Author Topic: First (and probably last) Valve Adjustment  (Read 6881 times)

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: First Valve Adjustment / TB Sync
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 07:07:56 am »
WOW...I have done valve adjusts on every bike I have owned that needed it over the last 50 years but I will never do one on my C14. I rode mine to Texas (1,300 miles each way) and had Fred Harmon do mine and it was so worth it....especially when I see your pictures. You are a better man than I am. Mine was done at 46,000 miles and he replaced 12 shims to get them all at center but if I remember correctly only 4  were out of spec. 16,000 miles later no leaks or problems of any kind and runs perfect....my wallet is a little lighter though. Two days in a hotel watching TV seemed like more fun than taking on that job. JMO
Fred was my solution as well, Great guy to work with. However I hauled my track bike up to Mountain Home along with the C14 and rode some of the best roads in Arkansas while he did the work. ;D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 08:18:34 am »
 :'(
.........I rode mine to Texas (1,300 miles each way) and had Fred Harmon do mine and it was so worth it....especially when I see your pictures. ....my wallet is a little lighter though. Two days in a hotel watching TV seemed like more fun than taking on that job. JMO

Fred was my solution as well, Great guy to work with. However I hauled my track bike up to Mountain Home along with the C14 and rode some of the best roads in Arkansas while he did the work. ;D

Just for clarity on these two posts, between these two above quoted valve jobs, Fred Harmon moved from 15 minutes from my house (Texas) to 8 hours from my house (Arkansas)  :'( :(:( :(
He is indeed now living in the Mountain Home Arkansas area.

OK, back to max's story....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 02:52:05 pm »
OK but you are not the reason he moved, right? At least not the main reason..... ?

:rotflmao:

Brian

:'(
Just for clarity on these two posts, between these two above quoted valve jobs, Fred Harmon moved from 15 minutes from my house (Texas) to 8 hours from my house (Arkansas)  :'( :(:( :(
He is indeed now living in the Mountain Home Arkansas area.

OK, back to max's story....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 03:21:50 pm »
Only two pages so far...Come on Max!

Sorry, I have to work every day.  Not much will happen between weekends.  And much of that is dependent on if/when my friend can help.  I am off tomorrow and will attempt to drill out the broken bolt.  Sunday I have to take THE CAR to Richmond, since I will have no bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 06:32:32 pm »
OK but you are not the reason he moved, right? At least not the main reason..... ?

:rotflmao:

Brian

;D

No, I only went to his house 4 times. Two of the times was to drop off the bike and the other two were to drop off money, so I don't think that was the reason. If my local presence was the reason he moved I'm sure he would have moved much further away than only 8 hours. Besides the wind pattern from my house to his wasn't a problem (however I've noticed a lot of houses on the market to the north of me...hmmmmm. :-[

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 08:56:44 pm »
  ;D

No, I only went to his house 4 times. Two of the times was to drop off the bike and the other two were to drop off money, so I don't think that was the reason. If my local presence was the reason he moved I'm sure he would have moved much further away than only 8 hours. Besides the wind pattern from my house to his wasn't a problem (however I've noticed a lot of houses on the market to the north of me...hmmmmm. :-[

If we ever are close, I'll ride upwind and far ahead..

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 08:59:25 am »
If we ever are close, I'll ride upwind and far ahead..

Most do, however it has more to do with my lack of riding skills than it does their ability to breathe.  :-[

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 10:27:05 am »
If you guys ever see Fred's place in the hilly, wooded outskirts of Mountain Home you will know why he moved.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »
Today I used my friend's contraption/bushing/thing to reface the broken bolt in the engine mount.  Then bought some new bits and drilled through the bolt with a 5/16".  Took a long time.  Not sure how true or square it is.  Now I have to wait for him to come and try to remove what is left of the bolt.

Meanwhile, I repaired the two fairing mounts which are infamous for breaking.  The two that are on the mirrors that hold the left and right panels (the left one houses the glovebox).  The left one was cracked and almost broken off.  The right one was completely broken off.  I reattached them using small nylon zip ties around the circumference.  Then I spread JB weld all around that.

Then I repaired the other common trim problem- the glovebox panel near the grip warmer control.  It cracked all the way through (pic attached).  I removed the control, cleaned the underside, scored it up with a razor blade, put on some fiberglass tape mesh, then spread JB weld over it.  Will it hold?  Who knows.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 06:12:09 am »
JB Weld is a good product.  I would think it would hold up fine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2019, 07:18:37 am »
JB Weld is a good product.  I would think it would hold up fine.

It is strong, for sure.  But at least for the panel crack, I am concerned it won't deal with flex.  Time will tell!

I was going through the maintenance schedule again.  I just can't believe they actually think we should replace the spark plugs every 7,500 miles!  Can't wait to see what state mine are in... perhaps today...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2019, 03:38:03 pm »
Today I used my friend's contraption/bushing/thing to reface the broken bolt in the engine mount.  Then bought some new bits and drilled through the bolt with a 5/16".  Took a long time.  Not sure how true or square it is.  Now I have to wait for him to come and try to remove what is left of the bolt.

It wasn't true/square.  Used heat and an extractor without success.  Drilled out larger and then pushed out pieces what was left of it (out the back), which took threads with it.  Photos of largest chunk attached.  So we will have to use an insert.  I expected as much.

Finished the valve adjustment.  So now clearances are as follows:

1in .006/.008 2in .006/.006 3in .007/.007 4in .008/.007
1ex .009/.009 2ex .009/.009 3ex .008/.008 4ex .008/.008

Replaced spark plugs.  One was slightly overgapped.  None looked all that bad, but all replaced with new.  Changed all the gaskets, put back on cam over, put back exhaust cam sensor with oversized O ring.  Changed oil, cleaned throttle bodies.  Tons of reassembly left to do, some day, so it can be tested.

Noticed the right fan has a little grinding noise when free-spun, the left one doesn't do that.

Offline strum

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2019, 06:52:56 pm »
Am I wrong to say most of those intakes are too loose?

Valve Clearance Standard:

0.19 ∼ 0.24 mm (0.0075 ∼ 0.0094 in.)Exhaust

0.12 ∼ 0.17 mm (0.0047 ∼ 0.0067 in.)Inlet

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »
Am I wrong to say most of those intakes are too loose?

No.  They are, indeed, on the loose side, but that was intentional because they will [almost always] tighten over time.  You will find most people will adjust them to be on the loose side.  We do admit that the .008 was not intentional nor ideal (we were targeting 0.006 - 0.007), but we couldn't do much else without having to go through a lot of work again and decided it was good enough.  It was a tight 0.008, though (so probably more like 0.0075).

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 09:25:32 am »
Noticed the right fan has a little grinding noise when free-spun, the left one doesn't do that.

Was that grinding noise with the fan removed from the radiator or attached? I only ask because you don't want this: http://forum.cog-online.org/rallies-rides-and-events/radiator-patch-at-national/