Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 3826 times)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 05:50:47 pm »
Max, don't let facts get in the way of a good story.  And don't remind anyone that their President speculated months ago that the mortality rate would be less than 1%.  I got beat up pretty good by the same guy questioning your numbers when I stated that most doctors around the world rate hydroxychloroquine (sp?) as the best treatment for Covid-19.  Even though it was a readily available survey result based on what thousands of doctors around the world were reporting. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 06:10:35 pm »
... Not going to wait in a line for the Man to get me with a swab.  I don't like waiting in line for anything.  If I have to wait for it then it isn't worth it for me...

Absolutely no f'in way am I going to voluntary have a swab stuck up my nose till it touches my pea sized brain...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 09:38:47 pm »
Absolutely no f'in way am I going to voluntary have a swab stuck up my nose till it touches my pea sized brain...

I kinda feel the same way, unless it was really necessary.  I have seen just how far that sucker goes.  And if it is worse than the regular flu swab I had several years ago (which turned out positive), I think I will pass.  With that in mind, I would still take an antibody test if offered one (that is not up the nose), see below....

If I had symptoms, I might submit to the present-infection test, although knowing positive/negative doesn't really change much.  If I didn't have it, it changes nothing.  If I did have it, it changes nothing- I would still seek care based on what was or was not happening with my body.  I would still take precautions not to spread it and would still self-isolate.  I take precautions regardless, even without any symptoms.  One can still have the virus and the test show nothing because the viral load isn't high enough yet.  One can have no symptoms and still spread it, even if the test was negative.  And one could test false positive and be in panic for no reason, or false negative and I suppose be irresponsible.  And one can test negative and then catch it the very same day, perhaps never to be tested again.

So the only real value in mass public testing for active infection on people without symptoms is when they are lucky enough to catch the rare person who is positive at the time AND without symptoms, allowing intense isolation to hopefully prevent additional spread.  But only a small percent of the population actively have it, and only 1/3 of those are people without symptoms.  It looks like a rather weak effort to make much of any difference, especially if people use common sense about protection.  It is really only a useful tool in a healthcare setting and for "hot spot" areas, like if a suspected outbreak started developing in a nursing home where you had to take swift and aggressive action to protect a large number of vulnerable people from each other (those who are old and typically also with numerous pre-existing conditions).

In my opinion, COVID-19 testing, in mass, of those with no symptoms is a mixed bag of mostly nothing but cost; more of a "but we have to 'do something'" kinda thing.  However, antibody testing for those without symptoms (and those who perhaps did have symptoms in the past and were never active tested), is a much more valuable tool for understanding the state of situation and predicting what is happening and might happen.  I would encourage everyone to participate in that, if they have the opportunity.

But speaking of appropriate testing to prevent issues in a healthcare setting of vulnerable people:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/21/nursing-homes-residents-account-for-81-of-covid-19-deaths-in-minnesota-but-state-still-allows-facilities-to-admit-covid-19-positive-patients/
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: Today at 05:50:00 am »
I could go get tested for free if I wanted to but why?  I don't have any symptoms and the testing is reported to NOT be 100% accurate anyway.  And as for the 100,000+ deaths, how many were the flu?  I'm sure not many right?  In all past years I believe I've read that we have a annual loss of between 16,000 to 61,000 lives due to the seasonal flu.  But not this year right?  Because Dr. Birx said we didn't have a flu this year.  Well, all I can say about that is, thank God we didn't have a flu this year, can you imagine how high the death count would be if we did!   :o

With that said, and it being Friday, the start of the weekend, I'm going to stop by the "essential" liquor store on the way home from work and get a case of corona.  But don't worry, I'll put on my home made mask that's almost useless at stopping viruses to make everyone else feel safe.  We'll get thru this together.  ;)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645