Author Topic: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing at the dealer, today  (Read 1120 times)

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing at the dealer, today
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:19 am »
I think the only drawback to the new wing is the lack of Android support. All the other features seem improved over the old wing except
storage. Still it would be rough spending over $25,000-$30,000 and looking at all that useless apple $tuff on the dash and your android phone on the handlebar holder.

When my warranty expires and the first expensive maintenance bill is at hand, my C14 may be replaced by a new/slightly used wing. It would be nice  to be able to simply walk back out  of a downhill parking spot (with reverse) when I'm in my 70s.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 11:12:03 am »
I think the only drawback to the new wing is the lack of Android support. All the other features seem improved over the old wing except
storage. Still it would be rough spending over $25,000-$30,000 and looking at all that useless apple $tuff on the dash and your android phone on the handlebar holder.

When my warranty expires and the first expensive maintenance bill is at hand, my C14 may be replaced by a new/slightly used wing. It would be nice  to be able to simply walk back out  of a downhill parking spot (with reverse) when I'm in my 70s.
You just reminded me of something. When I had that crash a while back, my phone was in a RAM X Mount. It was flung across the highway. Luckily, it is an Active model of the Samsung Galaxy S7, and it's fine. The point being, I think I'll be carrying my phone in my jacket pocket from now on. I wasn't really in a situation where my phone would have been any help, but if I'd had a single vehicle crash in a rural area, and needed my phone, it would have been tough to find.

The Apple Car Play thing. I'd consider getting an old Ipad for using with it. Hundreds of them on Ebay.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 12:15:06 pm »
You just reminded me of something. When I had that crash a while back, my phone was in a RAM X Mount. It was flung across the highway. Luckily, it is an Active model of the Samsung Galaxy S7, and it's fine.
Did you have one of those rubber band thingys on it, or just the X-mount?

https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-Security-Support-00-90001-00/dp/B014GW7KJ6

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 12:25:35 pm »
Did you have one of those rubber band thingys on it, or just the X-mount?

https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-Security-Support-00-90001-00/dp/B014GW7KJ6
Just the X mount, but the handlebar was torn off. LOL. Grippy thing wouldn't have helped. The doc thinks, that because of the bruising and soreness in my left palm, that I tore the handlebar off!
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 05:42:50 pm »
Just the X mount, but the handlebar was torn off. LOL. Grippy thing wouldn't have helped. The doc thinks, that because of the bruising and soreness in my left palm, that I tore the handlebar off!

:o .....And people wonder why we don't recommend tying the c14 down with the handle bars.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:13 pm »
How about you in the pilot seat? I've not sat on the wing so I have no hands on experience.

This is somewhat of a rider height issue, the seat it self is a good design. The engine allows a lower seat, but if you are too tall your knees will be higher than your butt and this puts all your weight on your "sitz bones". I am 5' 11" and I found I needed a rest about every 2 hours. I bought a foam/gel pad that both puts me up a little higher and takes of most of the "sitz bones" soreness away and makes the bike comfortable for about as many hours as I care to ride at one time. I have been looking for peg lowering options but I think that just turns the problem into a peg dragging issue (since I haven't found any acceptable ones). After about 6' 0" to 6' 1" you probably will not have the issue.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:22 am »
Thanks. That's what I was seeing in the picture.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 07:51:28 am »
I took the plunge and bought a new Wing Tour.  My wife is very happy, loves the seat and she has more room.  The Wing is a sportish-Tourbike.  Compared to the C-14 it is much slower but faster than machines from Milwaukee and all other V twins.  It handles sweeping turns well, it doesn't do well on twisty left rights.  The suspension is plush at speed limit and is fine until you get to about 10 MPH over then you find out its much worse than the stock C14.  Cruise control on the Wing is perfect and I didn't have to spend hours and hours gaffing one on the bike.  The electronics are interesting some will like them, some (mainly gadget geeks) will find them lacking.  Basically a pleasant machine suitable for purposes that most C-14 owners find unimportant.  I will either keep my C-14 or get a Super Duke for solo riding.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 09:32:08 am »
I took the plunge and bought a new Wing Tour.  My wife is very happy, loves the seat and she has more room.  The Wing is a sportish-Tourbike.  Compared to the C-14 it is much slower but faster than machines from Milwaukee and all other V twins.  It handles sweeping turns well, it doesn't do well on twisty left rights.  The suspension is plush at speed limit and is fine until you get to about 10 MPH over then you find out its much worse than the stock C14.  Cruise control on the Wing is perfect and I didn't have to spend hours and hours gaffing one on the bike.  The electronics are interesting some will like them, some (mainly gadget geeks) will find them lacking.  Basically a pleasant machine suitable for purposes that most C-14 owners find unimportant.  I will either keep my C-14 or get a Super Duke for solo riding.
Cool! Thanks so much for Your input!