Author Topic: Forum and member sensitivity to topics  (Read 2418 times)

Offline DC Concours

• 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
Re: Forum and member sensitivity to topics
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:29 am »
I have never had FB so I keep away from that altogether. The forums on FB are always terrible.

VAJim, if you have the "Range" for weapons discussions why not have a politics or religion sub-topic too? Just curious since you discourage all three why have one but not the others? Consider opening them. I am lovely,  I'll moderate them for you.

Open is open to discuss anything 'civilly'.  The watch word is 'civilly'.  It is now the word of the day.  You get points for using it.  I tend to discourage topics on politics, religion, and weaponry due to their very nature of becoming hot buttons and then I have to lock the topic or in worst case obliterate it (doesn't happen often).  We have an Arena where you can discuss things in a more pointed fashion.  We also have the Range where weapons can be discussed freely.

As far as traffic goes, the bikes and the owners are getting on in years and many have transitioned to different conveyances.  The C10s and C14s are mature products.  Just not a whole lot going on with them unfortunately.  Heck, I sold my C14 a few years ago to a friend so I still see it on a semi-regular basis.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 10:23:39 am »
I have never had FB so I keep away from that altogether. The forums on FB are always terrible.

VAJim, if you have the "Range" for weapons discussions why not have a politics or religion sub-topic too? Just curious since you discourage all three why have one but not the others? Consider opening them. I am lovely,  I'll moderate them for you.
Politics or religion are usually assigned the the Arena section.  It's mostly a free-for-all in there.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:49 am »
I have a question for you all...
Is this forum, its mods and members sensitive like little girls? It seems that the other forum has a lot of sensitive members and mods, and so threads get warned and locked down frequently. It is annoying.

I like COG a lot and I'm still a dues paying member, however I hardly ever post over there anymore.
It's a volunteer organization, but the people that step up and to volunteer to run things are (IMO) too, too and way too concerned with the COG "image".
Instead of letting the asshats be known to all, they prefer to ride herd and keep a tight grip on the forum. Unfortunately it's very
difficult to not let biases show through with that much control, even if unintended...which it may or may not be. The club slogan
may be the problem. "Join for the bike, stay for the people." However like any big group of people, some are just anal openings
and if you try to hide that fact with strict control then stuff happens.
Down the road COG will have the same problem that the MSTA did. When the C14 totally disappears there will be no bike to rally around. The MSTA
originated around a Honda model (I forget what it was), then that disappeared they became the Honda Sport Touring Assoc. now they are the Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc.
The MSTA doesn't have much of a forum problem as it just doesn't get any traffic. It makes this place seem very high volume. They do make up for it though
with good turn out at events.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:46 am »
My bike is faster than a Connie, so I'm too stuck up to hang out and post here anymore.
So there! ;D
Traded my Connie for the H2SXSE+

Offline sport rider

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 01:54:56 pm »
My bike is faster than a Connie, so I'm too stuck up to hang out and post here anymore.
So there! ;D

Harley?    :stirpot:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 01:59:43 pm »
I Harley think so...

What BruceR said....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 06:41:32 pm »

It's there, hidden to most everyone. Screw up a post, it'll get moved there. Hint: Membership has its privileges.

All the admins have access to it (hint #2), and it isn't moderated in the classic sense. If the mods (the admins) tire/tyre/tar of a thread it doesn't get locked, it just goes poof. Same for any thread in there, they can go poof at any time, no warning to them asses.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 03:22:55 am »
It's there, hidden to most everyone. Screw up a post, it'll get moved there. Hint: Membership has its privileges.

All the admins have access to it (hint #2), and it isn't moderated in the classic sense. If the mods (the admins) tire/tyre/tar of a thread it doesn't get locked, it just goes poof. Same for any thread in there, they can go poof at any time, no warning to them asses.

Rick
Ahhh the Ripley option!  :thumbs:
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

As for the H2SXSE, it may be faster but it has a teeny weeny little gas tank.  :rotflmao: :popcorn:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline sport rider

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 06:25:09 am »
As for the H2SXSE, it may be faster but it has a teeny weeny little gas tank.  :rotflmao: :popcorn:

Compensating.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 07:10:46 am »
I have a question for you all...

Is this forum, its mods and members sensitive like little girls? It seems that the other forum has a lot of sensitive members and mods, and so threads get warned and locked down frequently. It is annoying.

To answer that question directly which is something I strive to not do....I'm going to say no.    I don't think you see threads here get warned and locked down that much in my estimation as I'm usually the one that does that sort of thing.  Heaven forbid I would criticize myself.  My criteria to do so is when I see members not treating other members with respect.  And that's all there is to it actually.  If you come to the forum hoping that you'll get serious answers most of the time, then I don't think you'll do well here.  We make fun of each other and bikes all the time.  It's what we do.  You may actually get an answer to your questions at some point, though.  I will not tolerate nastiness from members against other members.  Those who do so may get a time out depending on my mood at the time.  Also remember, this is not a democracy as you see my sword and it has been used upon occasion.  I'm the nicest mod...keep that in mind.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »
And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 02:54:47 pm »
I'm the nicest mod...keep that in mind.

And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter.

...but he cauterizes as he slices so you don't get infected or bleed out, now that's just thoughtful. He is the nicest mod.  :-*
(and that my friends, is how to do a proper suck up.)

Indian motorcycles suck!  :thumbdown
(and that my friends, is how one goes and ruins the whole thing.)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 04:19:09 pm »
Harley?    :stirpot:
;D

That Connie drinks fuel at an incredible rate, if you keep it twisted. I have proof! ;)
My new bike gets about the same, according to the dash.
Traded my Connie for the H2SXSE+

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 07:00:08 pm »
And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter laughter.  FIFY

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 07:01:13 pm »
...but he cauterizes as he slices so you don't get infected or bleed out, now that's just thoughtful. He is the nicest mod.  :-*
(and that my friends, is how to do a proper suck up.)

Indian motorcycles suck!  :thumbdown
(and that my friends, is how one goes and ruins the whole thing.)

Congratulations!  You've used your get out of jail card!

See Mr. Pink's post...