Author Topic: Fuel Filter question  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Fuel Filter question
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »
Right. And you never have to change / clean the fuel filter if you use F.I. cleaner once every, say, 5 to 10K miles. The F.I. cleaner really does work and will clean the entire fuel system starting with the tank, pump and pump filter. But it will also actually clean the injectors as well as the combustion chamber and even the spark plus. If you wait until the longer end of that range, 10K miles, you will also notice that after cleaning the bike will run better, idle better and have better throttle response. Scout's honor, the stuff really does work.

Brian

Any particular type of FI cleaner? Quantity/volume to use?
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »
I do not have a favorite brand, I just pick up whatever is on sale and have used STP, Valvoline, Techchron (sp?), etc. Just make sure it is F.I. cleaner, not any kind of 'treatment', carb. cleaner or anything else. There is often a 2 or 3 package on sale for the price of one bottle and that is the one I usually pick. I stay away from 'house' brands though, only using known manufacturers types. The bottom line is that all of them contain some fairly aggressive (but not so aggressive as to eat fuel system parts, such as acetone) solvents and all work because chemistry works. Sort of like washing dishes- the process needs some detergent but the specific brand is not really important, only that there be some present.

I use about 1/2 bottle to a full tank of fuel, which is ~6 gallons. Then run the tank as low as you dare so as to not carry some F.I. cleaner into the next tank(s) of fuel; in other words, you want to use it and get rid of it. Then change the crankcase oil to get rid of both whatever F.I. cleaner blew by the rings (and it will) along with whatever carbon it washed out of the fuel system, combustion chamber and valves, especially the intake.

Along the way, almost by accident, this stuff will also clean the fuel filter, the fuel pump regulator and everything else on the downwide side of the gas filler port (or in the infamous words of Haroldo, the 'gashole').

Brian

Any particular type of FI cleaner? Quantity/volume to use?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
This is a good demonstration of what a FI cleaner can do. Seafoam in this case but Techron and the other name brand ones would probably have done the same. He did the full treatment with spraying it into the intake and added to the oil due to the state of his engine. That's not needed on a decently running C14, just add some to the gas. But it is a heck of a demonstration of what they can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ     :popcorn: