Author Topic: Cracked frame at shock  (Read 26654 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Cracked frame at shock
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2018, 08:11:04 AM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
I rang...celestial stuff.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:13 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:52 AM »
I rang...celestial stuff.

As in heavenly bodies?    :P

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
That would be correct although not what you were thinking..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
That would be correct although not what you were thinking..

'were thinking'? As in past tense?  ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
Slowly I turn...

Offline katata1100

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Please post how many hours the shop needs to replace that frame. Back in the days when I was a claims adjuster, we were told to total any bike with a bad frame .

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 05:45:05 AM »
Please post how many hours the shop needs to replace that frame. Back in the days when I was a claims adjuster, we were told to total any bike with a bad frame .

Exactly.  Even with reasonable labor cost, this has to be a controlled, supervised examination and not just a repair.   The scrapped parts, alone, on an otherwise extremely good condition bike could pay for a replacement.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 06:38:57 AM »

Offline PH14

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »

True, but this isn't an insurance claim.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
I’m aware it’s not an insurance claim. I’m just curious because I can’t think of a more labor intensive thing to do to this bike than swap out a frame.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
I can’t think of a more labor intensive thing to do to this bike than swap out a frame.

Complete engine rebuild AND swap out the frame :)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
To get real, swapping out a frame is no biggie. If you do it right, it comes apart in some big chunks. You don't fully disassemble the thing. Cut some zip ties and it's about 4 bolts. Like a Bug. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »
To get real, swapping out a frame is no biggie. If you do it right, it comes apart in some big chunks. You don't fully disassemble the thing. Cut some zip ties and it's about 4 bolts. Like a Bug. 8)

To be fair, it is a lot more than just 4 bolts.  First you have to take off considerable plastics.  That alone will be a chore.  There are all the engine mounts, all the suspension mountings, and all the stuff that you have to remove to get to the frame and have the frame clear the work space.  I don't know the exact procedure on a C14, but I would have to guess it is pretty major.

I love this photo:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

dude....

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/8-ways-to-counteract-a-too-intense-cannabis-high

now, get higher, and watch TV...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cuda

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
WWHHOO''SS got the ACID :pukeface: :yikes:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline katata1100

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
Taking all the stuff off the old frame shouldn’t be that bad. But the classic auto repair manual line “assembly is the reverse of disassembly” is tough. Lots of wiring looms to transfer too.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »

No problem! I can take apart almost anything!  :finger_fing11:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
No problem! I can take apart almost anything!  :finger_fing11:

Now, putting it back together.... and correctly....