Author Topic: Road 4 GT or Road 5 GT  (Read 709 times)

Offline EddiE J.

Road 4 GT or Road 5 GT
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:51:19 am »
Just bought this 2010 3 weeks ago and it came with Road 4 GTs, I have put about 2000 miles on them and all is good even great traction when turning the power on from the Schnitz Racing flashed ECU. So I went to Cycle Gear Moto Bash yesterday in Sacramento  and won a free set of my choice Michelin tires So I ask are the Road 5 GT an improvement over the Road 4 GT ?  I am old Retired and just like to Ride .... a tire that gives the best life is important I am not into trying to keep up with the kids on the ZX-10's . So anyone out here that have tried both give me your opinion on what to go with on the next set !     

Offline connie_rider

Re: Road 4 GT or Road 5 GT
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 08:54:12 am »
They do have the Road 5's but the Road 5 "GT's" are not available yet.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 09:17:19 am »
Just bought this 2010 3 weeks ago and it came with Road 4 GTs, I have put about 2000 miles on them and all is good even great traction when turning the power on from the Schnitz Racing flashed ECU. So I went to Cycle Gear Moto Bash yesterday in Sacramento  and won a free set of my choice Michelin tires So I ask are the Road 5 GT an improvement over the Road 4 GT ?

Nobody knows yet, the 5GT is still not available yet.  I love my PR4 GT, so if you need to get now, and they are free, then you can't go wrong with PR4 GT.  I get incredible life with them, they handle very well, stick well, and have great wet traction.  If you free thing lasts for several more months, you could just wait and see; it sounds like you have lots of life yet.  No sense in wasting money!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline EddiE J.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:34 am »
Yes I stand corrected .... it appears the GT version has a stiffer side wall for heavy bikes and as of yet it is not offered on the Road 5 . I will inquire tomorrow when I talk with the Michelin Rep  ..... " I want to be the test Pilot for your very first set of Pilot 5 GT's on the West Coast " .

Wish Me Luck !  ;) 

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »
Yes I stand corrected .... it appears the GT version has a stiffer side wall for heavy bikes....

fyi: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23991.msg302207#msg302207

...just disregard the comments about my stiffness, it just pXnXs envy.  :banana

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 01:54:25 pm »
fyi: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23991.msg302207#msg302207

...just disregard the comments about my lack of stiffness, it just pXnXs envy.  :banana

fify

Really marty... too much information... :o
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:03:37 pm »

:rotflmao:       

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:01:34 pm »
Really marty... too much information... :o

Like I said earlier, just envy. They do call him pinkie.

Offline EddiE J.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 04:17:22 am »
Oh we going there now .... even at my age I get Stiffness when I twist the throttle .... it starts in my arms 

Offline EddiE J.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 02:47:47 pm »
After asking the Michelin Rep if I could receive a set of Pilot Road 5 GT's to be one of the first on west coast to  try out ... and report back on their performance, I was informed that.....  I will soon be receiving my set of  PR5GT's in sizes 120/70zr-17 & 190/55zr-17   How COOL IS THAT 

I even had Michelin tires on my 1977 KZ 1078 that Pee Wee Jay Gleason helped me put together  It was scary fast  back in those days with the slick & wheelie bars it was in the low 9's !

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »
After asking the Michelin Rep if I could receive a set of Pilot Road 5 GT's to be one of the first on west coast to  try out ... and report back on their performance, I was informed that.....  I will soon be receiving my set of  PR5GT's in sizes 120/70zr-17 & 190/55zr-17   How COOL IS THAT 

That is pretty cool, except the rear size is not stock/correct (should be 190/50).  But the definition of "soon" could be, well, just about anything.  Guess we will see!  Perhaps you will be the first to have to write up a review for everyone.  Of course, the most important part (especially on expensive tires like these) is longevity.  For that, we might have to wait a long time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline EddiE J.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 04:11:30 pm »
Odd you should say that !  got a second email that the request for the rear in 190/55ZR17  wasn’t approved and would need to go with the OE size of 190/50ZR17 ...

Could not say no !  As for the tire life .... I will keep forum and Michelin Rep posted .   
BTW he called them Road 5 GT Tires .... the pilot name was removed . I have no idea where they are shipped from so have no idea when they arrive my PR4GT's still have a lot of life left but I do ride almost every day.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 08:58:46 am »
Is that free tires? If so, GREAT!! (regardless of how long it takes)
   I will soon be receiving my set of  PR5GT's in sizes 120/70zr-17 & 190/55zr-17

Ride safe, Ted

Offline EddiE J.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »
yes free !  Cycle Gear Moto Bash in Sacramento  Once a year in September From 8 am to 8 pm  every hour a drawing there were about 6 sets of tires and other great prizes. and many other prizes and gift cards given between the hourly drawing.  Cycle Gear is a very generous company and do a monthly Bike Night with food entertainment and gift card / prizes given away . It use to be different nights for different locations and we would attend 4-5 Bike Nights per month .... very rarely we came home empty handed ! Now  all local stores in calif hold Bike Night on second Tuesday of the month , once you get to know the sales people they will work with you to order items that might not be sold in their stores and price match so all my 50.00 gift cards I win don't go unspent .  Cycle Gear is like the Cosco / Sams Club / Walmart of motor cycle parts and accessories and Very  Generous  Look up on their website for you local Bike Night  and go have some food fun and win some cool stuff / gift cards.   my bikes have been accessorized nicely thanks to C.G.     Moto Bash had a bike show any one could show up and enter any bike .... when George announced the winner .... He said EVERY ONE Wins & Gets a 100.00 gift card !   

BTW tires will be here next week  Thanks to Michelin & Cycle Gear       

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
That brings back memories Eddie. I had an '06 Nomad 1600 prior to the C14. It was black, too.
Cool.

Leo