Author Topic: Cracked frame at shock  (Read 2474 times)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Cracked frame at shock
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 05:01:31 pm »
it probably got whacked hard on a curb or something[...]tough to predict when it occurred, but I'd bet it's the reason it got sold...

My thoughts, too.  I don't believe that is any type of fault of Kawasaki (not warranty covered).  I hope that is a reputable dealer, it is likely to get really messy...
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline jwh20

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:20:45 pm »
Unfortunately there no really no way to repair that.  The only fix that I can imagine here is a frame replacement which is a big and expensive job.  Hoping your dealer is able to help out.  One possibility might be an appeal to the Kawasaki Factory if there is any evidence that this is defect-related vs. having been caused by some impact or other careless handling of the bike.

Good luck!

Offline Dreedo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »
Update. Local service manager had never seen anything like it. The underside shows no signs of impact, which I already knew, so he said he would send pics to Kawasaki to see if they would make it right as my warranty went out this last April. The other side has an open crack about 3 to 4 inches long. Will wait and see what they do. Thanks for the input.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 09:56:31 am »
Sure hope they make you whole. Otherwise that's going to be one expensive parts bike.  :'(

Offline tonedeaf2

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 09:20:44 pm »
Can't even begin to think of what might have happened. Sure doesn't look like something resulting from a typical accident. If it is a defective part, it is defective beyond anything I have seen. I wonder if it is possible to trace some of the major parts and see if they are original.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 06:18:12 am »
One could always look in the same area on their bike and see if there's any cracking of the welds.  I'd do mine but getting on the floor these days and then trying to get back up (easy boys) can be difficult.  How about some of you whipper snappers do that and report back?
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 01:03:42 pm »
I'm hardly a whippersnapper but I did just that when I saw the first post. No sign of cracks or signs of stress. Just puzzlement as to how the pictured damage could have occured.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »
 :)   You know, there was a redesign for the Gen 2s on the oil pan plug.  I wonder if something changed in the center stand area?  I'd knock my oil pan plug off with a knock on the bottom area.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:21:54 pm by VirginiaJim »
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 04:46:08 pm »
If I were MamaKaw I would give you a new bike in exchange for all photos being removed from the internet!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 07:52:16 pm »
:)   You know, there was a redesign for the Gen 2s on the oil pan plug.  I wonder if something changed in the center stand area?  I'd knock my oil pan plug off with a knock on the bottom area.
The oil plug cover on my first 08 WAS knocked off by an impact that also ground off a third of thr plug bolt head. I'd like to see a pic of the crack on the other side. Might gives a clue.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 04:05:04 pm »
It could be a bad casting. It happens sometimes with cast aluminum. That is probably why the dealer is sending it to Kawasaki.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 09:08:53 am »
Hey Dreedo, please keep us informed as to what Kawasaki does. Thank you.

Offline Dreedo

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »
Good news! Kawasaki is going to replace the frame at no expense to me. They said that the frame failure couldn't have been caused by anything a rider could've done on the bike. No signs of any impacts. Local service department has ordered the replacement frame and I should be back on the road in about 3 weeks. Kawasaki did what was right but didn't have to since technically my warranty went out in April 2018. Good to know there are companies that still stand by their products. Also through all this I've realized that just checking tire pressures, oil levels and other common maintenance items is not always enough when you are dependent on two wheels for motoring down the highway.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 04:54:35 pm »
That is shocking and yet also fantastic news.  Replacing the frame is a *major* expense and will mean taking apart most of the bike and putting it back together again.  So there are risks (that the dealer doesn't do it right or misses something or breaks something else in the long complicated process).

Wow

Wow that the dealer was so cooperative.
Wow that it was deemed a defect.
Wow that Kawasaki will go to that length to repair it.
Wow that Kawasaki will cover it out of warranty.
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 06:21:46 pm »
They probably want it back so they can analyze it to figure out what went wrong.

The cynical would say maybe to get it out of public view but with a manufacturing background which includes working for a Japanese manufacturer I'm betting on the analysis. I'm sure there a lot of folks over there going, "WTF!?!? I want see that frame!