Author Topic: Cafe Build of a C10  (Read 2108 times)

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
    • Things that keep me busy
Re: Cafe Build of a C10
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:43 am »
I like that look. It looks more balanced. And the seat looks more like a motorcycle seat. Mine looks like a bicycle seat.   The foam in the seat has been trimmed down. That makes it low enough I can hold it upright without tipping over. But still I need to stand on the balls of my feet.  I have a lowering kit still in a box that I was going to use on my other Connie but if in the end, if I like this bike better I will use the lowering links on this bike and sell the other. 

Just for fun I ordered a Cafe Racer seat from China just to see how it would look. It was only $30 son no big loss if I throw it away.

My tag, tail lights and turn signals are attached to an angle iron and that is welded to two pieces of pipe that slide into the back of the frame like a trombone. I have about 9 inches that I can experiment with.  To hold it in place I use the same bolts that hold the seat down. 

But seriously it looks weird. I know I am going to rework the tail end but I don't want to start anything until the side covers I ordered arrive. I liked the photo that MOB posted a few days ago. Naked but not completely. I liked that color too.

For mufflers I'm going to stick with what I got until I am convinced the bike is going to be a keeper.  Its been a depressing year but I am starting to enjoy this again.

Keep posting so I can copy what you're doing.. :thumbs:
2 Connies, 2 Magnas, 1 Yamaha Vstar 950 Touring.
https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures

Offline sport rider

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 07:32:26 am »
here's a couple of how I framed in the back end.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 07:51:22 am »
Here's the results of my progress yesterday.  I asked a friend of mine to help me bend some tube to make the rounded back end so I could start thinking about the hump design.  he shot me an address and said he was heading that way to turn the heat on.  When I arrived, he was there but also a surprise guest.  The shop he told me to meet him at belongs to Ron Hornaday Jr.  Yep...the NASCAR Ron Hornaday Jr.  I was surprised to put it mildly.   Ron took a break from a racing frame that he was putting together and we all pretty much tore into my bike.  Ideas were flowing and at the end of the day, the picture is the result.  We were actually there for about 8 hours.  I keep pinching myself that I had all this great help!

Ron had some cheap rattle can paint sitting around his shop.  So we put a quick coat of black on the frame parts and he decided the gold on the rear cowl would match the tank.  well....almost.  :D

BTW....his shop?  about a 40 x 60 building.  early 70s dodge charger was up on a lift under a tarp.  below that was a modded frame from a Chevy Luv.  Beside that was a dirt late model track car up on a lift as well.  Then there was the body of the Chevy Luv that he's working on.  Next to that was his frame station which had an almost complete racing frame on it.  To the left coming around the shop were two other dirt track cars under covers.  one he was rebuilding for another driver, and one which is his son-in-law's who races regularly (it's off season, of course).

there's still a bit to do, but we've got everything roughed in.  Ron said to bring it back when I get closer to the finished product and we'd make some better parts, particularly the fender protection underneath.

#cloudnine

:banana

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:39 am »
Info on headers; I used these for about 3 years before giving them to Dave for his build.
Head pipes were Frankensteined from a set of Suzuki aftermarket headers and are made of SS.
 Head pipes are too big, so {in an attempt to gain low end} I machined SS anti-reversion venturi's for each head pipe.

The reason the pipes are wrapped is to cover the "Frankensteining", and because the tubing is very thin and big.
   Radiates a lot of heat, and is extremely close to fan and lower water lines.
    {The wrap was an attempt to reduce heat in those area's a bit}

No HP loss; Bike produced 94 peak HP on my dyno after the install. {2 HP over stock}
     Not much HP gain, but it had a nice smooth plot.
      As you might imagine, it lost some low end torque..

Muffler is a modified Kerker.
    Changed mounts and name tag to convert it from right side to left, and installed diverters inside to quieten it a bit.
    Was installed on the left vs right as I felt that it looked better on the left {and I wanted to be different}.
     NOTE: Dave moved the muffler up to this location for looks on this bike.
                Was in stock location when I had it. I like his idea.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:28:34 am by connie_rider »

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08:46 am »
What? "my dyno"!....You got a dyno? I'm jealous now. Let me see, ok?   I want one.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 10:14:29 am »
I bought it at an auction, and later sold it.
Steve Sefsick now owns it, and {by working with Dynojet} has greatly improved it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 12:57:07 pm »
WOOOOOHOOOOOOO...
That's soooo cool....
I think I know where that gold paint came from.... you gonna have him sign his number on that tail section???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 01:35:07 pm »
I hadn't thought of that.  maybe after paint I'll have him autograph the back and clear it.  This one went from a project build to a sentimental keepsake. :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 03:33:16 pm »
SERIOUSLY SO..... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :hail: :banana :banana

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 11:47:41 am »
what do you think of the color?  :)

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 12:17:58 pm »
I really like it. Good choice, Nice and bright. 

Looks ready to ride.

Mine is still hiding in the garage and has not seen sunshine in a long time.

OOPs! I take that back. I just noticed the carbs are missing. But you got the airbox installed. I think it looks much better with an airbox.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »
I happened to have a can of duplicolor to match the 05 color of the tank, so I sprayed the front and back to match.  this isn't the final color, but will be fine to get it running and rolling.  paint can come later. 

yeah, carbs are off.  waiting to hear from Steve to get them sent to him for cleaning.  I got the turn signals for the back.  still have the brake light to install. just license plate bracket, mirrors, and decent tires to get it on the road.

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 04:25:11 pm »
My brake light, license plate bracket was all in one. If you haven't already bought one have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW5P3HB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your getting close....

I am postponing adding any length to the frame until I know what the seat is going to be. I am waiting for that cafe- seat to arrive from china to see if I am going to use it or not. 

Got it started again today. It's been really rough starting in the cold weather.  I've got a new problem with backfiring on the right side. Wasn't doing that last time I started it.
I think you are going to be on the road long before me.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2019, 09:23:39 pm »
It’s looking great.  That seam at the bottom of the gas tank bugs me, though.  It reminds me that there used to be bodywork on the bike.  I wonder if it were painted black, if that would hide it better?  You could test fit with electrical tape to get a visual before painting.  Just a thought.  Keep up the good work!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 11:53:51 am »
My brake light, license plate bracket was all in one. If you haven't already bought one have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW5P3HB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your getting close....

I am postponing adding any length to the frame until I know what the seat is going to be. I am waiting for that cafe- seat to arrive from china to see if I am going to use it or not. 

Got it started again today. It's been really rough starting in the cold weather.  I've got a new problem with backfiring on the right side. Wasn't doing that last time I started it.
I think you are going to be on the road long before me.

I ordered this for the brake light.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Cafe-Racer-Flush-Mount-LED-Stop-Brake-Tail-Light-Smoked-Lens-SAE-DOT/183720182349?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

plan to put it along the line of the rear frame on the back.  I also got some license plate bolts that are LED lighted for the plate light.  That and a very little bit of bracket fabrication should get me finished with the rear end.