Author Topic: Turning off  (Read 611 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Turning off
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 10:54:07 am »
You do not have to or even want to remove the tank for any / all of the maintenance being talked about here. In fact, you will need the tank on the bike to do a T.B. synch. anyway 'cause that is done with the bike running.

If you have over 40K on the OE air filter, you must be down to 100 hp max...... :-)  Mine have always been downright filthy at 25K intervals.

Brian

I know, I am so bad.  I have never removed the gas tank before (even with all the farkling over the years) and I am very leery to do it without my friend helping.  Otherwise I would have at least replaced the air filter, coolant, and dumped the gas tank on my own.  Really, the ONLY reason this stuff has not been done is because of him not being available and my not trusting the dealer to do it right.  I wanted to do it all at the same time (I have quite a list now- all that plus leaky cam seal, valve adjust, TB sync, header bolts, windshield lube, inspection of stuff).  I will start actively pestering him again.... I think he is much more "stable" now.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 10:55:14 am »
Is it behind the panel?  If so, that might be why I remember it but didn't find it.  I would check now, but it is raining AGAIN.

It's not supposed to be behind the panel, but frequently ends up there when the panel is removed and replaced. See page 216 Owner's Manual.

fyi: Here is what my filter looked like after leaving it in for over3X the mileage that I should have. (page 187 OM, 11,250 miles)

A fuel mileage improvement was very noticeable after the change.  ::) :-[

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 10:54:58 am »
OK, it stopped raining long enough for me to finally look and test.  First up- the idle adjuster.  Nope, there isn't one (just like I thought).  So I have a feeling it has some how ended up behind the fairing.  There is no easy getting to that any time soon.  It is going to start raining again in probably an hour.

Next, I videoed starting the bike cold so I could study it and time it.  73F ambient, 75%RH.  After starting, it hovers erratically between 1300 to 1600 rpm.  At 40 seconds it starts to lower slowly until it hits 750rpm at 1 min 10 seconds.  That is where it stays, just barely running.  At 2 min I reved it some and it returns right back to 750.  At 2min 40 sec, still at 750 and I turned it off because it started raining (of course).  I really wanted to let it run longer to see where it would end up as it got warmer.

So.... Although there is a list of stuff that certainly needs doing, I think I need to get to that idle adjuster.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 12:02:05 pm »
You show your bike as being a 2011: that means that yeah, the adjuster is behind the rubber filler between the mid- fairing and the engine. Still, not much of a problem, simply open the very bottom of that filler and you will find it. I do not <think> you have to remove any fairing screws but you may have to remove the bottom / rear screw to pull the very bottom of the fairing away.

You can also try to reach up from underneath the fairings (Easy Boys!) and get to it that way. There may be room enough.

And it would be well worth a few minutes to do a Google search. The process should also be laid out clearly (well, kinda' clearly :-)  ) in the service manual and possibly even in the owner's manual.

The end result is that this just is not that big of a deal to avoid and instead deal with a stalling, possibly dangerous and far more likely to drop bike IMO. Really, it just will not be that bad to adjust.

Of course I suggest doing this on a cold bike and engine.

Best of luck.

Brian

OK, it stopped raining long enough for me to finally look and test.  First up- the idle adjuster.  Nope, there isn't one (just like I thought).  So I have a feeling it has some how ended up behind the fairing.  There is no easy getting to that any time soon.  It is going to start raining again in probably an hour.

Next, I videoed starting the bike cold so I could study it and time it.  73F ambient, 75%RH.  After starting, it hovers erratically between 1300 to 1600 rpm.  At 40 seconds it starts to lower slowly until it hits 750rpm at 1 min 10 seconds.  That is where it stays, just barely running.  At 2 min I reved it some and it returns right back to 750.  At 2min 40 sec, still at 750 and I turned it off because it started raining (of course).  I really wanted to let it run longer to see where it would end up as it got warmer.

So.... Although there is a list of stuff that certainly needs doing, I think I need to get to that idle adjuster.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 01:21:51 pm »

that part about running erratically at cold start, 1300-1600 rpm, says you ain't getting air thru your filter..., and when the throttle is blipped anytime after the first 30-40 seconds has elapsed, the secondary butterflies will be closing, as they now do not need to be wide open, as they are during a cold start... this results in the change you see.

your bike has the increased heat flow shield, down bottom... but you can still get to the adjuster.. stick you finger in behind the rubber "deflector" and feel for the "knob", it can be pulled out, and accessed then.. when it's exposed, start and bring bike up to temp again, until the fast idle drops off... then turn the knob C/W, a bit, to see if the idle rises.. don't twist and twist tho, if it does not respond... should only take

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 01:31:33 pm »
You show your bike as being a 2011: that means that yeah, the adjuster is behind the rubber filler between the mid- fairing and the engine. Still, not much of a problem, simply open the very bottom of that filler and you will find it. I do not <think> you have to remove any fairing screws but you may have to remove the bottom / rear screw to pull the very bottom of the fairing away.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!!  The rain ended.  So I went back out there with a flashlight and tools.  I had to partially remove the mid and lower fairing and then, there it was!  So I routed it back out to be external and put everything back.  10 minutes.  You are right, I probably could have done it from below, but not without know EXACTLY where it was and what it felt like.

Started it, let it get warm, then adjusted it to 1125rpm for now (wow that adjuster is sensitive).  Let's see how it behaves.  The idle is still a bit erratic, but I am betting the engine won't just shut off on me now.  Should be able to ride tonight if there is no more rain... forecast looks good so far...

I guess any time I remove that fairing, I will have to remember to route that stupid thing to be external.  Never paid it any mind, since I have never had any idle problems until now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 09:31:29 pm »
Should be able to ride tonight if there is no more rain... forecast looks good so far...

OMG, *so* much better.

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 07:06:30 am »
 ::) There goes the air filter change.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 09:00:55 am »

:rotflmao:

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:05 am »
This is why Max tires last so long.😉

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:16 am »

LOL! :)

The air filter shouldn't cause such symptoms- engine accelerates fine at 10 times the airflow.  Oh, it is probably dirty as hell, and needs replacement.  It is probably hurting higher flow power, but that wouldn't be enough to hurt idle.  If it were that dirty, the bike would ride like it had a wet rag in it.

The idle is still a bit erratic.  It is possible one of my plugs is a bit fouled- that could be caused by a valve being a bit loose.  I have been stepping up my efforts harassing my mechanic friend.

Rode it about 100 miles this morning at all speeds, rates, road types.  SO much better.  I didn't realize how much I was compensating for the issue with every launch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 10:13:53 am »
This is why Max tires last so long.😉

Um, no.

But they are starting to show significant wear now at 14,674 miles, 2.3 years.  Almost at wear bars now- they would not pass inspection (if I bothered to ever have the bike inspected).  So I might have another 3K miles left, depending on exactly how they wear and how much I care about having tread for wet riding (which I try to avoid, of course).

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »
I am a little jealous. I would be happy to get half that mileagevout of a rear tire.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »
I am a little jealous. I would be happy to get half that mileage out of a rear tire.

You would probably have to move to this area, because I think the roads make the most difference.