable as you can continue to ride for much longer distance and years.

Stock, the Goldwing isn't necessarily going to be any better with bar ergonomics than the C14.  It will just have built-in cruise control and quite possibly some less vibration.  But I have also found that no only does the C14 not have much vibration, that doesn't seem to be anywhere near the problem of hand positioning.

Pretty big investment to put cc and helibars on the C14 and possibly get limited (lasting) results.

Horizons, presumably.

And it will cost a whole lot less than a Goldwing, especially if new (and taxes, and insurance, and, and).

I am not saying it is a better choice for everyone, but modifying an existing bike that you already own and like isn't a horrible choice... especially if it is just a few grand.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Horizons are enroute. Is any one source for a Rosta cruise better than others or is it simply search the web for the best deal? I'm not concerned about the actual installation of the Rosta unit, it's really more about making the time to do it. One thing leads to another and the next thing I know my bike has been apart for months. It's not that it needs that much work, in my world, whatever come up is more pressing than what I'm currently doing.   :-\

Never had a problem with the Cramp Busters, like I mentioned previously, I've used them for years.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
And by the way, thanks for the feedback.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:28 am »
Hey, this is how it is supposed to work, right? We 'gather' here for help, knowledge and mutual (and hopefully amusing) harassment. Everyone knows something that the next guy does not, and sharing this info. is the easiest way to proceed without having to try everything and newly- learn everything.

Brian

And by the way, thanks for the feedback.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 10:03:48 am »
You can buy them from Murph's, who is an excellent vendor. You can also do a general search if shopping by price.

One thing I would caution you about though: there are two different types of switch from and for the Rostra: one uses klixon switches the other uses conductive buttons and a PC board. The klixon switches will corrode and fail. The PC type can be covered in grease and will last for many years, the klixon switches have not lasted over about 1 1/2 years for me although I do ride in the rain as required (on trips, rallys, riding IBA events, etc.). I always suggest buying a switch that has an 'engaged' light, and it might be worth a call to Rostra to find out what switches are of which type before buying the unit, and then get the actual CC either with the switch you want, or buy it without any switch and buy the one you want separately.

Brian

Horizons are enroute. Is any one source for a Rosta cruise better than others or is it simply search the web for the best deal? I'm not concerned about the actual installation of the Rosta unit, it's really more about making the time to do it. One thing leads to another and the next thing I know my bike has been apart for months. It's not that it needs that much work, in my world, whatever come up is more pressing than what I'm currently doing.   :-\

Never had a problem with the Cramp Busters, like I mentioned previously, I've used them for years.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
Good thread title: the rock could be one bone and the hard place an adjacent bone, with less between them than used to be.