Author Topic: Tried to replace my C14 battery, then this happened  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Tried to replace my C14 battery, then this happened
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:17 am »
that would go a long way to help, for sure, especially identifying/showing the actual wires, and points where "the smoke came out/was released"....(sorry, just a little electrical joke about "the magic smoke")  but pictures would help greatly....

well, short answer, no, the occurrence with an internally shorted battery would not result in that; when a battery shorts "inside" it basically removes the capacity for "full voltage" at the point of the short; There are 6 sets of plates,each supplying approximately 2 volts (=/- a % of that), if a short occurs between the first and second set, the output volts will be like 9-10v, or 2-3v, depending on which end of the stack it occurs to.   If a battery is installed in THIS bike, as long as the ignition is off, minimal sparking will occur at any terminal... and when attempting to start the bike after, it will not start. Removing the battery, and replacing it correctly, works fine; or so we have seen by the numerous reports on THIS BIKE when they have been incorrectly installed (was very common a few years back, to see this occur even from the dealers... :o ), and so far, after reversing the battery, and connecting it right, no further problems of "catastrophic" damage was found. I guess it's a testament to the robust nature, and safety built into THIS bikes design... or, just plain luck.

Now, if a battery with an internal short, is JUMP STARTED, of forced to take an outside current flow, which it now cannot do because of the short... it COULD blow sky high, and at the least, it will melt down the jumper cable in short order, as its basically like connecting the cable ends, from a running engine sending charging current...

I've had to run outside and put someones "burning" car out with an extinguisher at work, when they attempted jumping a shorted battery... it was pretty impressive to see how fast things "went south"...

I agree with everything Rich said above. I just wanted to clarify the bolded section, for those who don't know...

There were many instances of batteries being installed backwards by dealers on these bikes. I say INSTALLED backwards, not hooked up electrically backwards. My bike was one of these. The battery cables are just long enough so that the battery can be placed into the battery compartment with the positive terminal facing the inside (left side) of the bike. I found that mine was installed backwards when I brought my brand new bike home and installed a battery tender. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 12:04:44 pm »

stock battery is a YTX14-BS

AHHHH...no.

You are most likely correct about what would work, but it isn't the OEM "stock" battery. That would be the FTZ14-BS made by Furukawa. Allegedly a 14 AH battery.
I thought we covered this elsewhere, has Furukawa quit supplying the batteries to mama Kaw without telling me? (how dare they!)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 02:56:23 pm »
AHHHH...no.

You are most likely correct about what would work, but it isn't the OEM "stock" battery. That would be the FTZ14-BS made by Furukawa. Allegedly a 14 AH battery.
I thought we covered this elsewhere, has Furukawa quit supplying the batteries to mama Kaw without telling me? (how dare they!)

thanks, I corrected my description to "fit" my train of thought... when I typed that...
either way, it had to do with size,

Conrad:
there HAVE been a number of people (owners) that have actually installed/replaced the battery reversed, and also the cables...  without immediate detrimental side effects..and of course, it wouldn't start, but when reversed to correct, all was "OK"... not saying the dealers did them all;

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 04:15:44 pm »
but it isn't the OEM "stock" battery. That would be the FTZ14-BS made by Furukawa. Allegedly a 14 AH battery.  I thought we covered this elsewhere, has Furukawa quit supplying the batteries to mama Kaw without telling me? (how dare they!)

I remember trying to locate the FTZ14-BS at the time my original battery failed several years ago and was unable to locate one (outside the dealer- I wasn't going to pay dealer prices for a battery I could buy anywhere and replace, myself).  I don't know if the dealers can still get them, but I bet not.

The owner's manual does not list the battery model nor specification at all.  The factory service manual specifies an FTZ14-BS @ 14Ah and no alternatives.  The YTX14-BS was supposed to be a direct replacement based on many third-party cross references, although, like you said, it was never a 14Ah, it is a 12Ah which was curious (and perhaps a bit scammy).  I do have a Yuasa YTX14-BS in mine now.  Many non-Yuasa batteries now use the same part number for their "clones", often prefixed with some other misc letters added on for good measure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 08:55:01 pm »
https://blog.batterysharks.com/what-do-motorcycle-battery-model-names-stand-for/

Kewl.    So yeah, all these other vendors are kinda ripping off Yuasa's name/reputation by using their part number (in whole or part).  And the "14" really doesn't mean 14Ah, it is just the series.  All in all, I am not sure losing 2Ah (14%) over OEM is all that important.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:26 am »
*wondering if we'll ever hear back from the OP*

:popcorn:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 07:23:15 pm »
*wondering if we'll ever hear back from the OP*

:popcorn:

I was thinking the same thing.  I NEED CLOSURE!!!
If God should charge you what you owe,

You would always be in debt.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 07:40:14 pm »
making popcorn...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:26 am »
No replies from the OP. I think that we can all guess why...

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »
I can see why. I admitted to a bonehead mistake in the Connie Droppers Anonymous section years ago and it is still on the top! 8) ::)

No replies from the OP. I think that we can all guess why...
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 06:11:46 pm »
lets give him a chance here, it's only been 18 days... I've seen 6 months pass, and the o/p came back asking the same thing he asked in the first place, again, so... make popcorn./

if he comes back, all good.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 06:20:44 pm »
lets give him a chance here, it's only been 18 days... I've seen 6 months pass, and the o/p came back asking the same thing he asked in the first place, again, so... make popcorn./

if he comes back, all good.

Indeed.  He has not been active (hasn't visited the site) for 14 days now.  Prior to these posts he was postless for 6 months.  Some people have a life and don't check/post multiple times a day (like me) :)

But...  yeah....    :popcorn:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 06:33:59 pm »
i don't get paid to wipe people's bottoms, nor see it necessary to hound them to give an answer, if they pop in, ask a question, an never come back to absorb.. well, I shut the faucet off. very easy. like putting the toilet seat DOWN, as a man..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 07:01:54 pm »
Some people have a life and don't check/post multiple times a day (like me) :)

OH NO!!!!  :yikes:   I don't have a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :yikes: :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: