Author Topic: Looking for a project bike.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Looking for a project bike.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 08:17:18 am »
Looks like it's starting to come together.
Like the nekkid look and the bars/headlight/blinkers...

Tried to see what is lowered in the rear and can't see.
 Assuming it has a lowering rocker?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
    • Things that keep me busy
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2019, 06:30:32 pm »
Wasted a whole day trying to trace the wiring for the turn signals and the horn.  When the key is on one side of the horn goes to +12v. When I push the horn button I get a single squeak and then nothing. I think the ground is loose or dirty. I can see the negative side of the horn go low but it does not go all the way to ground.  And if i measure continuity between the horn button and ground I get a couple ohms. Not ground like I expect it to be.  Still don't know where the ground for the horn comes from.
2 Connies, 2 Magnas, 1 Yamaha Vstar 950 Touring.
https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 02:58:31 pm »
Discovered why nothing electrical is working.
I removed some electrical tape on a harness buried in the front end. Found 10 wires cut off.
 God what was he thinking. I guess he never intended to put lights of any kind on the front.

Dont know if it worth patching this all back together or just make a new harness to suit my lights.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 07:54:14 am »
probably better off buying a used harnass.  I hate electrical!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 08:37:50 am »
Prolly easiest to get a harness, if you can find one for that year/period.
I think this is an 87? If so, their wired a bit different than later years.
I think 86-90 would be ok.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 01:13:14 pm »
Its a 1986 model. It has this weird black box thingy called reserve lighting device. the is in the middle of the headlight wiring. I think most of the cut wires were going to the dashboard which no longer exists.  I think he just clipped off the connector that goes to the dash.... If I buy the dashboard with harness I may be able to splice this back together.

Also missing or hidden is the turn signal flasher relay. I can find it anywhere. Anyone can  tell me where is usually located?

I have the horns working now. That was a bad ground but I still cant get the headlights or turn signals to work.

Just order a complete main harness off ebay. Also ordered a dashboard while I was at it.  hope it all fits.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:23:02 am by gpineau »

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 05:52:34 pm »
Old harness removed and new harness installed.
I got a a 1999 dash and an 86 harness so I will need to swap a few wires around going into the dash.

MAIN PURPOSE FOR THIS POST.....where does the turn signal flasher plug in? there is no socket for it on the harness so I am thinking it must be a separate small harness connected to the front lights. But the whole front end of this bike was missing so I really don't know for sure. The schematics show a plug for it but I cant find it?

Anyone?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 01:55:49 am »
The turn signal relay connects to a sub-harness that does the headlight, front turn signals, turn signal relay, etc.

I've attached a better quality wiring diagram which is useful if ya don't have it already.
Have also attached Guy's "simplified" wiring diagram as that it also useful. :-)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 11:52:20 am »
Thanks a bunch. I figured it had be be something like that because the harness I had did not have any connectors that would fit the flasher, headlight and clock...etc

Found one on ebay last night and it is on its way now.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 03:43:55 pm »
The turn signal relay connects to a sub-harness that does the headlight, front turn signals, turn signal relay, etc.

I've attached a better quality wiring diagram which is useful if ya don't have it already.
Have also attached Guy's "simplified" wiring diagram as that it also useful. :-)

Boomer, what model is the schematic you attached? Euro post '94 ?
it isn't a USA model, as seen by the "city Light", the headlight switch that allows light to be turned off, and the "passing light switch"...

Not sure how much that is gonna help him, there appears to be a few differences, especially with the headlight system on a USA version "  PRE -'94 " bike...

also I think Guy's simplified schema, is post '94 also...

He installed an '86 wire harness, which will not directly mate up with a '99 gauge cluster either...(not to mention the '99 cluster won't mount in an '86 fairing)
The addition of the "emergency headlight system" on pre '94 models adds even more issues when trying to "counteract/remove' that particular device. (i.e. it can't be taken out of the circuit without compensation.)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 04:26:07 pm »
the schematic he needs is attached below.. needs to be downloaded, in order to blow it up enough to read.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline gpineau

• I am an organ donor
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:33 pm »
Thanks. guys,I understand.

I have schematics for all the models and I can see the differences between the 99 Dash I have and the 86 harness I bought off ebay. I can move some wires around and make it work or get a dash that matches the harness.

There is one connector that I will need to change from 3 pin to 4 pin. I have matching connectors in my parts box. 

As a last resort I found a compatible dash for $39.

Thanks again for the help. I was lost looking for something to plug the flasher relay into !

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 01:08:15 am »
Boomer, what model is the schematic you attached? Euro post '94 ?
it isn't a USA model, as seen by the "city Light", the headlight switch that allows light to be turned off, and the "passing light switch"...

Not sure how much that is gonna help him, there appears to be a few differences, especially with the headlight system on a USA version "  PRE -'94 " bike...

also I think Guy's simplified schema, is post '94 also...

He installed an '86 wire harness, which will not directly mate up with a '99 gauge cluster either...(not to mention the '99 cluster won't mount in an '86 fairing)
The addition of the "emergency headlight system" on pre '94 models adds even more issues when trying to "counteract/remove' that particular device. (i.e. it can't be taken out of the circuit without compensation.)

Hi Rich, I believe my wiring diagram is for the "Other than USA & Canada" 86-93 model since that is what I have (89).
In my Service Manual, it's the only wiring diagram in colour so it's the one I "merged" so I don't have to try to read across 2 pages.
No, it won't be exactly like the US one, but it's easy enough to see the differences and you forgot to mention the front running lights in the turn-signals, which we don't have in the RotW (Rest of the World) either  :thumbs:

I mostly use Guys diagram to know what is what inside the J-Box, although that is also slightly different for the RotW bikes and between 86-93 and 94+.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK