Author Topic: [09 ABS] brake lines & clutch line replacement  (Read 525 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

[09 ABS] brake lines & clutch line replacement
« on: October 02, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »
Hello everyone

I am planning to do the brake lines and clutch line replacement by myself. ordered Galfer lines for brake & clutch.

The service manual is not very clear on the procedure, and cannot find anything on YouTube. do you have any other how-to resources? do I need to remove fairings and fuel tank?

thank

Offline Freddy

Re: [09 ABS] brake lines & clutch line replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
The 'flexible' line between the ABS unit and the steel lines that run under the tank are not rubber but a much harder material.  They shouldn't need touching so the tank can stay in place unless you replace the fuel filter - which could be a good thing.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 05:27:45 AM »
If you haven't already, you might want to order a service manual from your Kawasaki dealer.  It can be very helpful.  I always buy them for all my vehicles.  Even though I am certainly no mechanic, it has a LOT of useful information for whatever maintenance I attempt.  Information on the forum, of course, is also extremely helpful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:14:03 AM »
Replacing the lines is simply a matter of unbolting the old ones and fitting the new ones.
Use new crush washers.
Don't get brake fluid on any paint or plastic.
If you have a vacuum bleeder that will make getting the air out much easier.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:43:38 AM »
The real mystery is when it should really need to be done.  The manual calls for hose replacement thusly:

3 years: radiator
4 years: brake/clutch
5 years: fuel

Really???  Maybe I am naive, but I typically own vehicles (cars and motorcycles), on average, for around 10 years.  I have never had any of those replaced, in any vehicle, ever.  And I have also never had any problems.  I am not saying this is a good idea (to ignore the schedule), but the schedule also seems ridiculously pessimistic.  It is the same schedule that thinks iridium spark plugs should be replaced at 12K AND 24L AND 36K AND 48K miles!  (The same design plugs are in my G37S, and that manual calls for replacement at only 100K miles).  Like everyone else seems to report on the C14, mine were still nearly perfect at 43K miles (but I did replace them, since, what the hell, I bought some just in case and I had everything apart).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc