Author Topic: Windshield deflector  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Re: Windshield deflector
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 03:51:49 pm »
The issue isn't that you can tell now that it hurts something, but that over time the accumulated stress could cause cracks/fractures/distortions/wear/weaknesses that will eventually cause a slow or catastrophic failure in the bracket(s).  Although far from common, we have seen such failures posted.  Yet we have no direct evidence as to the exact cause (could be a flaw in the part, or accumulated stress, or something the owner did), it is reasonable to speculate that it is more likely with lifetime stress/vibration, and/or with heavier/larger screens, and/or with higher (raised) operation.  Like most things on modern vehicles, it was designed with certain operational parameters in mind and might not have a lot of leeway for adding additional stresses.

Failure is expensive because the part(s) is/are expensive.

I did some research into this and it looks like the part that brakes is the cast lower mounting bracket.
I'm going to make an attempt to reinforce that part with carbon fiber. A lay up of carbon Kevlar and epoxy, I'll post it up when it's done. i'm waiting for the material plus I need to look at the part and see whats feasible... more to come...