Author Topic: Need a new Battery- What's the consensus  (Read 1137 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Need a new Battery- What's the consensus
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »
My original battery was 5+ years and I went the motobatt way..  I believe that one was 5+ as well.  Some get excellent life out of batteries regardless of what they are or what they are installed in.  Some don't get sh*t for life on them.  Personally I think it's the individual that determines life of batteries and not the battery itself....bad Karma, bad aura, bad juju...not thinking of anyone in particular of course.  I have no patents on that idea...although I probably should.  I do have some patent leather shoes, though, but I don't think that counts.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology (sold).  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline CDII

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 07:13:02 pm »
WPS Firepower Featherweight Lithium.
 Great for the C14 diet @ 2lbs.
3 months so far no issues. $100

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 05:37:30 pm »
My Yuasa battery has been weak for almost a year now.  It has very little depth, and when it was cold last winter, I was almost stranded once (100 miles from home).  But when the temps went up, shortly after, it was OK (although still no depth).  It is past time to replace it, and it needs doing before it starts to get cold again, so I did...

The Yuasa lasted 4-5 years, always connected to the Battery Tender when parked at home.  4 years if you count from it being weak, 5 total (the original battery only 3 years, but that was also before I started using a Tender).  I was fine with getting another, but they seemed to be impossible to find at a reasonable price.  Frustrated, I decided to just pick one off Amazon that had enough good reviews.  Ended up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E0GHUWU

A "Chrome" brand "YTX14-BS", semi-generic, from Amazon, for $48 (free shipping).  It is cheap enough that if it doesn’t last as long, I am OK with that.  I replaced the battery today.  When I removed the old Yuasa, tons of white crud was present on both posts.  More than 2 tablespoons worth of powder, if it were all consolidated.  I cleaned all the connectors and the new posts.  The new battery did not fit the top, snap-down plastic cap because the top of the battery wasn’t quite “standard” shaped, so I snapped only one side.  It seems to fit OK, despite that.  Started the bike quickly/easily.

It came pre-filled and my tester showed it was at least 90% charged.  Now we wait and see if it lasts.  When it is time for another, this one won't be around, so reviews are mostly meaningless.  That is the way it goes now days.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 07:45:15 pm »
My Yuasa battery has been weak for almost a year now.  It has very little depth, and when it was cold last winter, I was almost stranded once (100 miles from home).  But when the temps went up, shortly after, it was OK (although still no depth).  It is past time to replace it, and it needs doing before it starts to get cold again, so I did...

The Yuasa lasted 4-5 years, always connected to the Battery Tender when parked at home.  4 years if you count from it being weak, 5 total (the original battery only 3 years, but that was also before I started using a Tender).  I was fine with getting another, but they seemed to be impossible to find at a reasonable price.  Frustrated, I decided to just pick one off Amazon that had enough good reviews.  Ended up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E0GHUWU

A "Chrome" brand "YTX14-BS", semi-generic, from Amazon, for $48 (free shipping).  It is cheap enough that if it doesn’t last as long, I am OK with that.  I replaced the battery today.  When I removed the old Yuasa, tons of white crud was present on both posts.  More than 2 tablespoons worth of powder, if it were all consolidated.  I cleaned all the connectors and the new posts.  The new battery did not fit the top, snap-down plastic cap because the top of the battery wasn’t quite “standard” shaped, so I snapped only one side.  It seems to fit OK, despite that.  Started the bike quickly/easily.

It came pre-filled and my tester showed it was at least 90% charged.  Now we wait and see if it lasts.  When it is time for another, this one won't be around, so reviews are mostly meaningless.  That is the way it goes now days.

I think the corrosion is a big part of the problem. Just saying.  :rotflmao: