Author Topic: I was not really in the market but....  (Read 529 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: I was not really in the market but....
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 01:32:41 pm »
It is not what I would call matte, which Kawasaki calls it but more of a semi- gloss. There is definitely light reflection from the paint but it is just dull light 'blobs' without definition. I <believe> it is clear coated, and so should resist debris capture much better than a true flat paint would. But looking around the dealer, I can see that this is a significant trend, with Ducati having at least half of the bikes that were displayed being non- glossy (and flatter than the C-14). There was one in a beige/ tan color that was not bad looking which surprised me 'cause I would have expected to [not like] any of them.

The 2020 C-14 did not look nearly as bad as I expected due to the semi- gloss paint, and it is in a nice color IMO, a true silver not at all like an '08 for example. Coupled with the shiny black tank and some black plastic (leading edge fairing and mirror bodies are black also) it does not look too bad. If I tripped over a '19 or '20 for the right price, I might consider buying one. It might grow on me, or I could just get used to it and if not, because the tank is black, all the clothes could be removed and hit with a clear coat of urethane or even a color I would prefer-  a mid- scale gray has always been a favorite on motorcycles. BMW had a beautiful shade back in '07 I think on their GT series (the 1200 and 1300 GT).

To me, matte paint not only looks bad, but it even looks "damaged."  It is also very difficult to keep clean, and can be permanently stained by something as simple as a wet leaf sitting on it too long.  And the darker the color, the more nightmare matte paint becomes.

I have not actually seen the 2019/2020 in person (I doubt any of us have), so it might not really be "matte" silver but just lower gloss than typical?  Photographs just don't cut it for really knowing that much, although it is clearly not full gloss.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 04:35:14 pm »
It is not what I would call matte, which Kawasaki calls it but more of a semi- gloss. There is definitely light reflection from the paint but it is just dull light 'blobs' without definition.

That is exactly what I was expecting.  True matte is really yucky.  Semi-gloss is, well, passable.

I <believe> it is clear coated, and so should resist debris capture much better than a true flat paint would. But looking around the dealer, I can see that this is a significant trend

Yes, it was with cars, too.  Both true matte and semi-gloss.

The 2020 C-14 did not look nearly as bad as I expected due to the semi- gloss paint, and it is in a nice color IMO, a true silver not at all like an '08 for example

Yes.  Although it might have less gloss, it is still "Atomic Silver", which is the same as the 2011, the only true silver that Kawasaki has put on the C14.  The 2008 "Neutron" was more of a silvery light baby or stone blue.  You can see the difference here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20250.0;attach=30201;image
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »
Yep, I have an '08 and it is definitely what I would call gray with a blue bias. The '11 is much closer to what I think of as a true silver.

The '19 and '20's may buff out to a gloss though what a nightmare inside the fairing fins and similar. That said, one could tape off specific areas and just buff the <generally> flat (body shape here, not flat paint) to a gloss. ??

That is exactly what I was expecting.  True matte is really yucky.  Semi-gloss is, well, passable.

Yes, it was with cars, too.  Both true matte and semi-gloss.

Yes.  Although it might have less gloss, it is still "Atomic Silver", which is the same as the 2011, the only true silver that Kawasaki has put on the C14.  The 2008 "Neutron" was more of a silvery light baby or stone blue.  You can see the difference here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20250.0;attach=30201;image
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 05:07:56 pm »
Well, I am not sure who is mistaken here and it may well be me. They have been at it a lot longer and spring is coming so...... The short answer is that they want more than I am willing to pay and so we do not have the 'makings' of a deal there. As I said, I just cannot pay more for a used '16 than what I can get a new '19 or '20 for. At some point, these things all melt down into a commodity and so have an externally placed value. The other problem, at least for me, is that that '16 has already used up ~ four years of potential warranty coverage. I really do not want a high- value C-14 without a warranty in place, especially one with ABS as the cost to fix them is high. It would not matter much to me after the bike is 9 years old but I really want those 9 years to be under my ownership, not split with another owner.

I hope they see the error of their ways soon and accept your offer. Two friends of mine have a different technique. When their offer is turned down they say the salesman can call them in a couple months when it hasn't sold. They then tell the salesman the price they will pay then, which is less than the original offer. Once recently got a Moto Guzzi that way, and paid substantially less than their original offer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 05:11:06 pm »
That said, one could tape off specific areas and just buff the <generally> flat (body shape here, not flat paint) to a gloss. ??

I am not sure you can buff a semi-gloss into being gloss.  And in the process, it would remove most of the protection.  I suspect that if one really wanted full gloss, it would require shooting a new layer or two of gloss clearcoat on it.  Not sure what the outcome would look like, though, with layers of-  primer, silver, semi-gloss, full-gloss.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:37 pm »
Yep, I have an '08 and it is definitely what I would call gray with a blue bias. The '11 is much closer to what I think of as a true silver.

The '19 and '20's may buff out to a gloss though what a nightmare inside the fairing fins and similar. That said, one could tape off specific areas and just buff the <generally> flat (body shape here, not flat paint) to a gloss. ??

Just ride it until it's dirty, and call it a day.  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 01:21:13 pm »
Yeah, at this point that is probably what I will do. The semi- gloss paint in not quite right to me but it is not a deal- killer either. I would really prefer a new bike to get as much time out of the warranties (original and extended) as possible.

I will let it simmer for a while and start reaching out to dealers and see who wants to dump a new left- over, either a 2020 or 2019. Even something earlier would be fine although there is less chance of finding one of those.

Just ride it until it's dirty, and call it a day.  :chugbeer: