Author Topic: speed limiter question  (Read 3748 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: speed limiter question
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 03:34:27 pm »
Both of the flashs (Steves and Ivans) mention removal of speed limiters and also talk of rpm limiters. So from my reading of their literature I will go on the premise that it is speed limited in stock form.

Inquiring minds want to know!  The ECU has access to speed, I assume, since the ABS and traction control know how fast the wheel is turning (there are sensors for that, of course).  Steve should speak up :)

Not that it really matters that much to me, I know *I* certainly won't be going that fast.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 07:25:22 am »
The 2008 and 2009 models do not have a speed limiter, but the later models do. I have the 2009, that and the fact it is red, makes it the fastest C14.  :chugbeer:

In your dreams..
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline PH14

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:06 am »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 03:17:30 pm »
For me speed is about acceleration.... I don't care much  about top speed (well, as long as it is reasonable).  And the nice part is, as long as you have control (not skidding, not losing traction, not drifting, both tires on ground, being safe), and going under the speed limit, you can get there about as fast as you like and there isn't too much anyone can do about it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:19 pm »
"And the nice part is, as long as you have control (not skidding, not losing traction, not drifting, both tires on ground, being safe)"

What a Debbie Downer....
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 05:03:51 pm »

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 08:37:24 pm »
160 on the dial and still pulling before I backed off. With the side bags on.
Got kinda wobbly on the curves over 140.
The only thing I believe limiting speed is wind resistance, the space between the operators ears and the volume of the content in the ball bag

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:49 am »
I saw 165mph on the speedo on the Autobahn in 2007 but it is an analogue speedo so probably over-reads by 10mph up there.
This was with a stock 2008 model (still had those godawful Bridgepoop BT021s on it) with the screen fully down, both side-bags mounted, a 52 litre trunk and a 350lb Boomer onboard.  :banana

Theoretically a stock 08/09 is faster than the 10- models as the 08/09 are limited to 186Mph in the ECU but the 10- are limited to 155mph.
I have yet to hear of anyone comparing early/late model top speeds under identical conditions with calibrated speed measurement equipment.
If you really want to go faster, get a ZX14 or an H2.  :D

Whilst flashing will give you a little more top end power, it's not a huge amount (10-15bhp) which may add 5mph to your top speed.
One of the things that is changed when they flash the ECU is to remove/raise the speed limit.
The primary advantages that flashing gives are
-low RPM grunt so she will accelerate harder
-less snatchy on/off/on throttle
-believe it or not, slightly better gas mileage.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2020, 06:35:24 pm »
I'm not trying to break land speed records. Just playing with my toy and seeing what it will do. Originally I figured it would just stop accelerating at 155 (indicated). Fully plan on getting it flashed in the next year and I have realistic expectations based on other members reviews. Currently working on the long ride comfort aspect.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 07:03:52 pm »
per my old post, #24, I have yet to recreate the "top end" experiment, but will be doing it soon..
I feel now with the flash I have, it will pull those last untouched mph/rpm, from this ancient bike.
at 65, my testicles have reduced in size, but not my passion for speed.. I know last year, on a long stretch of Ohio back highway, I hit 170, but my garmine was not funtioning to back up the road speed, and downloaded,,.. we'll do it again shortly.. 170 is a real eye opener.. most people will never know that feeling.
If I die, when I die, I hope it was doing just that.   Being the "Sausage Creature"...

ride safe.. and NO, you can't ride with me..
https://youtu.be/vFyTFToX2eg

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 09:56:59 am »
Glad your doing it.
      But, it's not in my play-book anymore.

fyi; As I got older: My testicles didn't decrease in size.
                            My brain became larger.  :thumbs:
                            And I lost my "Get Out of Jail Free Card".
                                           :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:46 pm »
Jeez, y'all pretty....sensitive over the reference to gonads😅 I'm not getting any younger either, fellas. Mid 40s.
And if we're being perfectly honest, old IS the goal. Hopefully my extremities hold up as well and as long as many of yours have, although my hips are already problematic at times and sholders are worse yet already. Life of hard labor and good fun.

If I can catch you, I CAN ride with you🏍

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2020, 05:43:37 am »
Mid 40s....damn near a spring chicken around here... ::)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2020, 12:42:00 pm »
Hardly out of Kindergarten..
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:22 am »
And I thought I was the youngster in these here parts at a mere 57 years old next month.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Aches and pains come with age, but ya can't let them dominate your life.
I did 80 miles on the C14 and 110 miles on the C10 this weekend and yes it made me ache a little, but so does sitting on the sofa.
I just take painkillers when I have to and get on with life.  :banana
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK