Author Topic: My mpg with mccruise  (Read 641 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: My mpg with mccruise
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 07:48:20 am »
800 miles is a casual day for some of us. I'm looking forward to having cruise control, but certainly not for the fuel economy. I'm still working on an auxiliary fuel tank so I can do "in flight refueling". I want to be able to stop for fuel when I want to, not when I HAVE to.

I enjoy new roads, not the same old stuff every time I ride. I want to see it all. The whole country. There are a lot of desolate miles between Phoenix and Telluride, why not set the cruise control and eat up those miles. There is some great riding in SoCal. Not much peg scraping on I-10 getting there. I want to ried The Tail of the Dragon, from here to there is a couple of thousand miles. I foresee 2 days of grinding it out on the interstates. Cruise will make that adventure much more enjoyable, but it sure as hell won't be at the posted speed limit. ;D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 08:34:14 am »
I didn’t get cc for better mpg but since it gives me better mpg and allows me to go longer between fillups, I can’t help but praise it.
I went on a cruise with wife to Alaska last month, at the airport waiting to go to FL for another cruise.
Yet, my favorite vacations consist of long days on my bike, staying at crappy motels that are close walking distance to brew pubs- that’s just me.
I’m 54, but arthritis in my hands sucks and man, cc really helped a ton last week.
Eventually , I’ll have to move on to goldwing and when my body can’t take that, I’ll move on to a Buick.
And, for a lot of us, there are times when we don’t want ride aggressively like we are in a race. I’m talking about some of us that have ridden in 100+ temps for six hours and don’t want to wreck after some road fatigue. Or, traveling down the Oregon coast or old  redwood 101 highway where you might actually ride a little under the speed limit because damn , it’s so beautiful and you want to soak it. I’m sure there are some leaf peeper c14 owners on the east coast guilty as charged of this.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:10:13 am »
800 miles is a casual day for some of us.

Again, that's redonkulous.

For perspective, for a few years I used to drive a car from Gainesville FL to Jackson MS about once a a month: 600 miles door-to-door, and I always set my cruise at 78 mph. With gas and food stops, it took me 9 hours every time, +/- just a few minutes. So my actual average was 66.7 mph. At that pace your 800 miles would take 12 hours total. On one hand you could skip the quick Mickey D's meal stop (and either go hungry ... or eat while riding :o ), but on the other hand you're surely making more fuel stops than me in my car. So you're either spending ~12 nearly all consecutive hours on the bike, spending even more than 12 hours traveling by bike in a day, or you're traveling faster ... and I dunno how much faster than 78 you can consistently travel without getting tickets. (and tickets take time, too). Nothing about this seems casual. I didn't feel like my 600-mile 9-hr trip in a comfortable car was casual. But I suppose casual is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
Again, that's redonkulous.

For perspective, for a few years I used to drive a car from Gainesville FL to Jackson MS about once a a month: 600 miles door-to-door, and I always set my cruise at 78 mph. With gas and food stops, it took me 9 hours every time, +/- just a few minutes. So my actual average was 66.7 mph. At that pace your 800 miles would take 12 hours total. On one hand you could skip the quick Mickey D's meal stop (and either go hungry ... or eat while riding :o ), but on the other hand you're surely making more fuel stops than me in my car. So you're either spending ~12 nearly all consecutive hours on the bike, spending even more than 12 hours traveling by bike in a day, or you're traveling faster ... and I dunno how much faster than 78 you can consistently travel without getting tickets. (and tickets take time, too). Nothing about this seems casual. I didn't feel like my 600-mile 9-hr trip in a comfortable car was casual. But I suppose casual is in the eye of the beholder.

I do it because I enjoy it. I don't average 80, because if I did, I would spend more time stopped for tickets, and spend more on fines than fuel. Some people enjoy long distance riding, some don't.

I did several Branson, Mo to Pittsburgh rides in one day as well. Door to door was 900 miles, and rode straight through. I have also done Miami to Pittsburgh straight through, about 1200 miles.

Many people ride like this, and enjoy it. Perhaps you have never heard of the Iron Butt.  I also rode my RC51 like that when I could. I rode it from Pittsburgh to Iowa nonstop as well.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:00 pm »
I find CC is a big benefit when riding a long time, otherwise I just cannot sleep as well without gaining or losing speed.

I like and use CC all the time on motorcycles and not limited to the slab either; I often use it when riding secondary roads in the southern part of the state during the summer (tourist / vacation times) because the LEOs get pretty thick and have a lot less tolerance, or so it seems.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 02:33:01 pm »
I do it because I enjoy it. I don't average 80, because if I did, I would spend more time stopped for tickets, and spend more on fines than fuel. Some people enjoy long distance riding, some don't.

I did several Branson, Mo to Pittsburgh rides in one day as well. Door to door was 900 miles, and rode straight through. I have also done Miami to Pittsburgh straight through, about 1200 miles.

Many people ride like this, and enjoy it. Perhaps you have never heard of the Iron Butt.  I also rode my RC51 like that when I could. I rode it from Pittsburgh to Iowa nonstop as well.

You and Deziner are coo coo loco then  :thumbs:

I texted my riding buddy (~50 years old, thin and in apparent good shape) who rides an FJR as full time transport as to whether 800 mile days are casual. He said 500/day is comfortable/casual for him. And, "800/day would be pushing it for me unless it's all interstate, which is still a lot of boring miles, no fun and brutal on the body." Then settled on 600/day max for him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:33:55 pm by Conniesaki »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:40 pm »
I am significantly older than 50, work out every day, and still work at least 70 hours per week. I work hard and play hard.

As a rule, I don't throw a leg over my motorcycle unless I'm going to cross a state line. I live outside of Phoenix and riding to LA or Vegas is just barely enough saddle time to clear my head. I generally don't start to unwind until I am well into my second tank of fuel.

I have always enjoyed knocking out miles. Fort Campbell to Pittsburgh was nothing when I was in my 20's. In my 30's I'd leave after work and ride 500 miles to Albuquerque on Friday and come back on Sunday. On a cast iron Sportster. (I was tough then.) I simply love being on the road. I still enjoy Phoenix to the East coast and back in 4 days in a pick up truck. Some of us are just that way.

However, it is true that very few want to ride me. But that's ok too, I prefer to go it alone. Solitude works for me. I would much rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about Good than be in church thinking about riding my motorcycle.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 02:36:41 pm »
I am significantly older than 50, work out every day, and still work at least 70 hours per week. I work hard and play hard.

As a rule, I don't throw a leg over my motorcycle unless I'm going to cross a state line. I live outside of Phoenix and riding to LA or Vegas is just barely enough saddle time to clear my head. I generally don't start to unwind until I am well into my second tank of fuel.

I have always enjoyed knocking out miles. Fort Campbell to Pittsburgh was nothing when I was in my 20's. In my 30's I'd leave after work and ride 500 miles to Albuquerque on Friday and come back on Sunday. On a cast iron Sportster. (I was tough then.) I simply love being on the road. I still enjoy Phoenix to the East coast and back in 4 days in a pick up truck. Some of us are just that way.

However, it is true that very few want to ride me. But that's ok too, I prefer to go it alone. Solitude works for me. I would much rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about Good than be in church thinking about riding my motorcycle.

Well I repeat, you are loco.

And I'm sorry noone wants to ride you.

:P

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 06:33:12 pm »

Still got the iron sporty?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 06:47:38 pm »
Nope, it went away a long time ago. Now in addition to the C14, I have an '85 FXWG with a 4 speed and a kicker and a later model 74 inch Evo Sportster