Author Topic: Harbor Freight Horns and install...  (Read 860 times)

Offline shredran

Re: Harbor Freight Horns and install...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:37 pm »
Gabriel, I bought a pair of these today per your video! After purchasing though I realized I might not be able to put mine where yours are :(, because I installed LED Pathfinder headlights, which have a module that gets 3m tape'd to the BOTTOM of the piece you removed to to the install of the horns. Can you watch this quick video and see what I mean, then tell me if U think I'll still have room to put the horns there? Skip to 4:20 and see what I mean--the module for headlights get stuck to underside of towel flange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeEU0PyCtc  and let me know your thoughts! Seems like an amazing mod.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 10:56:03 pm »
Gabriel, I bought a pair of these today per your video! After purchasing though I realized I might not be able to put mine where yours are :(, because I installed LED Pathfinder headlights, which have a module that gets 3m tape'd to the BOTTOM of the piece you removed to to the install of the horns. Can you watch this quick video and see what I mean, then tell me if U think I'll still have room to put the horns there? Skip to 4:20 and see what I mean--the module for headlights get stuck to underside of towel flange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeEU0PyCtc  and let me know your thoughts! Seems like an amazing mod.

It hard to tell exactly how large that driver is but I would think you would have enough room to to make it all fit.
Since you are not modifying the bike in any way there is no risk in trying...
Note; There are led's that don't use a driver and allow you to use the factory boot should you ever need to change.

Offline shredran

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 02:39:37 pm »
That's good info to have! Wish I had it at time I bought these LEDS lol! I happened to be across the street from a harbor freight yesterday when I saw your post and quickly went and bought the horns. Cpl follow ups:

1.) Do they work in conjunction with the stock horn? Or do they completely replace the stocker?

2.) "I will replace the relay mount bolt with a shorter 5mm bolt. (Yeah, it's too long)"----Any idea what length I should get?

3.) I'm not as knowledgeable as you are in this but, but I'm guessing your comment of, "Wiring is straight forward with a 10 amp fuse and inline holder near the battery. That plastic looking stand off is a piece of delrin." means I'll need one of these: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/bussmann-by-eaton/bk-hht/70150687/?&mkwid=s44jGetPk&pcrid=30980760979&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-esCIxVyBI5v5bSoSIpXQJaQexBHew-_a5kMQrBk8wqDOKYCSTwh2GRoCVxEQAvD_BwE     AND will obviously need the fuse which I have already. If that's correct, where exactly does the horn relay area / fuse area need to be accessed from? Is it the fusebox underneath the seat? I just haven't tapped into anything there--the only mods I've done involved using the provided accessory ports on the bike and that was easy enough to crimp and splice into for other accessories.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can offer me!

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 04:58:09 pm »

Use this type of fuse holder;It's waterproof and you can get these in both the small spade fuse or the large. (your choice)

You use the wire from the oem horn, it's long enough to reach the area shown.
The wiring diagram that is included with the horns is what you go by.
The oem horn wires trigger the relay only. (get a test light and determin which is positive when you push the horn button.
You connect the fuse to your battery positive post (one side of the fuse holder connects to the positive battery terminal and the other connects to a length of of minimum 16 gauge wire) the other end connects to the "30" terminal of the relay. Just pull the battery cover off and fish the wire through, no need to remove anything else. (keep it neat and use tie wraps if needed) Just make sure the fuse is located close to the battery and not the horn end.
Supply the ground from the relay to the location shown in my picture "Right here" or any bolt on that bracket.
I don't know what length of bolt to use but it's not important as long as it's adequate.
These relays are not waterproof so mount it in the fashion which I did and you will never have an issue.
Any other questions just ask, no need to include any quotes...

Offline shredran

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:33 pm »
Thanks so much Gabriel, I’ll take a stab at this ASAP! I should be fine considering I’ve done the valves on this bike and didn’t F anything up....just dont have a ton of experience in the realm of electrical work! I’m REALLY dreading doing steering stem bearing maintenance one day tho. I’m on an 09’ w/ ABS and about 30k miles.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 03:56:02 pm »
Thanks so much Gabriel, I’ll take a stab at this ASAP! I should be fine considering I’ve done the valves on this bike and didn’t F anything up....just dont have a ton of experience in the realm of electrical work! I’m REALLY dreading doing steering stem bearing maintenance one day tho. I’m on an 09’ w/ ABS and about 30k miles.
Be sure and report back...