Author Topic: To pellet grill or not to pellet grill...That is the question.  (Read 892 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: To pellet grill or not to pellet grill...That is the question.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 06:47:09 pm »
Is this useless if the power goes out?
Nope. Got a generator. LOL
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:33 pm »
Could it be converted to a 12v fan?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:59 am »
Not in any practical way for the ones that have igniters (self start the pellets) because they consume too much power. For the basic running of the grill / smoker, a 12 volt power source such as a car battery and an 115 V AC inverter would <probably> work for the controller and the auger and fan that fire the pellets. But honestly I doubt it is really practical, especially considering the long hours of use when smoking.

For other types of outside cooking during a power failure, unless one does have and use a generator already for hours, a propane grill probably makes more sense.

Brian

Could it be converted to a 12v fan?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09:51 am »
Assuming your question is sincere (might be joking -- I wouldn't know) open flame fires aren't conducive to smoking or  grilling either, as the "fire" is inconsistently hot. Coals are what is needed; these provide the direct heat you're looking for.

And when you're smoking meat, you want it low and slow. I keep my Weber Smoky Mountain smoker at around 200 deg. F., and I've had a pork shoulder in the thing for up to 14 hours. Yields a good quarter inch of bark, and smoky flavor throughout the meat.

I hear you Eupher, what I meant was cooking it with an open top, not closed up.  In the RSA, we burn wood that turns to coals (obviously), but we don't put a lid on it. We throw a piece of expanded metal over the coals, and prepare the meat like that.

Smoking the meat is a different story all together....     We also don't smoke the meat that often here, although I like making warthog sausages with cheese, and preparing them in a hot smoker. I've built a hot smoker just for that our of a 45Gal. drum, using charcoal as the heat source.

Did this quiite a whuile back, but here is the link again on "how to braai".

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18000.0;attach=26628
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2008 GTR 1400
2013 Honda XR650L

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:53 pm »
Update...Just brought home a Smoke Pro DLX.
Now looking for your fool-proof smokin’ recommendations.
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.