Author Topic: Anybody interested in discussing personal finance / investing?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • "One Slip" Momentary Lapse of Reason --Pink Floyd
Re: Anybody interested in discussing personal finance / investing?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 08:30:26 pm »
Anybody interested?

OK, I'll play :)

I'm a tad older, started investing at the start of the dot com boom (am sure you can do the math). Mostly equities, no real estate (money pit regarding maintenance), lived very frugal (very) and still do. I was also self employed, many years. 401K and company pension chit don't apply to me.

1) Difficult to make up for lost time, very difficult.
2) Compounding is a god send, long term.
3) Bonds do produce income, but it may not beat inflation.
4) Peter Lynch was my gawd (Managed Fidelity Magellan Fund). Asked how he picked a stock, he replied he bought a new issue/company/stock that made a product or service that he thought people would buy in 2-3 years.
5) I bought AOL for pennies, sold 18 months later for dollars. I was hooked.
6) Get useful job skills (yes, know this may not apply to an Olde Phart). "Eighteenth Century Womens Studies in Sub-Saharan Africa" may not cut it.
7) Sock every dime you can spare into your investments.
  7a) Don't sweat a minor downturn, but do look 2-5 years out before making a hold/sell decision.
8 ) If it sounds too good to be true...
9) Structure investments to avoid cap gains taxes. Mutual Funds can be lame in this department.
  9a) ETF and/or index funds carry trivial costs, and seem to be the wave of the future. (cough/wheeze)
  9b) If you have a good Broker, he/she will call you with advice. Important if you're on the beach sipping a foo-foo drink with a parasol after you've made your first billion.
10) Buying on margin (stocks, your home) can be a useful tool, know the consequences if market (home) goes up/down in value.
11) We've been in a bull market for 10 years, chit will hit the fan soon.
12) Keep Bernie and Alexander Occasionally cortex/kotex on a short leash.
13) Buying a T-bone or a fancy gin will NOT break the bank. Touring EU every summer because your neighbors the Jones did will, same for the latest/greatest car/truck/boat/...

If you play your cards right, you too can own a domain such as this one ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • "One Slip" Momentary Lapse of Reason --Pink Floyd
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:03:51 pm »
But wait, there's more!

A few have touched on investing principales but haven't actually named them. Dollar Cost Averaging, Asset Allocation, and Market timing.

For the first, just invest something, ignoring trying to buy at the lowest price. It really works.

For the middle one, sure. But don't realign your portfolio every month as the brokers will always take their cut. Yearly is more/less fine. And as you get older, like 65, more in fixed income has advantages.... unless your retirement portfolio is over ~2 mil and generates a modest 2% return above inflation.

As to the last one, market timing, good luck with that. Unless you take a broader view about where the market (and your investments) will be in a year or two. Trying to time the bottom is nearly impossible, unless you're a sage (or know of one).

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:06 pm »
A few have touched on investing principales but haven't actually named them. Dollar Cost Averaging [...], just invest something, ignoring trying to buy at the lowest price. It really works.

Actually, I mentioned that by name twice already :)  It seems counter-intuitive to new investors, but really does work quite well (and saves insanity).  I almost never even look at individual fund costs, just longer-term past performance.

But don't realign your portfolio every month as the brokers will always take their cut. Yearly is more/less fine.

That is why it is often easier to change allocation by just changing what you put new money into.  There have been times mine has been out of whack enough I just shut off all money going into a fund, redirecting it into something else.  I might do that every couple of years, usually it is just some % tweaks here and there, trying to keep a reasonably good portfolio.  Of course, in my case, these are all pre-tax mutual funds in restricted retirement accounts, so I am not directly buying stocks or paying any fees (they just siphon off a tiny amount across everything which funds their operations).  I have maxed (pun intended?) the account contributions for several years, so if I want to do anything else, it would require more traditional direct purchasing and such (or a Roth).  But recently passed the magic "50", so the limits went up again; so at least I was able to get more in.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »
actually... the ONLY person, that ciuld benefit from all of of this, "wait a  minute..."

/\
\.

uhhh
/\.
 i the O/p....

burn him, burn him to the ground... stompp his ashes, and set  4 more fires on top.... then, burn them down, and stomp on them there ashes

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:34 pm »
actually... the ONLY person, that ciuld benefit from all of of this, "wait a  minute..."

uhhh

Took the word(?) right outta my mouth.  The other stuff is just crazy talk and made me afraid.   :-[

Gotta love MOB.
If God should charge you what you owe,

You would always be in debt.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:30 am »
burn him, burn him to the ground... stompp his ashes, and set  4 more fires on top.... then, burn them down, and stomp on them there ashes

u b trippin
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 10:03:26 am »
Are you guys thinking I'm scammin' here?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 10:06:45 am »

/\
\.

uhhh
/\.
 i the O/p....

Did ya spilt yer liquor drank in yer keyberd agin? :doh: :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »

Only if you have shares in some nice Florida wetland you would like to sell...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:04 pm »
Did ya spilt yer liquor drank in yer keyberd agin? :doh: :rotflmao:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :goodpost: :hail: :banana :banana

no, that would be alky-hol abuse....
I did spill ginger ale on it a while back tho...
and my SSSSSSSSSS key don't werk so gud...anymor....

love the humor...

watch out for the "bottle kids.."

cheers...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 04:19:20 pm »

I'm sorry...
I was being a really bad person, and just found it a an "infomercial".. or such...

I'm old.
I'm poor.
My fault.

But man, I had fun, and never planned to leave anything to anyone, other than "unpaid bills"... when I die.

that, and a garage full-o-stuff.... 8)

with that outta the way... I'll just sing this.....

https://youtu.be/Xt8VLdlhMvs

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:45 pm »
I spent most of my money on whiskey and loose women..................and the rest, I just wasted.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.